Module 1 Unit 3
意，也不会屈服。(determine, change one’s mind, give in)
4. 请耐心点。火车十分钟后到。(be doing 表将来)
1. Jack gave me a determined look, which showed me that he
would neither change his mind nor give in.
2. It took one week to transport the food, clothes and medicine to the disaster-hit area.
3. The old man was stubborn and refused to move in with his daughter after he became ill.
4. Please be patient. The train is arriving in ten minutes.
Module 1 Unit 4
1. 好像他的事业就快要结束了。(It seems/ seemed that…, at an end)
3. 消防员没有多考虑个人的安危,像平常一样将困在大火中的人员援救出来.(think little of, rescue, be trapped in)
4. 在村庄的东边有一幢蓝顶的白房子。(on the east, with )
5.听完他的话，那个可怜的女孩泪水夺眶而出，冲出门外。(burst, rush out ) Keys:
1. It seems that his career is at an end.
2. Sixty percent of the travelers prefer to live in the rooms whose windows face south.
3. The firefighters thought little of their personal safety and as usual rescued the people who were trapped in the fire.
4. On the east side of the village there is a small white house with a blue roof.
5. After hearing his words, the poor girl burst into tears and rushed from the room.
Module 1 Unit 5
1. 一些人破门设法从失火的房子里逃了出来。（escape from; by doing sth）
2. 上一次考试考砸了之后，那个男孩向父母许诺今后会努力学习。(After doing…)
3. 我在小学的时候就认识他---- 事实上我们那时在同一个年级。（as a matter of
4. 德兰修女(Mother Teresa) 把自己毕生的精力都倾注在照顾穷苦人之上。（devote …to…）
6. 约翰要给捡到他钱包的出租司机一百元作为酬劳。（reward; wallet; who）
1. Some people managed to escape from the burning building by breaking down the
2. After doing such a poor job in the last exam, the boy promised his parents he would
study much harder in the future.
3. I knew him when we were in primary school- as a matter of fact we were in the
4. Mother Teresa has devoted all her life to caring for the poor.
5. There are several stores in which you can buy the items you want.
6. John wanted to give 100 yuan as a reward to the taxi driver who had found his
Module 2 Unit 1
1.除非我们净化我们的环境，否则人类可能将无法生存。（clean up, survive）
3.他已决定去巴黎渡假，而不去伦敦。( rather than )
4.我家门前的漂亮新车是我邻居的，不是我的。( belong to )
which; be grateful )
6.他那么粗鲁地和老板说话，难怪会被解雇。( no wonder )
1. Unless we clean up our environment, human beings may not survive.
2. This is one of the best films that I have ever seen.
3. He has decided to go to Paris for his holiday rather than London.
4. The beautiful new car in front of my home belongs to my neighbour not me.
5. She gave us food and clothes and asked for nothing in return, which made us very
6. After speaking the boss so rudely it was no wonder that he was fired.
Module 2 Unit 2
1. 当午餐的铃声敲响的时候, 学生们一个接一个走出教室。(one after another)
2. 经理不在时, 他负责这个商店. (in charge of)
3. 他最终向警察承认他也加入了犯罪活动。(admit, take part in, crime)
4. 他训练了很长的一段时间，所以获得比赛的胜利是他应得的。（deserve, so）
1. When the bell rang for lunch the students came out of classroom one after another.
2. He was left in charge of the shop while the manager was away.
3. He finally admitted to the police that he had taken part in the crime as well.
4. He’s been training for a long time, so h e deserved to win the race.
5. In most western countries store prices are fixed and people cannot bargain
Module 2 Unit 3
2. 由于新一轮抛售的波浪，股市出现了进一步的下跌。(as a result of, there be, a
4. 她将会公开露脸，为她最新的小说签名。（appearance, sign）
5. 这个母亲正看护着她熟睡的孩子。(watch over)
