Part Ⅱ Structure (15 minutes)
Directions: This part is to test your ability to use words and phrases correctly to construct meaningful and grammatically correct sentences. It consists of 2 sections.
Directions: There are 10 incomplete statements here. You are required to complete each statement by choosing the appropriate answer from the 4 choices marked A), B), C) and D). You should mark the corresponding letter on the Answer Sheet with a single line through the center.
16. All students are eager to know ________they wilt pass the exam or not.
A) if B) that C) whether D) why
17. When the couple _______ here, they ________ to the park.
A) will come；will go B) come；go
C) will come；go D) come；will go
18. —I cannot find Tom anywhere.
—He _________ have been off long. I heard him make a call just now.
A) shouldn't B) can't C) mustn't D) needn't
19. No matter who he is, young or old, people's state of mind tends to keep _______ with the rapid change of society.
A) contact B) progress C) touch D) pace
20. To tell you the truth, it's very hard for us to help them get rid of Internet addiction. But we _________ on this problem trying to improve the situation.
A) worked B) had worked C) are working D) had been working
21. There was an earthquake happened, _______ 100 people and with more than 300
A) killed; injured B) killing; injured
C) killed; injuring D) killing; injuring
22. 50miles southwest of the country ________ the famous beautiful mountain.
A) laying B) lie C) lies D)lays
23. Everyone has periods in their lives ________ everything seems so hard.
A) when B) where C) which D) that
24. Miss Liu doesn't mind _______ your homework as long as it is done by yourself.
A) you to delay handing in B) your delaying handing in
C) your delaying to hand in D) you delay to hand in
25. By no means _______ ready to quit her study.
A) will she B) she will C) she is D) is she
Directions: There are also 10 incomplete statements here. You should fill in each blank with the proper form of the word given in the brackets. Write the word or words in the corresponding space on the Answer Sheet.
26. The New York Times __________ (be) popular with those statesmen.
27. The people in your town are far _________ (friendly) than we expected.
28. Injury problem could __________ (short) basketball player's career.
29. I will tell Mary the truth instead of you, but I'd rather you _________ (tell) her.
30. By the time I graduate from university, I __________ (be) a student for 15 years.
31. This famous poem should _________ (translate) into Chinese because it is really worth reading.
32. According to the latest report, more and more young people intend to learn __________ (economy) and social science.
33. The dancer might have been killed in the crash if she _________ (go) to American by plane.
34. (catch) _________ by the host for stealing, the boy felt rather ashamed.
35. It's obvious that you hurt my feeling on purpose, so it's no use _________ (make) an apology.
Part Ⅲ Reading Comprehension (40 minutes)
Directions: This part is to test your reading ability. There are 5 tasks for you to fulfill. You should read the reading materials carefully and do the tasks as you are instructed.
Directions: After reading the following passage, you will find 5 questions or unfinished statements, numbered 36 to 40. For each question or statement there are 4 choices marked A), B), C) and D). You should make the correct choice and mark the corresponding letter on the Answer Sheet with a single line through the center.
In Washington D. C., 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue is a very special address. It is the address of the White House, the home of the president of the United States.
Originally the White House was gray and was called the presidential Palace. It was built from 1792 to 1800. At this time, the city of Washington itself was being built. It was to be the nation's new capital city. George Washington, the first president, and Pierre Charles L' Enfant, a French engineer, chose the place for the new city. L' Enfant then planned the city. The president's home was an important part of the plan,
A contest was held to pick a design for the president's home. An architect named James Hobart won. He designed a large three-story house of gray stone.
President Washington never lived in the Presidential Palace. The first president to live there was John Adams, the second president of the United States, and his wife Mrs. Adams did not-really like her new house. In her letters, she often complained about the cold. Fifty fireplaces were not enough to keep the house warm!
In 1812 the United States and Britain went to war. In 1814 the British invaded Washington. They burned many buildings, including the Presidential Palace.
After the war James Hoban, the original architect, partially rebuilt the president's home. To cover the marks of the fire, the building was painted white. Before long it became known as the White House.
The White House is one of the most popular tourist attractions in the United States. Every year more than 1.5 million visitors go through the five rooms that are open to the public.
36. The White House was built in Washington ________.
A) because a French engineer was invited to design it
B) because President George Washington liked to live in it
C) because the British invaders lived in it in 1812 -1814
D) because it was to be the nation' s capital city
37. The Presidential Palace was ________.
A) painted gray and white B) made of gray stone
C) made of white stone D) made very warm in winter
38. The president's home and the city of Washington were ________.
A) built by the American army B) built by the British troops
C) planned by George Washington D) planned by the French
39. The original home of the president needed to be rebuilt ________.
A) because John Adams' wife did not like it
B) because it was cold in winter even with 50 fireplaces
C) because it had burned down during the war
D) because George Washington was not willing to live in it
40. The new presidential home was painted white to ________.
A) cover the marks of fire B) attract tourist from France
D) to please Mrs. John Adams D) keep it warm in winter
Directions: This task is the same as Task 1. The 5 questions or unfinished statements are numbered 41 to 45.
The appeal of advertising to buying motives can have both negative and positive effects. Consumers may be convinced to buy a product of poor quality or high price because of an advertisement. For example, some advertisers have appealed to people' s desire for better fuel economy for their cars by advertising automotive products that improve gasoline mileage. Some of the products work. Others are worthless and a waste of consumers’ money.
Sometimes advertising is intentionally misleading. A few years ago, a brand of bread was offered to dieters(节食者) with the message that there were fewer calories (热量单位，卡路里) in every slice. It turned out that the bread was not dietetic (适合节食的), but just regular bread. There were fewer calories because it was sliced very thin, but there were the same number of calories in every loaf.
