1. He wanted to learn, to know, to teach.
2. She is young enough to get married.
3. From there I could see the whole valley below, the fields, the river, and the village. It was all very beautiful, and the sight of it filled me with longing. (N.S. Momaday: The End of My Childhood)
4〃We have 365 days in a year.
5〃He stood up straight with arms folded, and laughed at the cap hanging there on the pole.
6〃Our son must go to school. He must break out of the pot that holds us in.
7〃Is the press a great power in your country?
8〃Brown may say what he likes, but it is his wife who wears the trousers.
1) I took advice on the matter.
2) They are all of age.
3) It has made the headlines that the president’s wife threatened her husbands with public exposure.【译文】总统夫人说要公开揭发丈夫，这件事成了头条新闻。
4) He often talks horse.
5) They lingered long over his letter.
6) Between ourselves, I don’t think much of him.
7) There is something in the wind.
8) She has the qualities which go to the making of a good teacher.
9) You never realize how fortunate you are to have good health until it is suddenly brought home to you by the sight of suffering.
【译文】除非你亲眼目睹体弱多病之苦，不然，你是不会意识到你有一个健康的身体有多好。10) That notion is being nurtured by people.
11) Dawn breaking over the islands, very beautiful in a soft grey light with many clouds. There is a transparency about the light here which cannot be described or painted.
12) From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.
13) When we make friends, we should choose those who are our supporters in danger. (Aesop)
14) Only a very slight and very scattering ripples of half-hearted hand-clapping greeted him.
15) So long as we love we serve; so long as we are loved by others, I would almost say we are indispensable; and no man is useless while he has a friend.
(Robert Louis Stevenson)
1. Nor is the importance of trade likely to diminish for either China or the United States.
2.My fingers lingered almost unconsciously on the familiar leaves and blossoms which had just come forth to greet the sweet southern spring.
3.They say a person needs just three things to be truly happy in this world. Someone to love, something to do and something to hope for.
4.He smiled at that, with a rueful curve of his lips, but his eyes were alight with an emotion she was afraid to identify.
5．Alice was beginning to get very tired of sitting by her sister on the bank, and of having nothing to do: once or twice she had peeped into the book her sister was reading, but it had no pictures or conversations in it, “and what is the use of a book,” thought Alice, “without pictures or conversation?”【译文】爱丽丝无所事事，跟姐姐一起闲坐岸边，开始感到厌倦了。姐姐正在看书，她瞥了一两眼，但是那书上并没有图画或对话。爱丽丝想，一本书中如果没有图画或是对话，那它又有什么用呢？1.He excels others in every expect.
2. I get positively angry with the impertinence of it and the everlastingness.
3．China is a very big country with a very big population.
4．The key to everything is patience. You get the chicken by hatching the egg not by smashing it.
5．Histories make men wise; poets witty; the mathematics subtle; natural philosophy deep; moral grave; logic and rhetoric able to contend.
(Francis Bacon: Of Studies)
1．A man is in his best shape in the decade before age 25. His muscles are firmest, his resistance to colds and infections is highest, and his body is most efficient in utilizing nutrients.
2．After singing, she sits on audience’s hands.
3．Every time he comes to New York, he wants to paint the town red.
4．The game was rained off.
5．In the moment of fire，telephone the message to 119.
1. Everyone recognizes the importance of speaking English well. In school one of the chief things to learn and to practice may be the reading and writing of English, but in everyday life we convey our thoughts to other people by speaking far more often than by writing.
2．Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it, we go nowhere.
3．There are only three types of people: those who make things happen, those who watch things happen and those who say, “ What happened? ”
4. The real art of conversation is not only to say the right thing in the right place, but to leave the wrong thing unsaid at the tempting moment.
5. Kind hearts are the gardens; kind thoughts are the roots; kind words are the flowers; kind deeds are the fruits.
【译文】仁慈的心肠是花园；高尚的情操是根基；友好的话语是花朵；慷慨的行为是硕果。1．School is not easy and it is not for the most part very much fun, but then, if you are very lucky, you may find a real teacher. Three real teachers in a lifetime are the very best of my luck.
2. But what really is a clone? A clone is born from an embryo, which is genetically identical to the donor animal and is carried to term by a surrogate mother. The resulting newborn animal is essentially an ident ical twin of the donor “parent” with the same similarities and differences of such twins in that species.
