1. Vocabulary：Multiple Choices unit 1
Directions: There are 10 incomplete statements here. You are required to complete each statement by choosing the appropriate answer from the 4 choices marked A),
B), C) and D).
1. The engineer’s ears are highly sensitive ______ any unusual sound in the machine.
A) of B) on C) to D) by
2. Every new staff is required to take the training course, ______ will help them know more about the company.
A) which B) that C) it D) where
3. The general mana ger required that all documents ______ before twelve o’clock today.
A) be submitted B) should submit C) must be submitted D) will submit
4. I don’t think ______ possible to master a foreign language without much memory work.
A) it B) that C) this D) those
5. In the world no country has exactly the same folk music ______ that of any other countries.
A) with B) as C) to D) like
6. Mr. Brown often wears a heavy coat because he is not used ______ in such a cold climate.
A) to live B) to living C) live D) lived
7. For the past year, I ______ a flat with other people and trying to save money to open my business.
A) shared B) have been sharing C) had shared D) am sharing
8. We show much interest in the latest model of digital cameras ______ in your catalogues.
A) to illustrate B) to be illustrated C) illustrated D) which illustrated
9. Country life is better than city life ______ it offers fresh air and noiseless environment.
A) in which B) in that C) as that D) as for
10. No sooner had the manager finished his talk ______ he was surrounded by journalists.
A) than B) then C) when D) as
2. Vocabulary: Matching 中英文单词配对型难度B级unit 1 Directions: Match the English phrases and expressions in the left column with the Chinese ones in the right column.
1. good news from Beijing ______ A. 收集信息
2. establish priorities ______ B. 珍本
3. be rated as the best player ______ C. 居首
4. put off a meeting ______ D. 来自北京的好消息
5. be ranked number one ______ E. 确定轻重缓急
6. over time ______ F. 抽出前面的两段
7. gather information ______ G. 马上
8. a unique copy ______ H. 严重后果
9. immediately after the war ______ I. 战争刚结束
10. significant changes ______ J. 显著改变
11. serious consequence ______ K. 关键时刻
12. pull out the first two paragraphs ______ L. 随着时间的过去
13. right away ______ M. 被认为是最好的运动员
14. a crucial time ______ N. 推迟会议
Part II Reading ABCD选择题型难度B级unit 1
Directions:After reading the following passage, you will find 5 questions or unfinished statements ,numbered 1 through 5. For each question or statement there are 4 choices marked A), B), C) and D). You should make the correct choice.
London is the capital of England and the United Kingdom. The history of the London can go back to its founding by the Romans, who called it Londinium. London is a leading global city, with strengths in the arts, commerce, education, entertainment, fashion, finance, healthcare, media, profession services, tourism, and transport. It is the world’s largest financial centre alongside New York, having the largest city GDP in Europe and is home to the headquarters of more than 100 of Europe’s 500 largest companies. It has the most international visitors of any city in the world. London Heathrow is the world’s busiest airport by number of international passengers.
London’s 43 university form the largest concentration of higher education institutions in Europe. In 2012, London will become the first city to host the Summer Olympics three times. London has a diverse range of peoples, cultures and religions, and more than 300 languages are spoken within its boundaries. London’s Chinatown is the largest in Europe. The London Underground railway network in the world and the most extensive after the Shanghai Metro.
1. London was founded by ______
A) the Englishmen B) the Romans C) the Germans D) the Europeans
2. London is a leading global city in the following areas except ______.
A) the arts, entertainment and tourism
B) commerce, finance and transport
C) education, professional services and industry
D) fashion, healthcare and media
3. Heathrow Airport is the world’s busiest airport due to ______
A) its large area
B) the number of its passengers
C) the number of its international flights
D) the number of its international passengers
4. In 2012, London will hold the Summer Olympics ______
A) for the first time B)for the second time C) for the third time D) three times
5. According to the passage, which of the following is NOT true?
A) The London Underground network is more extensive than Shanghai Metro.
B) More than 300 languages are spoken in London.
C) The Chinatown in London is the largest one in Europe.
D) The headquarters of more than 100 of Europe’s 500 largest companies are in London.
Part III Translation: English to Chinese unit 1
Directions: Each of the four sentences is followed by four choices of suggested translation marked A), B) , C) and D). Make the best choice.