1. Although most people considered his goal to be unrealistic, he was sure that he could achieve it with hard work.
2. As a result of a fresh wave of selling, there was a further fall in the stock market.
3. New problems will inevitably arise as our society and economy develop.
4. She will be making a public appearance, signing copies of her latest novel.
5. The mother is watching over her sleeping child now.
Module 2 Unit 4
1. 由于人类的过度猎捕，许多动物都已经灭绝了。( die out,)
2. 飞机安全着陆之后，一些人喜笑颜开，而另一些人欣慰地哭了。(burst into
laughter; while; cry in relief)
3. 开车的时候，你应该注意路标。( pay attention to; road signs)
4. 香烟含有很多影响健康的化学成分，这是众所周知的事实。(contain; chemicals;
5. 政府提出了一项新的政策，旨在保护城市里一些重要的历史遗迹。( put forward,
pay attention to, preserve )
6. 根据气象报告，今天将会是一个晴朗的日子。( according to)
1. Because of over-hunting by human beings, many animals have died out.
2. After the plane landed safely, some people burst into laughter while other cried in relief.
3. While driving, you should pay attention to the road signs.
4. It is a well known fact that cigarettes contain many chemicals that will affect your health.
5. The government has put forward a new policy aimed at preserving the city’s important historic sites.
6. According to the weather report, it will be sunny today.
Module 2 Unit 5
1. 我梦想将来的某一天能周游全世界。(dream of)
2. 说实话，我要在公共场合演讲还是太紧张了。（to be honest；too… to）
3.有时候他在街头或地铁里为过路人演奏来挣些额外的钱。（passers-by; so that; earn; extra）
4. 我很独立，不喜欢依赖别人来获得帮助。(be independent; rely on )
5. 在我还没来得及熟悉这个乐队的音乐之前，他们就解散了。( have the chance to;
get familiar with; break up；)
6. 除了自信，她还非常漂亮也非常敏感。(in addition to; confident; attractive;
7. 我将与你的友谊视为是最重要的。（above all else）
1. I dream of traveling around the world one day in future.
2. To be honest, I’m too nervous to give a speech in public.
3. Sometimes he plays his guitar to passers-by in the street or subway so that he can earn some extra money.
4. I am independent and don’t like to rely on others for help.
5. Before I had the chance to get familiar with their music, the band broke up.
6. In addition to being confident, she is also attractive and sensitive.
7. I value your friendship above all else.
Module 3 Unit 1
1. 这间医院是为了纪念孙中山先生而建的。(in memory of)
2. 孩子们盼望着万圣节，在那时候他们可以盛装打扮并互相捉弄。(look forward
to; dress up; play tricks on)
诺言的人。(keep one’s word)
5. 她的相貌令他想起他亲爱的母亲。他母亲多年前已经去世。(remind … of …，
6. 他屏住气，一头扎进河里。(hold one’s breath)
8. 如果你想获得她的原谅，就必须真诚地道歉。(apologize; forgive)
9. 他们一获得许可就马上出发去灾区。(set off; permission)
1. The hospital was built in memory of Dr. Sun Yat-sen.
2. Children always look forward to Halloween because they can dress up and play tricks on each other.
3. He has promised to attend today’s meeting so I’m sure that he will come because he is a man who always keeps his word.
4. It was obvious to everyone that he was lying.
5. Her face reminded him of his dear mother, who had passed away many years earlier.
6. He held his breath and dived headlong into the river.
7. The farmers were gathering crops in the field when they heard the drowning girl calling for help.
8. If you want her to forgive you, you should sincerely apologize.
9. They set off for the disaster area as soon as they got the permission.
Module 3 Unit 2
1. 如果你时常请教老师的话，你将会受益匪浅。(benefit，consult with)
2. 他认为自己能够逃过学习而考试，但最后他失败了。( get away with )
3. 除非你保持均衡的饮食，否则将会增加体重。(a balanced diet, put on weight )
5. 在做了一个另人惊叹的演讲之后，他又赢回了同事们的支持。(win back…)
6. 他谋求良好生活的能力受到了他缺乏教育的限制。(earn a good living, be limited by; lack of)
9. 这两姐妹一定是吵架了，因为他们互不理睬。(must have done)