Whatever the case, animal-cloning knowledge is growing rapidly and certainly holds applications we have not even imagines today. The ability to r eprogram a cell’s DNA may be one of the most significant biological achievements of the 20th Century.
3．My father had particularly large hands. Oil often was pounded into his palms, his fingers, filling every crease and fold. Buddy, as he was called, would scrub with soap, but the oil wouldn’t give. His hands were covered with scars, healing cuts, and freshly blackened nails. The cuts were of the sort and size that would send me, and most likely you as well, to the emergency room for stitches; for Buddy, they were commonplace.
4. He read over and over all the letters which he ever had from her—letters of business relative to the little property which he had made her believe her husband had left to her—brief notes of invitation—every scrap of writing that she had ever sent to him—how cold, how kind, how hopeless, how selfish they were!
(William Thackeray: V anity Fair)
5. There are many things that we do in our own culture that we never ask questions about. We do things without thinking about them because we have always done them in the same way. When we are in another culture or with people from a different culture, we see that people do things in many different ways. One of the first differences we notice is the forms of address that are used in the culture. The language that people use to address each other tells us many things about a culture.
1) We refused to take the advice and failed.
2) They are all of an age.
3) I was shanghaied in Shanghai.
4) Don’t ride the high horse.（趾高气扬，自鸣得意）
5) The teacher is popular with his students.（主动形式，被动意义）
6) He had a fast life, drinking and gambling.
7) Man has to fight his way through life on earth!
8) He would be quite a likeable fellow if only he wouldn’t act the goat so much.
1．I suppose that if a man has a confused mind he will write in a confused way, if his temper is capricious his prose will be fantastical, and if he has a quick, darting intelligence that is reminded by the matter in hand of a hundred things, he will, unless he has great self-control, load his pages with metaphor and simile.
2．I sincerely hope that your congratulations will be matched by your collective endeavour to seek a just and practical solution to the problem which has bedeviled the United Nations for so many years.【译文】我们诚恳地希望，你们在表示祝贺之后，能作出相应的共同努力，以便寻求一个公正可行的办法，来解决这个多年来一直困扰着联合国的问题。
3．They often do not realize that bribery in various forms is on the increase in many countries and, in some, has been a way of life for centuries.
4．Culture to him, as to the Orientals, with whom he lived so much and sympathized so deeply, was an affair of the spirit and of mind not to be measured by material progress, or, even by the arts.
5．With Asia’s economic meltdown rattling the Beijing leadership, Zhu and his colleagues now have a powerful argument that China must get its own house in order to prevent meddling by the International Monetary Fund or other outsiders. (China: Zhu is Taking a Broom to the Bureaucrats)【译文】亚洲经济出现的问题使北京领导层感到紧张，朱镕基和其他领导人现在更有理由相信，为了防止国际货币基金组织和其他的外部干涉，中国必须把自己的事情办好。
4．She is at home in English.
5．He and he alone could control the situation.
6．It is raining cats and dogs outside.
7．It is not half bad for a beginner.
8. Don’t make light of their design.
9．He is a foreign-language student.
10．I came to the university this day 25 years ago.
11．We’ll be there this time next month.
12．I’m something of a carpenter.
1．That region was the most identifiable trouble spot.
2．I closed my eyes and said a prayer of thanks before putting the car in gear and returning to the highway.
3．The station chief would have to be close to the director, a member of the inner circle.
4．This place is really beautiful, and many people bring their wives and families out here to live.
5．The music world and the world at large became poorer places on April 8, when Marian Anderson, the greatest alto from Philadelphia, died at 96. （按照时间顺序）
6．This preface must necessarily by short and modest, for I cannot claim to be an expert in painting, merely an ardent lover of the art.
7．He accomplished this by getting rid of the irons with which his wrists and ankles were shackled, cutting through a double grille of oak and iron bars, descending twenty-five feet by a knotted sheet and blanket, and climbing a twenty-two-foot wall.（按照空间顺序）
8．A quarter of century ago the General Assembly and the Security Council symbolized, especially for the small countries, the supreme guarantee of a new international order based on peace and justice.（按照信息中心）
9．This man fished alone in a small boat; just like the protagonist of Ernest Hemingway’s the Old Man and the Sea, and endured a struggle just as epic, but lost the battle and his life. （按照搭配需要）
10. She had spent a sleepless night, and rising early had stood, wrapped up, at her window, with the cool air blowing on her face, to watch the dawn.
