1. We demanded that we __________ of any change in the plan.
A) informed B) would be informed C) be informed D) had been informed
2. It’s necessary that he _________ a recognized qualification.
A) has B) have C) had D) having
3. It's high time we ____________ our attention to this problem.
A) turned B) turn C) had turned D) would turn
4. If only you __________ him what I said! Everything would have been all right.
A)didn't told B) hadn't told C) would not tell D) would have not told
5. He must have had an accident, or he____________ here then.
A)would have been B) had been C) should have been D) could be
6. Much labour would have been saved if the electronic computers_____________ before.
A)had invented B) were invented C) should have been invented D) had been invented
7. _____________ cease advertising, prices would be significantly reduced.
A) Were they to B) Could they C) If they D) Would they
8. Five minutes earlier, and we ____________ the last bus.
A)had caught B) should have caught C) could have caught D) caught
9. Y ou ____________ the clothes! We have a washerwoman to do that sort of thing.
A) shouldn't have washed B) mustn't have washed
C) can not have washed D) needn't have washed
10. Jean doesn't want to work right away because she thinks that if she _________ a job she probably wouldn't be able to see her friends very often.
A) has to get B) were to get C) had got D) could have got
11. The mad man was put in the soft-padded cell lest he _____________ himself.
A) injure B) had injured C) injured D) would injure
12. It is politely requested by the hotel management that radios __________ after 11 o'clock at night.
A) were not played B) not to play C) not be played D) did not play
13. Y ou don't have to be in such a hurry. I would rather you _________ on business first. (98-1-59)
A) would go B) will go C) went D) have gone
14. It is important that enough money ___________ to fund the project.
A) be collected B) must be collected C) was collected D) can be collected
15. If only the committee __________ the regulations and put them into effect as soon as possible.
A)approve B) will approve C) can approve D) would approve
16. I don't think it advisable that Tom ________ to the job since he has no experience.
A) is assigned B) will be assigned C) be assigned D) has been assigned
17. Y ou _________ her in her office last Friday; she's been out of town for two weeks.
A)needn't have seen B) must have seen
C) might have seen D) can't have seen
18. We didn't know his telephone number, otherwise we _________ him.
A) would have telephoned B) must have telephoned
C) would telephone D) had telephoned
19. It is recommended that the project _________ until all the preparations have been made.
A) is not started B) will not be started
C) not be started D) is not to be started
20. I wish I ________ longer this morning, but I had to get up and come to class.
A) could have slept B) slept
C) might have slept D) have slept
21. I ________ her to the party but I didn't know her well.
A) ought have B) would have invited
C) should invite D) may have invited
22. Y ou ________ to town to see the film last week. It will be on TV tomorrow.
A) needn't go B) should not go
C) had better not go D) needn't have gone
23. With all this work on hand, he __________ to the cinema last night.
A) mustn't go B) wouldn't go
C) oughtn't to go D) shouldn't have gone
24. It was essential that the application forms ___________ back before the deadline (截止日期)
A) must be sent B) would be sent C) be sent D) were sent
1. If I _________ the opportunity I would not have missed it.
A) had given C) had been giving
B) was given D) had been given
2. If we _______ yesterday, we _________ the work.
A) weren't interrupted.., would finish
B) didn't interrupt.., would have finished
C) hadn't been interrupted.., would have finished
D) hadn't interrupted.., would have finished
3. Ask him to ring me up if you ____________ him.
A) should see C) .saw
B) would see D) will see
4. Y our examination results were quite satisfactory, but ________ if you had spent less time in playing football?
A) wouldn't they have been better C) won't they be better
B) wouldn't they be better D) won't they have been better
5. I didn't know this Picasso exhibit was closed, but I wouldn't have been able to come even if _________ about it.
A) I know C) I have been knowing
B) I'd known D) I've known
6. If he ___________ hard in the past five years, things wouldn't be going so smoothly.
A) had not been working C) was not working
B) has not been working D) were not working
7. "Do you think the thief entered through the garage door?"
"No. If he had, I don't believe he __________ the living room window."