1. You will benefit greatly if you regularly consult with your teacher.
2. He thought he could get away with not studying for the exam, but in the end he failed.
3. Unless you keep a balanced diet, you will put on weight.
4. He was amazed at the great changes that had taken place in his hometown.
5. After making a wonderful speech, he was able to win back the support of his colleagues.
6. His ability to earn a good living is limited by his lack of education.
7. Before moving into the new house, he threw away the things he didn’t need.
8. His greatest strength is also his most serious weakness.
9. The sisters must have had an argument because they are no longer talking to each other.
Module 3 Unit 3
2. 父母去世后，他由他的姐姐抚养长大。(bring up)
3. 咱们应该怎样处理这些废报纸？(do with)
6. 没人能对他的旷课做出解释。(account for)
7. 我决定还是求稳不要冒险。(take a chance；rather than)
1. This news report is based entirely on facts.
2. After his parents died, he was brought up by his elder sister.
3. What shall we do with the waste paper?
4. We will have a picnic in the woods, weather permitting.
5. When I arrived, I found the door closed.
6. Nobody could account for his absence from school.
7. I decided to play it safe rather than take a chance.
1. 既然你已经通过了驾驶考试，你就可以独自开车了。(now that)
3. 昨天晚会的气氛非常欢快，每一个人都度过了美好的时光。(atmosphere; joyful)
4. 当他意识到他可以及时到达赶上飞机时，他终于振奋起来。(in time;cheer up)
5. 听说她生了一个如此大的男婴，我们都感到非常惊讶。（give birth to）
6. 我经常感到疑惑，为什么有些家长允许自己的孩子暴力影片。（wonder ; allow）
7. 美国最大银行的倒闭引发了(set off)连锁的破产现象(bankruptcies)，导致了许多人失去了自己的家园。(lead to, a chain action;)
1. Now that you have passed the driving test, you can drive on your own.
2. What prevented him from attending our meeting still remains a mystery.
3. The atmosphere at the party yesterday was very joyful and everyone had a great time.
4. He finally cheered up when he realized he would arrive in time to catch the plane.
5. We were amazed to hear that she had given birth to such a large baby boy.
6. I often wonder why some parents allow their children to watch violent movies.
7. The collapse of America’s largest bank set off a chain reaction of bankruptcies and led to many people losing their homes.
1. 外面的噪音不断，我无法安下心来学习。(settle down)
2. 这个6岁的小孩有讲故事的天赋。(have a gift for)
5 这幅画是传统与现代的结合。( a mixture; the traditional; the modern)
6. 站在塔顶上，我仍能看到远处的山( in the distance)
1. With so much noise, I couldn’t settle down to study.
2. This 6-year-old boy has a gift for telling stories.
3. The well-behaved Beijing citizens and enthusiastic volunteers greatly impressed the
foreign athletes who attended the Olympic Games.
4. He refused to confirm the rumor that they would hold the wedding ceremony next month.
5. This painting is a mixture of the traditional and the modern.
6. Standing at the top of the tower, I could see the mountains in the distance.
Module 4 Unit 1
1.他不需要很多钱，并且很乐于过着简单的生活。（lead a … life）
3.老师在讲台前不用看就可以知道哪个学生表现不好。（without doing, behave）
1. He doesn’t need much money and is happy to lead a simple life.
2. It is a proud traditional in China to have four generations living under one roof.
3. Without looking up from her desk the teacher knew which student was behaving badly.
4. We must carry on working if we are to finish on time.
5. I came across my friend by chance when I was leaving the supermarket.
6. My teacher’s words inspired me to work harder than ever before.
7. Protecting env ironment is everyone’s responsibility.
8. I realized I had left my keys at work only after returning home.
9. By following the teacher’s advice I was able to quickly improve my English.
Module 4 Unit 2
1. 多亏了每一个人的辛勤努力，表演取得了巨大的成功。(thanks to)
2. 吉姆悄悄溜进房间，没有打扰父母。（without disturbing）
3. 我宁愿为理想奋斗，不愿意放弃而他日后悔。(would rather…than; struggle for)
4. 美国总统来华访问，希望改善两国之间的关系。(with the hope of…)
5. 正是那个司机的粗心导致了这场车祸。( lead to, 用上强调句)
1. Thanks t o everyone’s hard work, the performance was a great success.
2. Jim slipped into the room without disturbing his parents.
3. I would rather struggle for my dream than give it up and regret it later in my life.
4. The president of the USA paid a visit to China with the hope of improving the relationship between the two countries.
5. It was the driver’s carelessness that led to the car accident.
6. After many years of struggle, they were able to build up their business and become rich.
7. We were annoyed because she refused to tell us what she did over the weekend.
Module 4 Unit 3
1. 过去他们很贫困，根本谈不上度假。( too…to…, badly off )
3. 他是一个很有趣的男孩，经常用他的笑话带给我们许多欢乐。(entertain sb. with sth.)