On the positive side, emotional appeals may respond to a consumer's real concerns, considering fire insurance. Fire insurance may be sold by appealing to fear of loss. But fear of loss is the real reason for fire insurance. The security of knowing that property is protected by insurance makes the purchase of fire insurance a worthwhile investment for most people. If consumers consider the quality of the insurance plans as well as the message in the ads, they will benefit from the advertising.
Each consumer must evaluate her or his own situation. Are the benefits of the product important enough to justify buying it? Advertising is intended to appeal to consumers, but it does not force them to buy the product. Consumers still control the final buying decision.
41. Advertising can persuade the consumer to buy worthless products by ________.
A) stressing their high quality
B) convincing him of their low price
C) maintaining a balance between quality and price
D) appealing to his buying motives
42. The reason why the bread advertisement is misleading is that _______.
A) thin slices of bread could contain more calories
B) the loaf was cut into regular slices
C) the bread was not genuine bread
D) the total number of calories in the loaf remained the same
43. The passage tells us that _________.
A) sometimes advertisements really sell what the consumer needs
B) advertisements occasionally force consumers into buying things they don' t need
C) the buying motives of consumers are controlled by advertisements
D) fire insurance is seldom a worthwhile investment
44. It can be inferred from the passage that a smart consumer should _________.
A) think carefully about the benefits described in the advertisements
B) guard against the deceiving nature of advertisements
C) be familiar with various advertising strategies
D) avoid buying products that have strong emotional appeal
45. The passage is mainly about ________.
A) how to make a wise buying decision
B) ways to protect the interests of the consumer
C) the positive and negative aspects of advertising
D) the function of advertisements in promoting sales
Directions: The following is a passage about WTO. After reading it, you are required to complete the outline below it (No. 46 to No. 50 ). You should write your answers briefly (in no more than three words) on the Answer Sheet correspondingly.
The World Trade Organization was founded in 1995. It absorbed the General Agreement on Tariffs and Trade (GA TT), which covers trade in manufactured and agricultural goods. The WTO also regulates trade in services and in intellectual property, which includes such creations (作品) as books, computer softwares, and recordings.
The WTO is one of three major organizations that oversee (监督)international economic relations among governments. The other two are the International Monetary Fund(国际货币基金会), which works to improve payment arrangements and other financial dealings between countries, and the World Bank, which provides loans to poorer nations for economic development. WTO headquarters are in Geneva, Switzerland.
1) The World Trade Organization was founded in 46__
2) The GATT covers trade in 47__ goods.
3) The WTO is one of three major organizations. The other two are the 48_ and__49__
4) WTO headquarters are in 50___ , Switzerland.
Directions: The following is a list of terms about computer. After reading it, you are required to find the items equivalent to (与…相同的) those given in Chinese in the table below. Then you should put the corresponding letters in brackets on the Answer Sheet, numbered 51 to 55.
A—mouse I—drag and drop
B—central processing unit J—electronic commerce
C—CAD K—floppy disk
D—data processing L—home page
E—desktop operating system M—host computer
F—dialogue boxes N—ink-jet printer
G—disk drive O—laser jet printer
H—download P—office automation
Directions: There is a letter below. After reading it, you should give brief answers to the 5 questions (No.56 to No. 60) that follow. The answers ( in no more than 3 words) should be written after the corresponding numbers on the Answer Sheet.
Room 504, Xiamen Hotel Xiamen
December 26th, 2008
Dear Sir or Madam,
I arrived in Xiamen from Nanjing this morning by Express Train No. 25. At the Nanjing station I registered a trunk, but when I went to your luggage office to draw it this afternoon, I was told it was missing. The check I hold is No. 100694. I shall be very much obliged if you will kindly trace the missing article at once, as there are in it many important things, of which I am in urgent need. My trunk bears my personal name “James White”. I am now staying in Room 504, Xiamen Hotel. If you have retrieved it, please inform me soon or contact me by calling 8765432.
56. When does he arrive in Xiamen?
57. Which train does he take'?
58. Where does he register his trunk?
59. What is the number of the check he holds?
60. Where is he staying now?
Part IV Translation—English into Chinese (25 minutes)
Directions: This part numbered 61 through 65 is to test your ability to translate English into Chinese. After each sentence of numbers 61 to 64, you will read four choices of suggested translation. You should choose the best translation and mark the corresponding letter on your Answer Sheet. And write your translation of number 65 on the corresponding space on the Answer
61. It is possible that your company is facing difficulties of which we are not aware.
62. She bought several clothes shops and prepared to build up a chain.
63. Compared with the developed countries, some African countries are left far behind in terms of people' s living standard.
64. No matter how long or short the letter is, what really counts is that it' s heart-warming.
65. As requested, we enclose for your attention our price list and catalogue. I would like to take this opportunity of drawing your attention to the fact that all our products are made from completely natural ingredients. There are 200 different items in the catalogue and our prices are reasonable and our quality is good. We look forward to receiving your order soon.
Part V Writing (25 minutes)
Directions: This part is to test your ability to do practical writing. You are required to write an email according to the information given in Chinese below. Remember to write the email on the Translation/Composition Sheet.
假设你是Fox Electronic Company销售部的总经理Tom Smith，要求你给某广告公司的负责人John Driscoll写一封电子邮件商谈一些事宜，写邮件的日期为6月10日。邮件内容如下：
Words for reference：
新产品上市时间the launch date of the new product 广告宣传活动advertising campaign