Unit 6 – Section A
●Language Focus – Words in Use
1. When employees participated in the problem-solving process, they were much more willing to (implement) solutions to the problems.
2. A strong police force has been placed between the two (rival) groups in the village to prevent fighting and killing.
3. Although personally we believe this to be of only secondary importance, its potential role in (motivating) innovative acts cannot be ignored.
4. Though many things have been changed culturally, there is a commitment and sense of responsibility that have not yet been (discarded) in today's society.
5. Western nations have older and shrinking populations since they entered the 21st century and their (fluctuating) birth rates have also posed problems.
6. She didn't want to marry him and was (prejudiced) against him because he had only a bachelor's degree and didn't meet her expectations for marriage.
7. The president is in trouble and will have to work hard to (restore) his credibility after people discovered that he was not telling the truth.
8. To study a number of subjects in the humanities has been both enjoyable and (enlightening) , providing me with a new and different perspective on the world in which we live.
9. People are concerned about the environment issue because air and water pollution not only affects everyone's health but also makes it difficult for businesses to (profit) .
10. Instead of ignoring or envying successful students, I made it my mission to (investigate) the mysterious causes of their success and greatness.
1. He's usually indifferent to the feelings of other people; he can neither understand nor (sympathize) with my eagerness and anxiety.
2. There has been no official (confirmation) that the documents are original, although different sources from the media and the public suggest that they are.
3. There's a consensus that the (strategic) defense of a country depends on a powerful air force and marine force, in addition to advanced arms.
4. Total construction time of the shop was about 30 days including the (installation) of the newly-imported machines and the assembly of the various parts.
5. To illustrate my point of view, I would like to (quote) from a source that many of us find more authoritative than the words of a businessman.
6. People need to be kind. Therefore, I am not ashamed to be regarded as (sympathetic) to the anxieties of those who are treated harshly in life.
7. In business, we often do things inappropriately. For example, we may (criticize) someone's work in front of their co-workers.
8. The restaurant has recently moved here because its owners want to provide a convenient (location) for their customers in this area.
9. Cultural awareness will help you when you learn the language. After all, language is a(n) (reflection) of the culture from which it developed.
10. Students are no longer learning how to (industrialize) agricultural economy; instead, they are learning the digital economy.
11. People living in this remote area for generations have harsh living conditions and poor (provision) of housing, food and medicines.
12. If you do not get the detailed information required for the school's (registration) , you may lose the opportunity to take the classes you want.
Simplifying is not necessarily about less. It can be about more: more time, more enjoyment, more accomplishment, and more of what (1) (profits) you. If you do a lot of things that don't bring you joy or support your long-term plan, then doing less of that kind of things makes sense because you can't (2) (preserve) everything. The purpose of simplifying is to remove what's not important.To understand what should be (3) (discarded), try to think of activities and things as either assets or obligations. An asset is something that is valuable. Some (4) (corresponding) examples are stocks, bonds, buildings, land, gold, etc., but a little more broadly, an asset is anything that can strengthen and (5) (motivate) you, moving you closer to your goals. However, obligations are debts. An obligation is anything that (6) (weakens) you, moves you farther from your goals, provides negative stress, creates anxiety, and decreases your health.Then how can you (7) (implement) the idea of simplifying? Think about your daily activities and start with just one area. For example, you may begin with (8) (obligations) by making a long list of your daily activities. Your list may (9) (revolve) around such routines as paying bills and planning a birthday party for a friend, etc. Do the activities get you closer to your goals? If not, (10) (modify) the list. Remove what is unnecessary in order to concentrate more on something important in your life.
●Language Focus – Expressions in Use
1. Though he was 80 years old, blind and hardly able to walk, his family (was attached to) him so much that they could hardly bear the thought of his death.
2. The support our volunteers provide to the community as well as society cannot (be measured in) purely practical terms, and their continuing contribution is vital.
3. Please don't forget the Tourist Guide, which should (come in handy) when you travel to different places in Asia and Europe for the next few weeks.
4. These people living in this area are still (clinging to) their traditions which give their life meaning and help them in answering many questions.
5. You will (pay a big price) for not learning English; you never know how much you will miss without being able to speak English.
6. If you (are exhausted from) travel and trying to adjust to a new time zone, you may not be
ready to face the new challenging environment yet.
