Unit 1 Global Warming
Keys to the Exercises
1. Skim Reading 1 and answer the questions below.
1) What four disasters are more frequent than in the past according to paragraph one?
Hurricanes, flooding, droughts and forest fires.
2) What are two harmful effects of global warming on animals and nature?
The number of animals per species has been decreasing and some animals spread diseases to human beings.
3) What are the two effects of ozone depletion?
Crops cannot survive and more people suffer skin cancer.
4) What are two factors causing global warming mentioned in the passage?
Greenhouse gases and ozone depletion.
5) Why don‟t people think global warming is a problem?
Because it does not affect them directly.
2. Match the words and phrases with their definitions according to Reading 1.
1) e2) g3) d4) j5) a6) i7) f8) k9) h10) c11) l12) b
4. Skim Reading 2 for the questions below.
1) What is the relationship between global warming and greenhouse gases?
Global warming is the effect of greenhouse gases.
2) What role does seawater play in global warming?
The increasing temperature of seawater will release more CO2, which will aggravate global warming.
3) What is the significance of developing new sources of energy?
It can reduce the release of greenhouse gases.
4) Compared with water vapor, what's the major characteristic of carbon dioxide?
Carbon dioxide, once released, will last up to 100 years in the atmosphere.
5. Integrate information in Reading 1 and Reading 2 and f ill in the following table.
The Causes of Global
The Effects of
The Effect of Global
and Ozone Depletion
1) ongoing burning of fossil fuels
2) release of greenhouse gases
3) greenhouse effect
4) rising temperature of seawater 1) build up to keep heat
2) thin the ozone layer
1) exist in climate change
2) affect animals and nature
3) can be found in plants
4) affect nature, people and the
1) allow harmful rays from the
reach the earth
2) increase skin cancer patients