1．Failure to greet a person you recognize or to answer a greeting given to you is an unkindness to the other person, and very bad manners.
2．It was a keen disappointment when I had to postpone the visit which I had intended to pay to China in January.
3．Now Jane is delighted to get her diploma. For twice she had wanted to quit school, but she changed her mind with the help of her teacher.
4．He saw advertised in the local newspaper a teaching post from a school not far from where he lived. （宾语后置）
5．Have to be tough with you, I know that. Talking nicely is just waste of time.
6．Although they were promised better housing in the North, some families were forced to live in overcrowded and unhealthy quarters.
7．The most valuable in life is life; the greatest necessity in life is study; the greatest pleasure in life is work, while the most important in life is friendship. (Stalin)
【译文】人生最宝贵的是生命，人生最需要的是学习，人生最愉快的是工作，人生最重要的是友谊。8．All the problems can be solved by ourselves when we use our brain.
9．The modern nuclear family was rooted in the desire to live happily in a more equal marriage, where the raising of children and investment of both parents in the children’s lives were guaranteed by bonds of friendship between the parents, which were based on rational love.
1）He is little of a scholar.
2）He is very much of a poet.
3）He’s only not a boy.
4）Not knowing her telephone number, I can not contact her immediately.
5) Ignorance is the mother of fear as well as of admiration.
6) With all his achievements he remains modest and prudent.
7) Everything considered, your essay seems better written.
8) We maintain that no peace situation is permanent which does not take into account the legitimate wishes of the majority of the people of any country.
【译文】我们认为，如果不尊重一个国家大多数人民的正当愿望，任何和平局面都不会是持久的。9) It would have been of as much avail to interrogate any stone face outside chateau as to interrogate that face of his.
【译文】从他那张脸上审视不出什么，正如从城堡外面任何一块石头表面上审视不出什么一样。10) Surgeon that Fleming was, he did not know penicillin which kills bacteria and germs.
1）He felt a qualm in his stomach, and it was more in memory of his own loneliness than anticipation of hers.（按照信息中心译）
2）For example, a girl student who had difficulty studying made dramatic strides when she got a better desk lamp and moved her desk away from her bed.（按照时间顺序）
3）A reader’s perception of the loose, slangy, colloquial, shirt-sleeved quality of much modern prose will be sharpened if he has experienced the conscious elegance of eighteenth-century writers and the solemn lecture-hall pronouncements of the Victorians. （按照逻辑顺序译）
4）Based on national realities and taking reasonable aspects of foreign economies, Chinese economists are working to establish socialist market economy, which ensures economic activities follow the requirements of the law of value and the changing relationship between supply and demand. （按照搭配需要译）
5)There are few moments in life that bring husband and wife closer in reflective communion than the first October moment by a blazing hearth when they inhale the odor of mothballs in each other’s sweaters and agree it’s time they once again had a long talk.
1）No matter how bad the world may become, no matter how much the mass man of the future may lose such of the virtues as he still has, one fact remains. If one person alone refuses to go along with him, if one person alone asserts his individual and inner right to believe in and be loyal to what his fellow men seem to have given up, then at least he will still retain what is perhaps the most important part of humanity.
2) Four days after setting out, while the Titanic was sailing across the icy waters of the North Atlantic, a huge iceberg was suddenly spotted by a lookout. After the alarm had been given, the great ship turned sharply to avoid a direct collision. The Titanic turned just in time, narrowly missing the immense wall of ice which rose over 100 feet out of the water beside her.
1. How to explain that I was not a proud owner seeking admiration for his vehicle, but a tourist who had broken down?
2. It is actually very, very old and was not always as beautiful as it is now. It is not certain how the Earth began.Probably it began as a huge globe of gas and dust. The globe became smaller and denser. … Today the outer layer or crust is cool and hard, …
3. Special equipment assures that the computers will not be disturbed by power interruptions that last less than two hours.
4. It was not anger, nor surprise, nor disapproval, nor horror, nor any of the emotions that she had been prepared for.
5. Modern geology has for its aim the deciphering of the whole evolution of the earth from the time of the earlier records that can be recognized in the rocks to the present day.