4. 我对一切记忆犹新，好像是昨天发生的。( as if…)
（find it (形式宾语) + adj. + that引导的宾语从句，with）
1. In the past, they were too badly off to afford a holiday.
2. I was able to overcome the problem with the help of my teacher.
3. He is a very funny boy and often entertains us with his jokes.
4. I remember everything as if it happened yesterday.
5. It is reported that 10,000 tons of Sanlu baby milk powder containing melamine have been destroyed.
6. Stories from the Beijing Paralympics were so emotional that many people were
moved to tears.
7. I find it strange that he is able to work so hard with so little sleep.
Module 4 Unit 4
1.一般而言，你在学习一门新的语言的时候总避免不了要犯错误。(in general, avoid)
2. 和人民的帮助下，汶川地区最终定能重建家园。(i t i s l i k el y t h at；r e co ve r)
4. 历史上，中国人民总是英勇保卫家乡，抵抗外国侵略者。(defend… against)
1. In general ,you cannot avoid making mistakes when you learn a new language.
2. With the help of the people and the government it is likely that Wenchuan will eventually recover.
3. I spent my holiday in the countryside last summer. I felt at ease with the village people and was content with my life there.
4. In history, the Chinese people always defended their villages, towns and cities against the foreign invaders.
5. It was exciting to see Xie Ting Feng live in concert last night.
6. When the tree leaves turn yellow, we know that autumn is approaching.
Module 4 Unit5
1．我喜欢在森林里漫步和亲近自然的感觉。(get close to)
2．法国以其精美的食品和葡葡萄酒驰名。(be famous for)
3．你应该提前定火车票，这样你就可以节省一些钱。( in advance；so)
4．学校为学生提供了许多现代化的教学设施。(provide sth. for sb.; teaching facilities)
7．他因为迟到向老师道歉，老师一句话没说就接受了他的道歉。（make an apology to sb for…; without doing …）
8．莎士比亚不仅是个有名的剧作家也是个非常优秀的演员。（Not only句首…but also…）
9．有些学生喜欢和朋友一起学习，其他学生喜欢独自学习。（some…, others … ）10．他的工作时间表如此繁忙，难怪他这么疲惫。（with + 名词作状语，it is no wonder(主句)
1．I loving walking in the forest and getting close to nature.
2．France is famous for its fine food and wine.
3．You should book the train ticket in advance so you can save some money.
4．The school provides modern teaching facilities for its students.
5．It is much cheaper and easier to preserve our environment than to try and repair it. 6．No matter what may happen, I will never give up.
7．He made an apology to the teacher for being late and the teacher accepted it without saying a word.
8．Not only was Shakespeare a famous playwright, but he was also an excellent actor.
9. Some students enjoy studying with their friends while others prefer studying alone.
10. With such a busy work schedule, it is no wonder that he always looks so tired.
Module 5 Unit 1
1. 看起来一些自然灾害应归咎于全球变暖。(seem; be to blame for )
2. 专家提出的计划得到了政府的认可。(put forward;)
3. 只有愿意发挥想象，你才能读得进这本书。(only if…; be absorbed in)
4. 每次试着去办公室找他，我总是被告知他在开会。（every time）
5. 他一脸焦虑地宣布经济危机将会造成许多失业。（with…; announce with; lead
7. 别在太阳下晒得太久，否则你会被晒伤。(expose… to)
8. 除了作为一种有趣而且有益的运动外，游泳还是一项很有用的技能。(apart from;)
9. 在收集到所有证据之前，那个侦察拒绝下定论。(not…until…;draw a conclusion) Keys:
1．It seems that global warming could be to blame for the natural disasters．2．The project put forward by experts has been accepted by the government. 3．Only if you are willing to use your imagination, will be able to become absorbed in this book.
