1. Mrs Brown is supposed _______ for England last week.
A. to have been left
B. to have left
C. to leave
D. to be leaving
2. He is ______ qualified of the two candidates for the position.
C. the more
D. the most
3. The night was so ______ that not a sound could be heard.
4. _______the first to use nuclear weapons.
A. At no time China will be
B. Never China will be
C. Will China never be
D. At no time will China be
5. If only we ______ as we were told! This would never have happened.
A. had done
B. would come
6. _______hard, he would have succeeded.
A. Had he worked
B. If he worked
C. If he were to work
D. If he was to work
7. Is there anyone against ________?
A. to do it this way
B. doing it this way
C. done it this way
D. do it this way
8. from space, our earth, with water covering 70% of its surface, appears as a "blue planet".
A. To see
B. Having seen
9.1 have explained everything __ I can explain to you.
10. It__being now pretty late, we took our candles and retired to our room.
11. Only then _______how important ________ to study English.
A. did I realize / it was
B. did I realize / was it
C. I realized / was it
D. I realized / it was
12. He ____ have left the campus, for I saw him in the classroom just a minute ago.
13. At the beginning of this semester, our history teacher ___ a list of books for us to read.
A. put up
B. wrote out
C. passed by
D. set up
14. Jack was very ___ on watching football matches on TV.
15. This new dress, ____ a hat and gloves, has cost me $ 250.
C. together with
D. in addition with
16. We could not do anything except just ___ for him to come round.
B. to wait
17. A group of people have organized to make sure that the school children will be ____ no danger while crossing the street.
18. Although ____ happened in that country sounds like science fiction, it could occur elsewhere in the world.
19. She has grown up in ________ areas and knew very little about the crops.
20. It was proposed that this matter ________ at the next meeting.
A. would consider
B. would have been considere
C. should have been considered
D. should be considered
21. The boy can't concentrate ______ his lesson.
22.Pay attention ________ details.
23.He is not ________ he used to be.
24.0ur teacher had us __________ a composition on Our College Life.
A. to write
C. to be written
25. "Don't worry, he'll soon be accustomed to _________ here.
26. Mary suggested _________ anything about it.
A. not to say
B. not saying
C. to say not
D. not say
27. As Teacher Wang was ill, I'll give you lessons ___________.
A. instead of
C. of instead
D. in stead
28. Don't trust him, ________ he says.
A. no matter what
B. no matter whatever
29. My parents always regard me _____ a little child even though I am grown up.
30. He demanded that I ________ the money by Friday at the least.
A. must pay
C. to pay
31. Soon the sportsmen ________ to the changeable weather of the city.
32. So little ________ about English that the lecture was completely beyond me.
B. I knew
C. Do I know
D. did I know
33. After the students painted the house, its ________ was quite different.
34. He has a ________of biting his fingers when he thinks hard.
35. The work we are doing is ________ great value.
36. How ________ do you know about China?
37. We often associate the Yellow River and the Changjiang River
______the civilization of the Chinese people.
38. Once you have finished the design, you may have a whole week________.
39. The pants are too ________ for me , I'd like some loose ones.
40. The population of China is bigger than ____________ .
C. the one of India
D. that of India
41. It ___ weekend, we had no school.
42. Scarcely ____ he came to see me.
A. I went out when
B. did I go out than
C. had I gone out when
D. I had gone out than
43. ____ a little slower, I couldn't have missed seeing you.
A. If I drove
B. Had I driven
C. Were I driven
D. If I driven
44. They request that we ___ a meeting tonight.
45. No one except my parents ____ anything about the matter.
46. Is there anything else ___ must be done?
47. ____ made us very happy.
A. She was chosen
B. That she was chosen
C. Which she was chosen
D. If she was chosen
48. He _____ you yesterday, for I didn't receive any call from him whole day.
A. mustn't call
B. mustn't have called
C. couldn't call
D. couldn't have called
49. Once ___ , it can never be forgotten.
50.1 regret ___ that you fail.
C. to say
D. to saying
51. Bob wishes that he __that house last spring.
C. had bought
D. has bought
52. ____, the examinees knew it was time to stop.
A. Hearing the bell
B. Heard the bell
C. To have been heard the bell
D. To hear the bell
53. "Isn't this a great recording?"
"Yes, but__ play it so loud?"
A. you must
B. do you must
C. are you must
D. must you
54. The doctor sat __ to the exit in case he had to leave early.
55. Ask him how much___.
A. did it cost
B. it did cost
C. it cost
D. it costed
56. ____from the tenth floor when the policeman pointed his pistol at him.
