Part A Basic English
Section one: Vocabulary
Directions: This section consists of (10) incomplete sentences. Each sentence is followed by (4) words or phrases. Select the word of phrase that best fits in with each context and mark your answer by blackening the corresponding letter on the
Answer Sheet (10%)
1. She had clearly no of doing any work, although she was well paid.
2. The mother separated the quarrelling children and gave each of them a sharp .
3. His decision to invest in the developing holiday resort was a one.
4. He cited a Chinese proverb to the that you should never wish ill on your
5. All the following verbs but may form a meaningful combination with the noun
phrase a need in one’s life.
6. An honorary doctorate of law was on him by Newcastle University in 1976.
7. The Academic Committee him of its willingness to help with his research program.
8. As winter the population is predicted to face severe food and fuel shortages.
a. sets out
b. sets in
c. sets forth d sets down
9. Each of the following noun phrases may constitute a logical collocation
a. a burst of passion
b. a fit of industry
c. a gust of rage
d. a flash of
10 I have been away from home for many years, and it is not very easy for me
to some of my old friends.
a. keep track of
b. take sides with
c. fall into line with
d. take note of
Directions: This section consists of ten incomplete sentences, each followed by four possible answers. Select the one that best completes each sentence and blacken your answer choice on the answer sheet.(10%)