A) would have broken C) has broken
B) had broken D) broke
8. I wish that you hadn't had such a bad headache because I'm sure that you ________ the concert.
A) will enjoy C) would enjoy
B) will have enjoyed D) would have enjoyed
9. I'd rather you __________ anything about it for the time being.
A) do B) didn't do C) don't do D) didn't
10. He doesn't dare to leave the house in case ___________.
A) he will recognize C) he is recognized
B) he should be recognized D) he recognize
11. He is working hard for fear that he ___________ .
A) fell behind C) should fall behind
B) may fall behind D) would fall behind
12. The driver looked over the engine carefully lest it _________ on the way.
A) breaks down C) would break down
B) broke down D) should break down
13. It is highly desirable that a new chairman ___________ for the committee.
A) will be elected C) elect
B) is elected D) be elected
14. It is requested that every student ___________ a plan for the next semester.
A) makes B) will make C) make D) would make
15. The librarian recommended that the professor __________ the newly published book.
A) borrow C) should have borrowed
B) borrowed D) borrowing
16. If they _________ the contract ahead of time, they could not have missed the plan.
A) signed C) would have signed
B) had signed D) should sign
17. I don't think it advisable that he _________ to the job since he has no experience.
A) be assqgned C) is assigned
B) will be assigned D) has been assigned
18. What do you think of his proposal that we __________ put on a play at the English evening?
A) will B) should C) has D) have
19. He must have missed the train, otherwise he _________ then.
A) should arrive here C) would have arrived here
B) has arrived here D) arrived here
20. But for friction, people _________ neither walk, nor even stand up.
A) can B) were able to C) will be able D) could
21. Mr. Johnson prefers that _________ with him personally.
A) she speaks C) she speak
B) she will speak D) she would speak
22. Y ou _________ yesterday, if you were really serious about the job.
A) ought to come C) ought to be coming
B) ought to have come D) ought have come
23. The old worker urged that we __________ cheaper materials instead.
A) use B) used C) would use D) will use
24. Suppose/Supposing you _________ him now, what would you say to him?
A) meet B) met C) have met D) would meet
25. His father had hoped that he ________ into business.
A) would have gone C) can go
B) will go D) would go
26. Helen doesn't know how much I spent in repairing the house; if she ever found out, I'm sure she __________ me.
A) would never forgive C) does never forgive
B) never forgives D) will never forgive
1-5: CBABC6-10: DACDB 11-15: ACCAD16-20: CDACA 21-24: BDDC
1-5: DCAAB 6-10: AADBB 11-15: CDDBA 16-20: BABCD 21-25: CBABB 26-30: BACDA
1. I loved the movie. I wish I _____ the book from which it was made.
A. have read
B. had read
C. should have read
D. am reading
2. Y ou are late. If you _____ a few minutes earlier, you _____ him.
A. came/could meet
B. had come/would have met
C. come/will meet
D. had come/would meet
3. It is time that you _____ home and I’d rather you _____ again tomorrow.
A. would go/would come
C. go/are going
D. are going/will come
4. It is important that I _____ with Mr Williams immediately.
C. will speak
D. to speak
5. —He has just come out of the hospital.
—No wonder he looked as if he _____ ill for a long time.
C. has been
D. had been
6. But for his friends, he _____ of hunger 30 years ago.
B. would die
C. must have died
D. would have died
7. How I wish I _____ to repair the watch! I only made it worse.
A. had tried
B. hadn't tried
C. have tried
D. didn't try
8. Let’s say you could go there again, how _____ feel?
A. will you
B. should you
C. would you
D. do you
9. I can’t stand him. He always talks as though he _____ everything.
C. has known
D. had known
10. I suggested yesterday a meeting _____ to discuss the matter.
A. be held
B. should hold
C. would be held
D. must be held
11. I wish I _____.
A. will tell him that
B. didn’t tell him that
C. told him not that
D. had not told him that
12. If you had told me in advance, I _____ him at the airport.
A. would meet
B. would had meet
C. would have met
D. must have met
13. I certainly wish he _____ me how to sing English songs.
B. will teach
C. has taught
D. would teach
14. I wish I _____ able to tell him all about it last night.
A. should be
C. had been
15. I wish he _____ me some money if I am lucky enough.
A. had lent
C. would lend
16. If it _____ another ten minutes, the game would have been put off.
A. had rained
B. would have rained
D. have rained D. rained
17. Our former maths teacher died last term, otherwise he _____.
A. would still be working
B. would still have worked
C. should still work
D. will still work
18. My father’s doctor suggested that he _____ home.
A. not went
B. won’t go
C. not go
D. not to go
19. When Edison died, it was proposed that the American people _____ all power in their homes, streets, and
factories for several minutes in honor of this great man.