1. Mr. Smith demands that all reports be carefully written and above all be based on the facts. ______
2. The first requirement for improving your manner is to think in an understanding way. ______
3. Peter misunderstood the instructions his boss gave him and mailed the wrong documents to the supplier. ______
4. Each time someone comes to me complaining, I will choose to accept their complaints.
1. Vocabulary：Multiple Choices unit 2
Directions: There are 10 incomplete statements here. You are required to complete each statement by choosing the appropriate answer from the 4 choices marked A),
B), C) and D).
1. The picture reminds me ______ the time we spent together in New York.
A) of B) in C) for D) to
2. When they had finished playing, the children were made ______ all the toys they had taken out.
A) put away B) to put away C) putting away D) be put away
3. Do you remember ______ to Professor Smith during your last visit?
A) to be introduced B) being introduced
C) having introduced D) to have introduced
4. Our concert turned out to be a great success, ______ they had never expected.
A) what B) that C) when D) which
5. I suggest that we ______ a weekly meeting about this project over the phone call.
A) may have B) should have C) had D) will have
6. We didn’t know the resignation of the manager ______ he himself told us at the meeting yesterday.
A) unless B) if C) whether D) until
7. The company did not decide ______ the new product in the local newspaper.
A) how they will advertise B) how should they advertise
C) how do they advertise D) how they would advertise
8. I felt so embarrassed that I couldn’t do anything but ______ there when I first met my present boss.
A) sit B) sat C) sitting D) to sit
9. We are all so excited at the news ______ our annual sales have more than doubled.
A) that B) it C) which D) what
10. We have spent so much time on this question and it is not worth ______ again and again.
A) discussing B) to discuss C) being discussed D) to be discussed
2. Vocabulary: Matching 中英文单词配对型难度B级unit 2 Directions: Match the English phrases and expressions in the left column with the Chinese ones in the right column.
1. follow one’s dream ______ A. 聚集的人群
2. as a result ______ B. 下决心
3. raise money/funds ______ C. 一个200英亩的大牧场
4. the assembled group ______ D. 结果；因此
5. a 200-acre ranch ______ E. 追随梦想
6. put a great deal of one’s heart into …______ F. 一个不现实的梦想
7. write about sth. in great detail ______ G. 在…上投入大量心血
8. an unrealistic dream ______ H. 非常详细地写什么
9. make up one’s mind ______I. 筹款
10. turn in one’s paper ______J. 交上文章
Part II Reading ABCD选择题型难度B级unit 2
Directions:After reading the following passage, you will find 5 questions or unfinished statements, numbered 1 through 5. For each question or statement there are 4 choices marked A), B), C) and D). You should make the correct choice.
Airbus has won an order for 30 of its new A320neo-series planes from Lufthansa valued at about $US2.8 billion at list price. The contract specifics 25 standard A320neos and five larger A321s, and the aircrafts will be delivered from 2016.
Lufthansa, which also ordered five Boeing 777 cargo planes worth $US1.35 billion, is renewing its fleet to cut costs and replace smaller regional planes with larger models. The neo will burn 15 per cent less kerosene (燃油).
“Besides greater fuel efficiency, all the models on order will help lower operating costs as well as noise level and emissions,” Lufthansa said. “The orders are further steps in Lufthansa’s ongoing fleet modernization policy.”
Airbus’ contract from Lufthansa, Europe’s second –largest airline, comes as Chicago-based Boeing ponders an upgrade of the competing 737 model. Airbus, the planemaking unit of European Aeronautic, Defence &Space, predicted in December that it could sell as many as 4,000 of the modified A320 planes over 15 years.
1. How many standard A320neos have been ordered by Lufthansa?
A) 5 B) 25 C) 30 D) 35
2. Which of the following is NOT the reason that Lufthansa ordered Boeing 777?
A) to renew its Fleet
B) to cut its costs
C) to replace smaller regional planes whit larger ones
D) to comfort passengers
3. Which of the following is NOT the advantage of the new models?
A) Lower noise level B) Lower operating costs
C) More space for passengers D) Great fuel efficiency
4. How many modified A320 planes will be sold by the end of December?
A) 2,016 B) 737 C) 321 D) 4,000
5. Which of the following information is correct?
A) The orders have modernized Lufthansa’s fleet
B) Lufthansa is the largest airline in Europe
C) The order of Boeing 777 costs Lufthansa $US2.8 billion
D) The neo will burn 5 percent less kerosene than the existing one
Part III Translation: English to Chinese 英翻中ABCD型难度B级unit 2 Directions: Each of the four sentences is followed by four choices of suggested translation marked A), B), C) and D). Make the best choice.