1. Promotions are wonderful but they must be deserved. And we deserve it, only if we serve the people.【改后译文】提升是好事，但必须受之无愧。我们只有坚持为人民服务才能受之无愧。
2. It looks like it will be a mild, but rainy weekend.
3. It emerged casually and as a byproduct of our conversation.
4. His air of self-assurance and somewhat lordly bearing would have frightened me, had it not been for his warm and hearty handshake.
5. Without his knowledge, the matchmakers were at work.
6. I was like that ship before my education began, only I was without compass or sounding-line.
7. The best way is to make your interests gradually wider and more impersonal.
【改后译文】最好的办法就是要逐渐使自己关心更多的事情，甚至关心那些跟自己无关的事情。8. The broker’s hour is not only crowded, but minutes and seconds are hanging to all the traps and packing both front and rear platforms. (O. Henry)
9. He would study and work hard, he would do anything he was asked to do but return to his old life, which has turned to ashes beneath his feet.
10. Good, better, best, Never let it rest, Till good is better, And better best.
1.The sky turned to a tender pallet of pink and blue.
2. She had never let him know—never breathed a word.
3.The president now is on a poverty tour.
4. She doctored in the countryside.
5. The old man carefully doctored the split in the cane chair.
6. The mayor of New York City is the Time magazine’s 2001 Person of the Year.
7. The girls all like Bob because he is a football captain. Nothing succeeds like success.
8. An expensive failure can be made into an asset if you’ve learnt from it, but Monsanto still has some learning to do.
1. We greatly appreciate your kindness.
2. Do you appreciate the difficulties involved in this undertaking?
3. We all appreciate a holiday after a year of hard work.
4. He can appreciate classical music.
5. His failure to answer question made the police suspicious.
6. Man is extending his eyes with radar.
7. It cost him a sight of trouble.
8. The instrument is of great interest, involving as it does a new principle of work.
【译文】该仪器由于涉及新的工作原理而具有意义。(as it does是个短语，意思是“实际上”，在句子中作状语)
1) The editor praised his paper and suggested only one change.
2) He knows no more life than the child unborn.
3) It is beyond the power of medicine to cure him.
4) While this may be an exaggeration, there is a bit of truth in it.
5) It’s been scientifically proven that frequent kissing stabilizes cardiovascular activity, decreases high blood pressure, cholesterol and overall makes one’s life better.
6 ) The expansion of the higher education system has turned universities from institutions for the elite to ones for the masses.
7) Brilliant young scholars or inventive industrial geniuses are hampered in technical research because they hesitate to disagree with their “superiors”.
【译文】才华横溢的青年学者、创造发明天才因为不愿与“师长”唱对台戏，而在科研上裹足不前。8) We alone do good to our neighbors not upon a calculation of interest, but in the confidence of freedom and in a frank and fearless spirit. (Thucydides: History)
9) I am disgusted she saw the man as a reminder to lock her doors. I wonder if he noticed us doing so. I wonder how it feels when people lock their doors at the sight of you.
10) Man is born free; and everywhere he is in chains. One thinks himself the master of others, and still remains a greater slave than they. … To renounce liberty is to renounce being a man, to surrender the rights of humanity and even its duties. For him who renounces everything no indemnity is possible. 【译文】人天生是自由的，可处处受到约束。那种自以为给别人当主子的人，反倒比别人更是奴才。……放弃自己的自由，就是放弃自己做人的资格，放弃人的权利，甚至于是放弃自己的义务。一个人放弃了一切，是不可能有任何东西作补偿的。
1. Just as exercise strengthens the heart and lungs, bones and muscles, it may also power up the brain.【译文】运动不但能强心、健肺、壮骨、筋肌，而且还能健脑。
2. We shall never see his match.
3. The vote was 35 to 25, a margin of 10.
4. The report is thoroughly sourced.
5. This hotel can’t be matched for friendliness.
6. She was rather advanced in years for a maiden.
7. Every one of us poured forth his expertise.
8. I’ll not abuse your hospitality.
9. I long for you terribly. The moment we say good-bye and I close the door, my torment begins.
10. Our arguments were often brought before our father, and I guess I was either generally in the right, or else a better debater, because the judgment was usually in my favor.