4．Every time I try to visit him in his office I’m told he is in a meeting。
5．With a worried look on his face he announced that the economic crisis would lead to the loss of many jobs.
6．He was able to prevent his classmate from failing the exam by helping him to study every night for one month.
7．Don’t expose yourself to the sun for too long or you will get sunburned. 8．Apart from being fun and good exercise, swimming is also a very useful skill. 9．The detective refused to draw a conclusion until he had collected all the evidence
Module 5 Unit 2
1. 我的早餐包括巧克力饼干和牛奶。(consist of)
2. 值得称赞的是，史密斯先生不乐意卷入他的生意伙伴的邪恶计划。(to one’s credit)
3. 为了图方便, 我把参考书放在书桌前。（for convenience）
4. 他安排了会议，但最后非常失望的是会议几乎没有任何收获。(arrange; achieve)
5. 因为我漏了下其中一种重要的材料，我的蛋糕味道不是很好。(leave out)
6. 我希望我刚才所讲的能澄清情况。(I hope what…; clarify)
1. My breakfast consists of chocolate-covered biscuits and milk.
2. To his credit, Mr. Smith was unwilling to get involved in the evil plans of his business partner.
3. I keep my reference books near my desk for convenience.
4. He had arranged the meeting and was very disappointed when, in the end, it achieved almost nothing.
5. Because I left out one of the most important ingredients, my cake did not taste very nice.
6. I hope what I just told you has clarified the situation.
Module 5 Unit 1
1. 我为占用了老师那么多时间而向她道歉。(take up)
3. 在一天辛苦工作之后，Mrs. Jones 感到筋疲力尽，她上楼时好像一名迟暮的老人。（so … that …; as if）
（before…;be back on one’s feet）
6. 我们应该乐观向上，永远对生活保持一种积极的态度。(be optimistic)
1. I apologized to my teacher for taking up so much of her time with my questions.
2. Born into a worker’s family in Beijing, she began to play table tennis at the age of five.
3. After a day’s hard work, Mrs. Jones was so exhaust ed that she climbed the stairs as if she was an old woman.
4. After losing all his money in the stock market it was many years before the man can get back on his feet financially.
5. Everything in the world is constantly changing.
6. We should be optimistic and always keep a positive attitude towards life.
7. The police found that the bus driver was to blame for the accident.
8. In the future, we hope we can develop a system where waste can be recycled in an environmentally friendly way.
Module 5 Unit 1
1. 只有当你经历了很多磨难后, 你才知道幸福的可贵。(only if)
2. 过去五年来，他一直致力于发展他的事业。(concentrate ... on)
3.最好的决定取决于下一年的经济情况，但目前我们应该继续正常工作。( Meanwhile, depend on)
5. 老实说，为了如期完成这项任务，我两天两夜都没睡觉。(so as to，before the
6. 他被指控杀人,确认后被宣判死罪。(be accused of，convince)
1. Only if you experience much hardship can you value happiness.
2. For the last 5 years he has concentrated all his efforts on developing his business.
3. The final decision will depend on next year’s economic conditions but in the meanwhile we should continue working normally.
4. Not only am I interested in photography, but I took a course at university to improve my skills.
5. To tell the truth, I stayed up for 2 days and nights so as to finish the task before the deadline.
6. He was accused of murder, convinced and sentenced to death.
7. The journalist was sent to cover the news about an official who took bribes.
Module 5 Unit 5
1. 在某人受伤时，懂得急救知识能发挥重要的作用。(It is…that; a knowledge of; make a difference)
2. 虽然这里有许多书，但我找不到我想要的那本。(put one’s hands on; a number of)
3. 晚会上的一切都已经摆放好了，我们终于可以放松休息一下了。(in place)
4. 毫无疑问，她具有优秀网球运动员的天赋，但她必须愿意苦练。(There is no
5. 为了阻止火灾蔓延, 你应当中断电源。(cut off; prevent from)
6. 这个公司为顾客提供各式服务。( provide sth for sb ; a variety of)
(get +p.p. ; unless; stick to)
8. 他很感激我为他做的一切并把我当最好的朋友对待。(be grateful to; treat)