1. Candidates should be given the company brochure to read while they are waiting for their interviews.
2. Learning to live in the same room can be exciting and frightening for those who have never lived away from home before.
3. You will find throughout school and in each class that each student confronts an exam in a variety of different manners.
4. Keeping your body and mind in tune with your ongoing classes and studying needs will give you extra motivation needed to conquer an exam.
1. Vocabulary：Multiple Choices四选一型难度A级unit 3 Directions: There are 10 incomplete statements here. You are required to complete each statement by choosing the appropriate answer from the 4 choices marked A),
B), C) and D).
1. Jane is busy ______ invitatio n for our company’s anniversary celebration.
A) to write B) writing C) write D) written
2. Before the meeting, our manager requested that everyone ______ well-prepared.
A) was B) be C) is D) will be
3. She has been working in marketing department for three years, but she behaves as if she ______ still a green hand.
A) were B) was C) is D) had been
4. Business trips abroad offer opportunities for international trade ______ expands the market for the company’s products.
A) which B) where C) in which D) in that
5. It was a cold winter night, and there wasn’t anyone ______ the boy could turn to for help in the street.
A) that B) which C) whom D) what
6. The newly appointed manager stood there, ______ by a group of reporters.
A) surrounded B) being surrounded
C) having been surrounded D) to be surrounded
7. The police have called in an expert to identify ______ handwriting is actually on the ransom letter.
A) who B) whose C) which D) that
8. I am terribly disappointed ______ my grade because I had studied very hard.
A) in B) to C) with D) from
9. No sooner ______ writing his report than my cell phone rang.
A) I had finished B) I finished C) had I finished D) do I finish
10. The staff were overjoyed to hear the news ______ their company had got through this crisis.
A) which B) that C) what D) who
2. Vocabulary: Matching 中英文单词配对型难度B级unit 3 Directions: Match the English phrases and expressions in the left column with the Chinese ones in the right column.
1. all-time bestseller ______ A. 得到，想出
2. generations of people ______ B. 好几代人
3. feel good about oneself ______ C. 生命的迹象
4. have a great impact on ______ D. 客观合理地对待人生
5. a sign of life ______ E. 自我感觉良好
6. be fed up with ______ F. 厌倦
7. turn a deaf ear to ______ G. 毫不注意，不愿听
8. put life in perspective ______ H. 严重的危险
9. grave jeopardy ______ I. 空前畅销书
10. come up with ______ J. 对…产生重大影响
Part II Reading BLANKS难度B级unit 3
Directions:The following is a poster. After reading it, you should complete the information by filling in the blanks marked 1 through 5 (in no more than 3 words) in the table below.
The Spanish Hour
For any students interested in learning Spanish, sign up at Spanish Conversation Classes and join us for the Spanish Hour “La Hora De Espanol.” This informal event takes place every Tuesday from 12:00-1:00 p.m. at X303 during the semester. Meet staff and students from the Latin America Student Association for Spanish conversation.
A program will be emailed to you.
Bring a pencil and paper!
For beginners: each week we cover a different area of vocabulary and some basic grammar. Students can join at any time during the semester (Sem. 1&2 only).
For intermediate and advanced students: we cover an article or discussion topic with a native speaker; however this must be arranged via the language exchange program and subject to availability of native speakers.
If you have any further inquiry, please contact us through issadvice@nyu.
during the semester^X303^some basic grammar^a native speaker^
issadvice@nyu. edu. uk
Part III Translation: English to Chinese 英翻中ABCD型难度B级unit 3 Directions: Each of the four sentences is followed by four choices of suggested translation marked A), B) , C) and D). Make the best choice.
1. The Internet is a vast network that connects many smaller independent networks in more than 170 countries worldwide.
2. Millions of users came online within months, and a new era of information sharing began.
3. Susan was looking for a restaurant or a caféwhere she could sit and have something to drink.
4. But there was nobody interested in what was happening.
1. Vocabulary：Multiple Choices 四选一型难度A级unit 4 Directions: There are 10 incomplete statements here. You are required to complete each statement by choosing the appropriate answer from the 4 choices marked A),
B), C) and D).