A. turn off
B. turned off
C. would turn off
D. had turned off
20. John wished _____.
A. he will study more
B. he had studied more
C. he studies
D. he won’t have studied more
21. Y ou look so tired tonight. It is time you _____.
A. go to sleep
B. went to sleep
C. go to bed
D. went to bed
22. I would have bought a car if I _____ enough money.
A. were having
B. have had
C. would have
D. had had
23. _____ today, he would get there by Friday.
A. Would he leave
B. Was he leaving
C. Were he to leave
D. If he leaves
24. Without the food, he _____.
A. will be thinner
B. would be thinner
C. is thinner
D. must be thinner
25. If they’d only let us know earlier, _____ at the station.
A. we’d meet them
B. we’ll meet them
C. we’d have met them
D. we’ve met them
26. If I _____ you, I _____ more attention to English idioms and phrases.
A. were/shall pay
B. am/will pay
C. would be/would pay
D. were/would pay
27. We might have failed if you _____ us a helping hand.
A. have not given
B. would not give
C. had not given
D. did not give
28. The law requires that everyone _____ for his education.
C. will pay
29. _____, call the police.
A. If anyone will attempt to break in
B. Would anyone attempt to break in
C. Anyone should attempt to break in
D. Should anyone attempt to break in
30. Had I known her name, _____.
A.or does she know mine?
B. and where does she live?
C. I would have invited her to lunch
D. she would be beautiful
31. He has just arrived, but he talks as if he _____ all about that.
32. If I _____ the money, I would have bought a much bigger car.
D. had had
33. I’d rather you ______ by train, because I can't bear the idea of your being in an airplane in such bad
A. would go
B. should go
D. had gone
34. The librarian insisted that John _____ the book he had borrowed.
A. shouldn’t returned
B. won’t returned
C. not return
D. didn’t return
35. I left very early last night, but I wish I _____ so early.
A. didn’t leave
B. hadn’t left
C. haven’t left
D. couldn’t leave
36. I do not have a job. I would find one but I _____ no time.
B. didn’t have
C. had had
37. He _____ the job well, but he _____ so careless.
A. hadn’t done/had been
B. could have done/was
C. could do/was
D. had done/had been
38. He insisted that we all _____ in his office at one o'clock.
B. to be
C. would be
D. should be
39. I _____ to stay there for one more week, but I changed my mind.
A. would have hoped
B. was hoping
C. had hoped
40. The doctor did all he could so that he _____ save the soldier’s life.
C. had to
D. was able to
41. _____ you _____ last Wednesday, you might have known it well.
A. Were/to come
42. We _____ delighted if the report _____ true.
B. shall be/were
C. would be/were
D. were/would be
43. If he _____ here, he _____ you.
A. had been/would helped
B. were/would help
C. were/had helped
D. would have been/had helped
44. If I had known that, I _____ so.
A. wouldn’t have done
B. didn’t do
C. won’t do
D. wouldn’t do
45. He didn’t come, but I wish he _____ here now.
B. had been
D. should be
46. Y ou _____ the train if you _____ a little earlier.
A. could take/started
B. could have taken/had started
C. could take/had started
D. could have taken/started
47. She couldn’t have answered the question if she _____ the book.
A. didn’t read
B. wouldn’t read
C. haven’t read
D. hadn’t read
48. The officer gave the order that soldiers _____ to go out at night.
A. not be allowed
B. mustn’t be allowed
C. be not allowed
D. shouldn’t allow
49. _____ he would have succeeded in the examinations.
