1. “Do you have any clothes _______ (wash)?” asked the maid.
2. The great danger lay in _______ (not know) our shortcomings, so we must be very
careful about what we are going to do.
3. If elected, he promised he would do all he could _______ (promote) public welfare.
4. You are wasting your time _______ (persuade) him; he will never take your advice.
5. He wished _______ (remember) to you and your family.
6. The young teacher could hardly make himself _______ (pay) attention to because the
students were so noisy.
7. We can do nothing now but _______ (encourage) him.
8. I meant _______ (visit) you last weekend, but I was too busy and could not afford any
9. The e-mail I had been looking forward to _______ (come) at last.
10. Don’t let those who are not old enough _______ (enter) the video game arcade.
11. The boy can’t help but _______ (follow) his parents’ advice because he thinks his
parents’ words are right.
12. The naughty boy pretended _______ (not watch) TV when his mother came in.
13. I tried my best to do what I could _______ (help) Grace with her lessons.
14. Do you feel like _______ (have) a walk along the river?
15. A number of people _______ (stand) outside asked _______ (allow) _______ (enter)
16. It is no use _______ (regret) _______ (not study) hard last term. What you should do
is _______ (make) up your mind _______ (accomplish) your task.
17. _______ (hear) him sing English songs, and you cannot help _______ (laugh).
18. _______ (force) to eat in the school cafeteria every day made me sick.
19. She felt it quite honored _______ (invite) to the opening ceremony of the film festival.
20. The bakery run by the Smiths is reported in today’s newspaper _______ (burn) down
21. I’m considering _______ (make) a new plan for the trip.
22. The flowers require _______ (water) every other day if they are to survive.
23. There is no _______ (stand) still in this life; one must either advance or fall behind.
24. A high position brings many benefits, but it also means _______ (have) much
25. He objected to _______ (keep) waiting for such a long time.
26. What is the best way you can think of _______ (ensure) an adequate supply of blood
for this young patient?
27. Articles used by patients must be disinfected before ____________ (use) by others.
28. He is said ____________ (write) several books about the workers in the past few
29. There ought to be no trouble _____________ (dry) your clothes.
30. There is one more point which is worth_______________ (mention).
Key:1 to be washed 2 not knowing 3 to promote 4 persuading 5 to be remembered 6 paid 7 encourage 8 to have visited 9 came 10 enter
11 follow 12 not to be watching 13 to help 14 having 15 standing to be allowed