1. So far there is no proof ______ spaceships from other planets do exist.
A) which B) that C) how D) what
2. There’s no point ______ about the quality of products to the shop-assistant.
A) to point B) pointing C) pointed D) having pointed
3. Only after hundreds of experiments ______ succeed in solving such a complex problem.
A) do they B) they do C) did they D) they did
4. All we request is that the committee ______ our suggestion again.
A) shall consider B) considers C) will consider D) consider
5. I am not on speaking term with Jane, though I ______ with her for half a year.
A) have worked B) had worked C) worked D) will work
6. Mr. Brown is going to visit the university ______ he studied 10 years ago.
A) where B) which C) that D) in where
7. I hope that my teacher will take my recent illness into account when ______ my final examination.
A) to judge B) judging C) being judged D) having judged
8. There are so many companies offering mobile phone and Internet services ______ it can be difficult to choose one.
A) as B) that C) so D) which
9. I don’t think this software is appropriate ______ children under 12 years old.
A) to B) with C) for D) at
10. ______ his first degree, he went abroad to do more research under the famous professor.
A) Having finished B) Finishing C) Finished D) To have finished
2. Vocabulary: Matching 中英文单词配对型难度B级unit 4 Directions: Match the English phrases and expressions in the left column with the Chinese ones in the right column.
1. head for Utah ______ A. 停下来
2. fasten the seat belt ______ B. 找回身体的知觉
3. come to a stop ______ C. 系好座椅上的安全带
4. one’s physical condition ______ D. 某人目前的状况
5. athletic sport ______ E. 放弃自己的梦想
6. a critical time of doubts and fears ______ F. 摇轮椅参加马拉松赛跑
7. have feeling return to one’s body ______G. 竞技体育
8. race wheelchairs in marathons ______ H. 出发去犹他州
9. one’s current circumstances ______I. 充满疑虑和恐惧的关键时刻
10. let go of one’s dreams ______J. 某人的身体状况
Part II Reading BLANKS难度B级unit 4
Directions:There is a notice below. After reading it, you should complete the information by filling in the blanks marked 1 through 5 (in no more than 3 words) in the table below.
There are a number of Student Visas expiring in March 2011. Please check your Student Visa for its expiry date.
Those students whose visas are expiring shortly and
·are intending to continue to study should submit an IE Form to the Student Center immediately for a Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) for the purpose of applying for a Student Visa. Processing of your CoE will take a minimum of 5 working days, so please allow enough time before your visa expires.
·have completed their studies at the end of Semester two, December 2010 or summer 2010/2011 and wish to stay longer in Australia to travel or to attend the graduation ceremony must apply for a Visitor Visa. Students should consult the Department of Immigration and Citizenship (DIAC) website at: www. immi. gov. au or call DIAC on 131881 or visit the Student Center for further information.
Students who are continuing to study must also renew compulsory Overseas Student Health Cover to avoid huge medical and/or hospital expenses.
an IE Form^a Student Visa^five working days^a Visitor Visa^http://m.wendangku.net/doc/50db984d58f5f61fb73666be.html.au
Part III Translation: English to Chinese 英翻中ABCD型难度B级unit 4 Directions: Each of the four sentences is followed by four choices of suggested translation marked A), B) , C) and D). Make the best choice.
1. Barbara’s parent told her about the pets they used to have when they were kids.
2. But someday the time may be right for you and your family to adopt a new animal for everyone to love.
3. Teasing a dog can make it angry or frustrated enough to bite.
4. You can respect a dog by giving it a space and following certain rules.
1. Vocabulary：Multiple Choices unit 7
Directions: There are 10 incomplete statement here. You are required to complete each statement by choosing the approriate answer from the 4 choices marked A) ,
B), C) and D) .
1.We have advantage ______ you in the field of manufacturing electrical products.
A) by B) over C) with D) above
2. Betty spent all evening talking about her new book, ______ none of us had ever heard.
A) of which B) from which C) in which D) by which
3. Jennifer practiced ______ the word untill she sounded just like a native speaker.
A) to pronouncing B) pronouncing C) pronounce D) pronounced
4. It is essential that he ______ that employment agreement by the end of this month.
A) sign B) had signed C) will sign D) signed
5. Visiters to our office building ______ to have their bags checked for safety reasons.
A) is requiring B) require C) required D) are required
6. It is not decided ______ the conference will be held.
A) what B) which C) when D) that
7. We left the office two hours earlier ______ we should miss the six o’clock plane.
A) so that B) so as C) in case D) in order to
8. During the press conferrence, the president remained silent when ______ more details of the incident.
A) asking for B) asked for C) being asked for D) to be asked for
9. No sooner had entered he office ______ a knock at the door.
A) when she heared B) than she heared C) then she heared D) did she hear
10. He ______ the 10:30 train because he didn’t leave the office till 10:45.
A) can catch B) could catch C) may not catch D) couldn’t have caught
2. Vocabulary: Matching 难度B级unit 7
Directions: Match the English phrases and expressions in the left column with the Chinese ones in the right column.