A. If he has worked hard
B. If he works hard
C. Had he worked hard
D. Were he worked hard
50. He was taken away by the police. He _____ for a thief.
A. should have been mistaken
B. must have been mistaken
C. could have been mistaken
D. is mistaken
1—5 BBBAD 6—10 DBCAA
11—15 DCDCC 16—20 AACAB
21—25 DDCBC 26—30 DCDDC
31—35 ADCDB 36—40 DBDCA
41—45 CCBAC 46—50 BDACB
1. If I ____ where he lived，I ____ a note to him.
B. had known，would have sent
C. know，would send
D. knew，would have sent
2. If they ____ earlier than expected，they ____ here now.
A. had started，would be
B. started，might be
C. had started，would have been
D. will start，might have been
3. I didn't know his telephone number. ____ it，I ____ then.
A. Had I known，would ring him up
B. Should I know，would have rung him up
C. If I knew；would ring him up
D. Had I known；would have rung him up
4. Mary is ill today. If she _____，she ____ absent from school.
A. were not ill，wouldn't be
B. had been ill，wouldn't have been
C. had been ill，should have been
D. hadn't been ill，could be
5. Were I to do it，I ________ it some other way.
A. will do
B. would do
C. would have done
D. were to do
6. I ________ him the answer ________ possible，but I was so busy then.
A. could tell，if it had been
B. must have told，were it
C. should have told，had it been
D. should have told，should it be
7. Without your help，we________ so much.
A. won't achieve
B. didn't achieve
C. don't achieve
D. wouldn't have achieved
8. Y ou didn't take his advice. ________ his advice，you ________ such a mistake.
A. Had you taken，wouldn't have made
B. If you had taken，would make
C. Were you lo take，shouldn't have made
D. Have you taken，won't have made
9. We wish we ____ what you did when we were at high school.
B. could have done
C. have done
D. should do
10. She wishes she ____ to the theatre last night.
B. would go
C. had gone
D. were going
11. Tom is very short now. His mother wishes that he ________ be tall when he grows up.
D. were able to
12. My sister advised me that I ________ accept the invitation.
13. He asks that he ________ an opportunity to explain why he's refused to go there.
A. is given
B. must give
C. should give
D. be given
14. Do you think of Wang Fang's suggestion that he ________ Mr. Li to the party？
A. will invite
B. have invited
C. is invited
15. I insisted that he ________ at once.
A. be gone
C. would go
D. might go
16. Li Ming insisted that he ________ anything at all.
A. hadn't stolen
B. shouldn't steal
C. doesn't steal
17. It is quite natural that my coming late again ________ them very angry.
A. had made
B. would make
18. He acted as if he ________ everything in the world.
C. has known
D. won't know
19. Read it aloud so that I ________ you clearly.
A. may hear
B. will hear
D. have heard
20. They got up early in order that they ________ they first train.
B. will catch
C. might catch
D. shall catch
21. I am sorry that he ________ in such poor health.
B. shall be
D. should be
22. That is a good book. Y ou ________ it yesterday.
A. could buy
B. should buy
C. should have bought
23. It is high time we ________ home.
A. will go
B. would go
C. have gone
24. I'd rather that you ________ home.
B. have gone
C. will go
D. had gone
25. If only I _________ to the lecture！
B. will listen
C. am listening
D. had listened
26. —— If he_____，he ______ that food.
---- Luckily he was sent to the hospital immediately.
A. was warned，would not take
B. had been warned，would not have taken
C. would be warned，had not taken
D. would have been warned，had not taken
27. I didn't see your sister at the meeting. If she _________，she would have met my brother.
A. has come
B. did come
D. had come
28. Without electricity，human life ________ quite different today.
B. will be
C. would have been
D. would be
29. He ________ you more help，even though he was very busy.
A. might have given
B. might give
C. may have given
D. may give
30. If city noises _______ from increasing，people _______ shout to be heard even at the dinner table 20 years from now.
A. are not kept，will have to
B. are not kept，have to
C. do not keep，will have to
D. do not keep，have to
31. Mike's father，as well as his mother，insisted that he ________ home.
B. could stay
C. has stayed
32. Mr. Smith insisted that he ________ the work all.
A. had done
B. have done
33. Jane would never have gone to the party ________ that Mary would come to see her.
A. has she known
B. had she known
C. if she know
D. if she has known
34. If you had enough money，what ________？
A. will you buy
B. would you buy
C. would you have bought
D. will you have bought
35. If you ________ that film late last night，you wouldn't be so sleepy.
A. didn't see
B. haven't seen
C. wouldn't have seen
D. hadn't seen
36. Our monitor requested that ________.
A. all the class studied more carefully the problem
B. the problem was more carefully studied
C. with great care the problem could be studied
D. all the class study the problem more carefully
37. —— Would you have called her up had it been possible？
Y es, but I ________ busy doing my homework.
C. had been
D. would be
38. His tired face suggested that he ________ really tired after the long walk.
A. had been
D. should be
39. It is important that we ________.
A. shall close the window before we leave
B. will close the window before we leave
C. must close the window before we leave
D. close the window before we leave
40. I didn't know his telephone number，otherwise I ______ him.
A. had telephoned
B. would telephone
C. would have telephoned
1~5 BADAB 6~10 CDABC 11~15 CCDDB 16~20 ADAAC 21~25 DCDAD 26~30 BDDAA
31~35 DABBD 36~40 DABDC