1. It is a knowledge of first aid that can make a real difference when someone is hurt.
2. Although there are a large number of books here, I couldn’t put my hands on the one I wanted.
3. Everything is in place for the party so we can finally relax and have a rest.
4. There is no doubt that she has the natural talent to be a great tennis player, but she must be willing to work hard.
5. You should cut off the electricity supply to prevent the fire from spreading.
6. This company provides a variety of services for its customers.
7. Your wound may get infected unless you use a clean bandage that will not stick to the skin.
8. He was very grateful to me for what I had done for him and treated me as his best friend.
9. The headmaster presented him with the award for excellent students.
Description of a person:
1．他有许多爱好，如打篮球，读小说，唱英语歌曲，集邮，他最喜欢收集邮票。（句子结构：主句，+ 介词+which 引导的定语从句）
（句子结构：be + loved/respected as …+ who 引导的定语从句）
（句子结构：Not only…but also…倒装格式）
1．He has many hobbies, such as playing basketball, reading novels, singing English songs, collecting stamps, of which he likes collecting stamps best.
2．Born into a poor farmer’s family in 1930, Dr Yuan graduated from Southwest Agricultural College in 1953.
3．As is well known to us all, ‘Failure is the mother of success’, and nobody understands this better than Li Ming.
4．Liu Xiang, who has had to overcome many difficulties in life, is loved and respected by everyone in China.
5．Michael Jackson started to perform on stage at age of 5, shocking the world with his talent of music and dance.
6．Not only is he interested in science, but he also has a gift for music.
Description of a place:
1. 位于美洲大陆的北部，加拿大是世界上第二国。( located in…, X is …)
2. 它有着7686850平方公里的面积，同时拥有3千万人口。（It covers a total area
of …, with a population of …）
4. 这里有很多大城市，其中温哥华气候宜人。( …, among which)
5. 它以它的自然资源和野生动物闻名于世。( … be famous for…)
1. Located in the north America continent, Canada is the second largest country in the world.
2. It covers a total area of 7,686,850 square kilometers with a population of about 30
3. It has a variety of climates. (warm, cool, cold, dry, humid, sunny, stormy, rainy…)
4. It has many big cities, among which Vancouver is with pleasant climates.
5. It is famous for its natural resource and wildlife.
Description of a journey:
1．三个男孩花了整整一周游遍了伦敦，英国最著名的历史文化之城。(take) 2．这是我第一次出国旅行，真是大开眼界。(It is the first time that …)
5．我们在当地餐馆享受传统的法国美食，以此结束一天的行程。（finish the day by …）
1. It took the three boys a whole week to tour around London, the most famous
historical and cultural city in the United Kingdom.
2. It was the first time that I had traveled abroad and it really broadened my horizons.
3. In the morning we visited the botanical garden, which was full of the most amazing plants I had ever seen.
4. What interested me most was the gift shop, where all kinds of souvenirs were sold.
5. We finished the day by enjoying traditional French food in a local restaurant. Wildlife protection:
1. 必须采取强有力的措施保护濒临灭绝的野生动物。(take measures, endanger)
2. 她十分关注野生动物的保护，并很留意国家公园的规定。(pay attention to,
4. 毕竟，一种动物的灭绝造成的损失不是土地或金钱的损失能比拟的。(after all,
5. 她决定申请许可(grant n.)以调查这个物种现在受到影响的程度。(apply for, 现
1. Strong measures must be taken to protect endangered wildlife.
2. She was greatly concerned about wildlife protection and paid careful attention to the rules in the national park.
3. The scientists have suggested several measures that they hope will prevent the Panda from dying out.
4. After all, the loss of even one animal is too high a price to pay for land or money.
5. She decided to apply for grant to study how the species was being affected.
(diet, strength, weakness)
1. These days he looks very healthy because his new diet provides him with the right balance of energy and nutrition.
2. The doctor told him that unless he cut down on his consumption of fatty food he would eventually have a heart attack.
3. The strength of this diet is that it provides him with a lot of energy, but its weakness is that it contains too much fat and sugar.
4. Doctors now believe that occasionally drinking a little win may benefit your health.
5. Adding vinegar to dumplings helps you to digest this food.