1. The police are _____ for the thief in the region now.
2. What is the reason for _____ on time?
A. not your coming
B. you not come
C. your not coming
D. you not to come
3. The college is planning to offer more English courses to _____ the needs of beginners of English.
A. meet with
D. satisfy with
4. He kept silent, so I couldn’t know _____ he agreed _____ not.
A. if; or
B. whether; or
C. either; or
D. neither; nor
5. He had never given a speech to so many people, so he felt _____.
6. Once you arrive in a new place, you’d better _____the local custom.
7. The manner _____ which he talked reminded us _____ his grandfather.
A. on; towards
B. at; in
C. for; by
D. in; of
8. All of us still remember the terrible earthquake that _____ Wenchuan four years ago.
9. —Our holiday cost a lot of money.
—Did it? Well, that doesn’t matter _____ you enjoyed your selves.
B. as far as
C. as long as
10. I didn’t hear _____ because there was too much noise where I was sitting.
A. what did he say
B. what he said
C. what was he saying
D. what for him to say
11. I found her sitting in the corner, reading _____ newspaper, with _____ in her eyes.
A. a; tear
B. a picece; tears
C. a; tears
D. a piece of; tear
12. _____ you decide to do, you should try to make it a success.
A. If only
13. So loudly _____ that all the people in the room got a fright.
A. he shouted
B. shout he
C. did he shout
D. he did shout
14. Let’s put the matter to the vote and not waste our time arguing about it, _____ ?
A. shall we
B. can we
C. may I
D. will you
15. Your children must stop _____ me by asking for candy all day long. I am _____ every day by the slow bus service in this town.
A. annoyed; annoying
B. to annoy; annoying
C. annoying; annoying
D. annoying; annoyed
16. He _____ by his sister at that moment.
A. happened to see
B. was happened to see
C. was happened to be seen
D. happened to be seen
17. We consider _____ the machine should be adjusted each time it is used.
A. that it necessary
B. necessary it that
C. it that necessary
D. it necessary that
18. —I don’t drink coffee at all.
A. So don’t I
B. I do either
C. Nor I do
D. Neither do I
19. He made another wonderful discovery, _____ of great importance to science.
A. which I think is
B. which I think it is
C. which I think it
D. I think is
20. His fellow workers saw him fall down and blood came out from the open _____ .
21. She heard a continual strange noise coming from the next room, her heart _____ fast.
22. —You should have thanked her before you left.
—I meant _____ , but when I was leaving I couldn’t find her anywhere.
A. to do
D. doing so
23. He is the sort of businessman who would do anything in his _____ of profit.
24. Either of _____ is quite capable of the work.
B. the girls
D. the girl
25. This treatment works for people of all ages, for the baby _____ for the old man.
A.as far as
B.as much as
C.as long as
D.as well as
26. I like watching TV _____ to the cinema.
A. more than to go
B. than going
C. more than going
D. rather than to go
31. Tom’s bedroom was in a _____ , for boo ks and papers were here and there.
32. A car _____ Jane’s cat and sped away.
33. _____ idea of _____ sounds much better than Clare’s.
34. I made this myself but it was _____ who taught me.
35. It was in the factory _____ you worked five years ago _____ you learned the technique.
A. that; where
B. where; when
C. where; where
D. where; that
36. We must get there before 7 o’clock. That’s _____ we have to start so early.
A. the reason that
B. the reason for why
C. why that
37. You can only fly to London this evening _____ you don’t mind changi ng planes in Paris.
38. _____ looked up in alarm.
A. All the present women
B. All the women present
C. The all women present
D. The all present women
39. The cost of living in Glasgow is among the lowest in Britain, _____ the quality of life is probably one of the highest.
40. —Do you like the material?
—Yes, it _____ very soft.
A. is felling
D. is felt
86. He talks about you nine times out of ten when we have a chat.
87. That’s the last thing I’d expect you to do.
88. Not all the new drugs have been sufficiently tested for safety.
89. We will not make greater progress unless we face up any difficulties bravely.
90. We are used to thinking that women enjoy shopping more than men. 改错
91. It was A kind of him to meet B me at the station and drove C me to his home D.
92. A house built A of brick lasts B longer than the one that is C made of woods D.
93. Neither A he nor his two brothers was B responsible for C the fire which had caused D great losses to the family.
94. The professor’s A lecture on grammar was B three hours long C and Sam felt very boring D.
95. I asked A him where B he’d like to C go to D.
96. The climate A here B is often said to be similar in C that D of Japan.
97. Although he is considered A a great writer, but B his works are C not widely read D.
98. Without A the sun we would B freeze to die C and starve in D almost
99. Japan, after the A Second World War, grew into B an industrial C country rapid D.
100. I’m afraid A that I have to stop to talk B with you because C I have to go to the doctor’s D for my toothache.