1) The sales of the book went deeply into the millions.
2) He is four going on five.
3) A pound does not go far these days.
4) I’ll give you ￡50, but I can't go any further.
5) This will go a long way toward world peace.
6) A fine appearance and comfort do not usually go together.
7) She has the qualities which go to the making of a good teacher.
8) A foreign language will go far towards widening our mental horizon.
9) What he says goes.
10) He made a promise and then went back on it.
1．How they bow to that Creole because of her hundred thousand pounds!
【译文】瞧她们对那个克里奥尔奉承讨好的样儿，还不是看她有成千上万的财产吗！（深化）2．The custom had its spring in another country.
3．David is swollen in everything, in body and in mind.
4．The high-ceilinged room, the little balconies, alcoves, nooks and angles all suggest sanctuary, escape, creature comfort.
5．…and she held honour—a cheque for twenty thousand pounds with his signature —quite firmly in her hands.
1．The newspaper claims to be the mirror of the public opinion.
2．Application of laser in medicine is still in its infancy.
3．But no one forces you to go to sea. It gets in your blood.
4．She was, to be sure, a girl who excited the emotions, but I was not one to let my heart rule my head. 【译文】她确实是一个动情的姑娘，不过我不是一个让感情支配理智的人。
5．As far as the head goes, at least, she does credit to the educational system pursued at my establishment.
6．He gave up the sword for the plough.
7．Behind him I see the long grey rollers of the Atlantic at work.
8．But, if public dissatisfaction continues to grow, or appears to do so, politicians may conclude that they have to do something, usually in the name of reform.
9．A mixture of fear of the unknown and fear of disenchantment was tormenting her.
10．But it is best not to be intimate with gentlemen of this profession, and to take the calculations at second-hand, as you do logarithms, for to work them yourself, depend upon it, will cost you something considerable. (W. Thackeray: V anity Fair)
1．How do we account for this split between the critics and the readers, the head and the heart?
2．He has a very satirical eye. And if I do not begin by being impertinent myself, I shall soon grow afraid of him. (Jane Austen: Pride and Prejudice)
3．It is easy to think to oneself that one’s emotions used to be more vivid than they are, and one’s mind more keen.
4．They exhibited neither their glory nor superiority.
5．A thousand mustaches can live together, but not four breasts.
6．There is a mixture of the tiger and the ape in the character of the terrorists.
7．During the war, he was an embryo surgeon, and joined the mobile medical team.
8．Honesty pays itself.
9．“You don’t look like a magician.”
“What do I look like?”
“I did saw away at a fiddle once.”
“You did? Well, what’s the difference what you do so long as you make, you know what.” And she rubbed her thumb in her palm.
10. In a surprising display of accessibility, Beijing's top leaders have been meeting with almost every American visitor, right down to the lowliest junior congressional representative in town.
1．Don’t count your chickens before they are hatched.
2．I wonder whether he is a Trojan Horse.
3．Last night I heard him driving his pigs to market.
4．He speaks as if there were a frog in his throat.
5．Andrea thought her mother’s ideas about dating were old hat.
1．Common sense and good nature will do a lot to make the pilgrimage of life not too difficult to a light woman.
2．The sea adds something to the appearance of Qingdao.
3．You’re the only girl I’ve ever seen that actually did look like something blooming.
4．The boys went back to camp, a good deal awed, but they found there was still something to be thankful for, because the great sycamore, the shelter of their beds, was a ruin now, blasted by the lightnings and they were not under it when the catastrophe happened.
（Mark Twain: The Adventures of Tom Sawyer）
5．If you are a man，you can point out that most poets and men of science are male; if you are a woman, you can retort that so are most criminals.
1．There is safety in numbers.
2．When he tossed a much-ballyhooed party in Persepolis three years age to celebrate Persia’s 2500th anniversary, he invited virtually everybody who was anybody —but mostly nobodies showed up.
3. Rip was, moreover, a kind neighbour, and an obedient hen-packed husband.
4.Call me what instrument you will, though you can fret me, yet you cannot play upon me.
5.When I first knew you, I tingled. I would have washed your feet and drunk the bathwater. But when
I knew you better, I told myself, Ze ftel, it’s a waste—all this trembling.
1）The house is over against the university.