7. The general manager of the company intends to introduce new management courses, and tighter controls will be (imposed on) internal management to raise efficiency.
8. Class discussions next week will (revolve around) the importance of love, communication and a close relationship between parents and their children.
Minimalism (极简主义) is about getting rid of excess stuff and keeping only what you need. Minimalist living, in simplest terms, is to live with as less as possible, mentally and physically until you achieve peace of mind. Results that ensue are less stress, more time, and increased happiness. Minimalists like to say that they're living more meaningfully, more deliberately, and that the minimalist lifestyle allows them to focus on what's more important in life: friends, hobbies, travel, experiences. Of course, minimalism doesn't mean there's anything inherently wrong with owning material possessions. Today's problem seems to be that we tend to give too much meaning to our things, often forsaking (抛弃) our health, our relationships, our passions, our personal growth, and our desire to contribute beyond ourselves. In addition to its application in people's daily life, minimalism also finds application in many creative disciplines, including art, architecture, design, dance, film making, theater, music, fashion, photography and literature.
国民幸福指数（National Happiness Index，NHI）是衡量人们幸福感的一种指数，也是衡量一个国家或地区经济发展、居民生活与幸福水平的指标工具。随着中国经济的高速增长，中国政府越来越重视人民群众生活质量和幸福指数的提升。政府注重改善民生，努力改善人民群众的经济状况，满足人民群众日益增长的物质文化需求。当前，中国政府提倡释放改革红利，让人民群众得到更多实惠。所有这些都将有效促进我国国民幸福指数不断提升。
National Happiness Index (NHI) is an index that measures how happy people are. It is also a tool that measures the levels of economic development and people's livelihood and happiness in a country or region. With the fast growth of Chinese economy, the Chinese government has been paying more and more attention to people's living quality and the increase of happiness index. The government stresses improvement of its people's livelihood, striving to improve their economic conditions and meet their growing material and cultural needs. Currently, the Chinese government advocates the unleashing of more reform dividends, with the aim of offering more real benefits to its people. All these measures will combine to effectively increase the NHI of our people.
Unit 6 – Section B
●Language Focus – Words in Use penetratespecifydistributerendercontroversyhighlightsubtractconcerningenforceimplication
1. Let your child make some of the small decisions (concerning) his daily life. For instance, allow him to choose what clothes he wears on weekends.
2. When he gives a talk, the topic is usually (specified) in advance, so you are able to expect what to follow without any difficulties.
3. Many of the newspapers focus their attention on the (controversy) surrounding the statements made in the recent report by the foreign secretary.
4. Many American universities make foreign students pass an English test once they arrive at the school because widespread cheating has (rendered) the TOEFL score unreliable.
5. In fact, most of the rules we follow in our social lives are not legally (enforced) , but we cannot ignore them simply because they are rules.
6. People who (distribute) destructive computer viruses via the Internet may be smart, but they misuse their talents.
7. The findings obtained from the survey (highlighted) a serious gap between people in consumer knowledge about personal finance management.
8. The (implication) in his article about women's role in modern society is that being a housewife is greatly inferior to every other occupation.
9. The female manager was a very beautiful, dark-haired woman, tall and well-built, and her (penetrating) eyes have been printed in my memory.
10. If you (subtract) your total expenses from your income, you can see at a glance how much of your income is left to spend each month.
●Language Focus – Expressions in Use
1. The book had considerable influence and (played a role) in stimulating the US government to make changes happen in environmental protection.
2. To my surprise, the man who was severely crippled and dressed untidily (turned out) to be the owner of the bookstore next to our school.
3. Many students changed majors and have to spend five or six years to get a degree, so they (are depressed about) the costs of the additional fees they must pay.
4. The country has been ready to (settle for) borrowing money abroad to maintain its people's standard of life.
5. Steve Finch (rushed into) his girlfriend's room without knocking or warning her in advance, so she felt embarrassed, blushed and speechless for a while.
6. Because of the harsh weather and terrible road condition, the car moved sideways on the ice and went (out of control) , hitting a coming truck.
7. While modern technologies are advancing, clever criminals are finding ways to break into computers and millions of dollars have been (transferred to) the hackers' accounts.
8. It was clear after the war this country could no longer (rely on) textile exports to increase most of its foreign exchange earnings.