1) An oath was ______to the newly elected President.
A)skimed B) administered C) installed D) owed
2) They had to obey the ______ that beards be shaved off.
A)attic B) robe C) decree D) retiree
3) He was as ______ as his adversary who was ruthless.
A) devious B) imposing C) irritating D)slender
4) The snake sank its ______ into its victim.
A) fangs B) bins C) patios D)footsteps
5) You may ______ my body, but actually could not fetter my mind.
A) crawl B) imprison C) clutch D)outfox
6) The aircraft makes its ______ flight tomorrow.
A) moonless B)undisturbed C) dim D) maiden
7) It is surprising how soon historical ______ became invested with romantic attributes.
A)planks B)precautions C) personages D)vultures
8) I ______ to suggest that you should take legal advice.
A) slipped B) presume C)detect D)haunt
9) The ______ sent shivers down my spine.
A)villain B)veil C)shriek D)crystal
10) A good story has an element of ______ .
A)suspence B) instinct C)maze D)destiny
11) Eliabeth succeeded to the ______ in 1952.
A) gallery B)institution C)supposition D) throne
12) She took off her shoes and ______ dipped a toe in.
A) boldly B) courageously C) cheerily D) cautiously
13) I could hear him ______ to himself as he read his book.
A) chuckling B)conceiving C) thrusting D)dragging
14) He was ______ that we left without him.
A)willful B)valuable C) furious D) luxurious
15) She's always ______ about how much she has to do.
A) draining B) groaning C) appraising D)glaring
16) To make a Halloween ______ , you first have to gouge out the inside of the pumpkin.
A) lantern B)collection C) windowsill D)flashlight
17) We can't ______ much longer in the desert without water.
A) resemble B) slip C)resolve D) endure
18) We heard an ear-splitting scream from the ______ girl.
A)nonstop B)straight C) terrified D)cutthroat
19) A writ was served on the firm in respect of their ______ bill.
A) unpaid B)appointed C)undone D)resigned
20) I heard my landlady creeping ______ up to my door.
A) stealthily B)scarcely C) extremely D) presently