2）We’re up against all sorts of difficulties.
3）The huge waves hurling themselves against the rock broke into clouds of spray.
4）The factory has produced 85 000 tons of sugar this year, as against the 60 000 tons of last year.
【译文】这个厂今年生产了85 000吨糖，而去年只生产了60 000吨。（形成“对照”）
5）He saves money against the rainy day.
6）Charge it against my account.
7）She drew a check against her bank balance.
8）We must not cross the street against the light.
9）His appearance is against him.
10）He was helpless against such forces.
1) He can mature alcohol electrically.
2) He had his ups and downs.
3) And I have an uneasy feeling he had something there.
4) He was watching me or something for an hour or two.
5) Theory is something but practice is everything.
6) In learning English, grammar is not everything.
7) Dust has a very important part to play in the work of nature.
8) Is Jane a possibility as a wife for Richard? (=a suitable person)
9) I was not one to let my heart rule my head.
10) She didn’t think of that the beautiful umbrella bought the day before should become a Helen of Troy in her family. Because of this she and her husband quarreled for a long time.
1）There is something behind, I think.
2) They are nameless nothing.
3) He is really something!
4) She is as fair as Helen.
5) They predicted the youth would have a bright future.
6) The adoption of the new policies will surely lead to some striking results.
7) The enemy killed one of our comrades, and we killed an enemy agent.
8) There would have been more painful result but for the drastic measures.
9) Mr Brown felt greatly flattered when he received the invitation to deliver a lecture.
10) He thinks himself to be something, but actually he is nothing.
1．He went to see the artist himself.
2. He is capable of doing anything.
3．Flying planes is dangerous.（动名词）
Flying planes are dangerous.（分词）
4．Bruce was writing a poem on an ancient tomb stone.
【译文二】布鲁斯正在写一首关于古代墓碑的诗。（on作“关于”讲）5．I decided on the boat.
6．She did n’t do that to please her mother.
(=She didn’t do that in order to please her mother.) 【译文二】她做那事并不是为了使她母亲高兴。
(=She did that not to please her mother.)
7．I didn’t go because I was afraid.
8．I didn’t write the letter because of what you told me.
9.They can fish.
10．They are visiting friends.
4．Bad Good News (Time)
5．I like a smuggler. He is the only honest thief. (Lamb)
6．I like sweet-sour apricots.
7．They had a love-hate relationship.
8．It is a mater of life and death.
1．He sat perfectly quietly, and never spoke a syllable.
2．Yes, young men, Italy owes to you an undertaking which has merited the applause of the universe.【译文】是的，年轻人，意大利由于有了你们，才得以成就这撼世的伟业。
3．I would rather be a poor man in a garret with plenty of good books to read than a king who did not love reading.
4．My first look was for the Schooner. She had disappeared, and I supposed she was just settling under water. It rained as if the flood of Heaven were opened, and it lightened awfully. I could hear many men around me, and, occasionally, I saw the heads of men struggling in the lake. （College Core English, B.III）
【译文】我首先要找的是那条纵帆船。她已经不见了，估计她正在水中下沉。雨倾盆而下，犹如天上的水闸打开了，电光霍霍，令人畏惧。我可以听到自己周围有很多人，偶尔还看见湖面上挣扎的人头。5．Mrs. Clark is dying, she lies motionless: the head seems unusually large on a skeleton body; the skin is dark yellow and hangs loosely around exaggerated bones that not even a blanket can hide; the right arm lies straight out at the side, taped cruelly to a board to secure a needle so that fluid may drip in; the left arm is across the sunken chest, which rises and falls with the uneven breaths. (New Horizon College English, BIII)
1．There is always a market for good ideas.
2. Judicious praise is to children what the sun is to flowers.
3．All that I had to show, as a man of letters, were these few tales and essays, which had blossomed out like flowers in the calm summer of my heart and mind.
4．Intellectual assimilation takes time. The mind is not to be enriched as a coal barge is loaded. Whatever is precious in a cargo is carefully on board and carefully placed. Whatever is delicate and fine must be received delicately, and its place in the mind thoughtfully assigned. (Arlo Bates)
1．He is lying on his side.
2．A thing of beauty is a joy forever.
3．A smile would come into Mr Pickwick’s face, the smile extended into a laugh, the laugh into a roar,