A. Jumped down the burglar
B. Down the burglar jumped
C. The burglar down jumped
D. Down jumped the burglar
57. It wasn't an accident. He did it on ____.
58. We will put off the picnic until next month ___the weather may be better.
59. No matter how __, it is not necessarily worthless.
A. dry a desert may be
B. a desert may be dry
C. may a desert be dry
D. a desert dry way be
60.1 met the man ____.
A. whom you told me
B. you told me about
C. about whom you told
D. you about me told
61. The temperature can fall to - 60 °C. _______is, 60 °C below freezing point.
62. I've got a lot of books, ______ are written in foreign languages.
A. and most of which
B. some of which
C. some of them
D. most of those
63. ——Which do you like better, real movies ______cartoons?
——I prefer cartoons_____ real movies.
A. and; than
B. or; than
C. and; and
D. or; to
64. Not until all the fish died in the river_______ how serious the pollution was.
A. the villagers realized
B. didn't the villagers realize
C. did the villagers realize
D. the villagers did realize
65. _______ money was spent on the electronic computer.
A. A great many
B. A lot
C. A large number of
D. A great deal of
66. Not enough_________ to stop the forests ____since the 1980's.
A. has been done; be cut down
B. has done; cutting down
C. has been done; from being cut down
D. has done; from being cut down
67. ——I didn't go to class last night because my car broke down.
——You_______ mine. I wasn't using it.
A. could borrow
B. could have borrowed
C. must have borrowed
D. should borrow
68. ——Has____ of your parents visited your university?
A, both B. either C. all D. any 69. A man may usually be known by the books he reads ____by the friends he keeps.
A. as well as
B. as if
C. as soon as
D. as usual
70. —— __________ have we to go? ——Just one mile.
A. How long
B. How often
C. How much farther
D. How further
71. About 100 people died in the plane crash, but the pilot ____ the accident.
72. ____ he's been learning English for no more than a year, he speaks it very well.
A. Now that
D. Judging from
73. It is one of our family's ____ for eldest sons to be called John.
74. Hearing the news, she could hardly ___ her tears.
A. keep off
B. end up
C. hold back
D. get off
75. "He gave me ____ $100!" he said with satisfaction.
A. something like
B. no less than
C. no more than
76. Someone proposed that a special committee ____ to look into the matter.
A. will be set up
B. is set up
C. be set up
D. would be set up
77. The chemical and fertilizers(化肥) are widely used in planting vegetables, ____is to increase productivity.
A. the main purpose of which
B. because the main purpose
C. which the main purpose
D. as the main purpose
78. The girls don't have to be made __; they all work very hard.
C. to learn
79. We object to ___ in public places.
C. be smoking
D. have smoked
80. ____ for many years, the new communications satellite will be launched next month.
A. Being tested
B. To be tested
D. Having been tested
81. Betty thinks her dress is a little too long, so she plans to get it _________.
D. to have shortened
82. "Did you see Monica before she left for Brazil ?" "No, I wish I __________ her."
B. would see
C. have seen
D. had seen
83. You ___ yesterday if you were really serious about the job.
A. ought to come
B. ought to be coming
C. ought to have come
D. ought come
84. "Has Fred told anyone else about his dismissal?"
"Yes, he decided __________."
A. it's not being kept secret
B. not to keep it a secret
C. that it not be kept
D. not to keep it secretly
85. Give him an inch ___________ he will take a mile.
D. in result that
86. Physics is a subject ___________ the students are very interested.
B. in which
D. in that
87.1 would have paid ___ for my car if the salesman had insisted, because I really wanted it.
A. as much twice
B. much twice
C. twice as much
D. times two
88. ___ we have satisfied you , you have no further grounds for complaint.
A. Since that
B. Now that
C. Since now
D. By now
89. The door burst open _____________.
A. and in rushed the crowd
B. in the crowd rushed
C. in rushed the crowd
D. in did the crowd rush
90.1 want to finish __________ the novel this evening and return it to the library.
A. to read
D. to have read
91. How many trucks will the factory ____ next year?
A. turn over
B. turn up
C. turn out
D. turn on
92. I told him that he ____ be present at the meeting.
93. In those days, the cost of living ____ quickly after the war broke
94. It was in that small village ____ we found the missing boy.
95. ____, he can quickly find out what's wrong with the car.
A. Having well trained
B. To be well trained
C. Having been well trained
D. To have been well trained
96. If I have to choose ____ Mary and Rose, I would say Rose is the better to be my secretary.
97. They have no objection to ____ the window to get some fresh air.
A. me to open
B. my opening
C. my open
D. me open
98. I don't think he has got over the serious illness after a rest, ____?
A. does he
D. has he
99. Documents ____ with chemicals will not become yellow with age.
C. be treated
D. treats 100. Please ____, everybody. The meeting will begin in a minute.
A. take the place
B. take your place
C. take place
D. take the place of you