1. work with difficult people ______ A. 在工作中随心所欲
2. wait tables at a restaurant ______ B. 为某人找借口
3. explode at sb. in front of customers
4. make excuses for sb. ______ D. 在一家餐馆做服务员
5. be difficult at times ______ E. 抱怨银行管理不善
6. be reluctant to change one’s way
7. get one’s way at work ______ G. 有时候难以相处
8. stand up for oneself without
9. complain about the bank being
10. interpersonal and problem-solving
J. 在顾客面前对某人大发雷霆skills ______
Part III Translation: English to Chinese 难度B级unit 7
Directions: Each of the four sentences is followed by four choices of suggested translation marked A), B) , C) and D. Make the best choice.
1. Obtaining enough food is the first concern for every nation; in some countries food shortages have become a serious problem. ______
2. I will give you a clear idea of the market conditions in the region as soon as possible. ______
3. Terrorism is a voilent act committed by people who want to get attention for their cause. ______
4. Right after a terrorist attack, everyone has questions they want answered and feelings they need to express. ______
A~25,, B~50,, C,, D~0^A~50,, B~0,, C,, D~25^A,, B~50,, C~25,, D~0^A,, B~50,,
Part II Reading ABCD 难度B级unit 7
Directions: Read the following passage and choose the best answer for each of the questions.
How a person reacts to criticism often means the difference between success and failure. Take the case of Ole Bull, the famous Norwegian violinist (小提琴家) of the past century.
His practical father, a chemist, sent him to the Uiversity of Christiana to study for the ministry and forbade (禁止) him to play his beloved violin. He promptly flunked
out (因考试不及格而被迫退学) and, defying (不服从) his father, devoted (投入于) all his time and energy to the violin. Unfortunately, though he had great ability, his teachers were relatively unskilled (拙劣的), so by the time he was ready to start his concert tour he wasn’t prepared.
In Italy a Milan newspaper critic wrote: “He is an untrained musician. If he were a diamond, he should be certainly in the rough (粗糙的) and unpolished(无光泽的).”
There were two ways Ole Bull could have reacted to that criticism. He could have let it make him angry, or he could learn from it. Fortunately he chose the latter. He went to the newspaper office and asked to see the critic. The astounded editor introduced him. Ole spent the evening with the 70-year-old critic, asked about his faults, and sought the older man’s advice on how to correct them.
Then he canceled (取消) the rst of his tour, returned home, and spent the next six months studying under really able teachers. He practiced hours upon hours to overcome (克服) his fauts. Finally, he returned to his concert and, when only 26, became the sensation (轰动的人或事) of Europe.
1. Which of the following statement is true? ______
A) Ole Bull’s father wanted him to follow his footsteps.
B) Ole Bull was not allowed to play his violin because he didn’t do well in study.
C) Ole Bull is an example of success by learning from criticism.
D) Ole Bull was prepared for his concert when he started his concert tour.
2. In the fourth paragraph, the underlined word “astounded” means ______.
A) very surprised B) friendly C) angry D) polite
3. How did Ole Bull react when he was criticized? ______
A) Ole got very angry with the Milan newspaper critic.
B) Ole went to see the critic and asked for his advice on how to make improvment.
C) Ole neither got angry about the criticism nor wanted to learn from the criticism.
D) Ole canceled the rest of his tour and went back home.
4. Why did he canceled the rest of his tour and return home? ______
A) Becase he wanted to continue with his violin study.
B) Becase he wanted to spent half a year at home.
C) Becase he wanted to return home and study under his former violin teachers.
D) Becase he wanted to study under competent teachers and overcome his shortcomings.
5. Which of the following statement is not true? ______
A) He finally returned to his concerts.
B) He canceled the rest of his tour to give his concerts in Europe.
C) He spent a lot of time on violin practice to overcome his fauts.
D) He became very successful at the age of 26.