1. “What is the most popular food in England?” “I think it is __________.”
A.fish and chip
B.fishes and chip
C.fishes and chips
D.fish and chips
2. Jim wants ________ for breakfast every day.
A.piece of breads
C.piece of bread
D.two pieces of bread
3. Linda often gives us ________ by e-mail.
A.a useful information
B.some useful informations
C.an useful information
D.some useful information
4. Nowadays ________ are not always made of ________.
5. Finally Billy got ________ as a waiter in a restaurant.
A.a piece of job
C.a piece of works
6. ________ you have a good time last Sunday?
7. The workers have built a lot of new houses in Shanghai ________.
A.in the past ten years
B.for ten years
D.ten years ago
8. Tom and I ________ in the same office.
9. My brother didn’t go to the film because he ________ it twice.
10. When I got to the cinema, the film ________ for five minutes.
B.has been on
D.had been on
11. When we got there, the road ________.
A.is being repaired
C.has been repaired
D.was being repaired
12. My sister ________ by Grandma while my parents are away.
A.will be taken care
B.will take care of
C.will be taken care of
D.will be taken care
13. The People’s Republic of China ________ in 1949.
14. This kind of wood ________ houses.
http://m.wendangku.net/doc/517aa33d2af90242a895e580.htmled to building
B.are used to building
C.is used to build
D.is used to building
15. The medicine ________ cool, clean and dry.
B.must be kept
C.must be keep
D.must be in
16. You’d better _______ the letter by ordinary mail.
B.not to send
C.to not send
17. He hasn’t got up. He _______ ill.
18. I _______ speak a little English when I was only four.
A.am able to
C.could be able
19. You _______ tell him the news.
B.don’t need to
20. Peter _______ come with us tonight, but he isn’t very sure yet.
21. “Have you finished your report yet?” “No, I’ll finish it in ________ ten minutes.”
22. He was ill. ________ is why he didn’t attend the meeting.
23. I hope there are enough glasses for each guest to have ________.
24. A lot of people have tried, but ________ have succeeded.
25. If you are late, you should make an apology to the teacher ________ at the time ________ after class.
A.not only…but also
26. His way of living is different from ________.
B.that of ours
D.that of us
27. Last Sunday we went to visit him. He showed us some ________ paintings.
A.beautiful old Chinese
B.Chinese old beautiful
C.old beautiful Chinese
D.old beautiful and Chinese
28. Girl students are much cleverer in our class than ________ in theirs.
29. Listen, her voice ________ her mother’s.
D.is sounding like
30. Tom’s composition is better than ________ in the class.
C.anyone el se’s
31. ________ of the workers in John’s company are in ________.
D.A half…their twenties
32. We can see ________ stars at night if it doesn’t rain.
33. “How deep is the hole?” “It is ________.”
A.four metre deep
B.four metres deep
34. There are ________ students in our school.
A.five hundreds and forty-two
B.five hundred and forty two
C.five hundred and forty-two
D.five hundreds and forty two
35. “How far away is it from here to your school?” “It’s about ________.”
A.half an hour’s drive
B.half hours drives
C.half an hour drive
36. “________ have you visited the Great Wall?” “Twice.”
C.How many times
37. ________ some hot tea now?
A.Do you like
B.Will you like
C.Would you like
D.Should you like
38. “What’s on the desk?” “________ some English books.”
39. He doesn’t th ink I will get good marks, ________?
40. They need some help, ________ they?
41. He can speak ________ English ________ Japanese, because he hasn’t learned a foreign language.
42. Turn left ________ walk along Park Road.
43. “He had to get up early.” “________.”
A.So had I
B.So do I
C.So did I
D.So I did
44. You must take away the clothes from the heat of the fire, ________ they might get burnt.
45. “Would you like to come to dinner tonight?” “I’d like to, ________ I’m too busy.”
46. I don’t know if he ________. If he ________, please let me know.
D.will come…will come
47. ______ he was very tired, he still went on working hard.
48. The coat was ________ expensive ________ he could not afford the expense.
49. Speak to him slowly ________ he may understand you better.
50. The students are happy ________ they have a new school library.
51. The watch doesn’t work. I think I’ll _________.
A.have repaired it
B.ask someone repair it
C.have it repaired
D.have it repairing
52. Did you notice him _________ the road?
53. She is so old that she has to have her clothes _________.
D.to make them
54. Jack and Jim would like _________ Mr. Smith in his garden.
55. I’m so tired that I don’t feel like _________anything.
56. I saw the great changes in China ________ my own eyes.
57. He spent a long time ________ the maths problem.
58. Thank you ________ your coming.
59. You must apologize ________ her for your rudeness.
60. Let me introduce my friend Mary ________ you.
61. Neither he nor I ________ going to tie this tree to the stick.
62. Class Two ________ all out on the playground now.
63. Mr. Brown, together with his children ________ come. Let’s set out.
64. The teacher told the pupils that the earth ________ around the sun.
65. When I finish these books, I’ll ________ to the library.
A.give it back
B.give to them
C.give them back
D.give back them
66. _______ of students have worked out the maths problem.
67. The price of this watch is ________.
68. It will take seven days for the box of books to_______ Beijing.
69. The room is too small to ________ so many people.
70. It’s two years since he _______our club.
A.took part in
71. Take this empty box away and _______ me a full one.
72. Please ________ my advice and don’t go there.
73. He_______ a brown jacket that day.
A.was putting on
74. He _______quietly and _______ a low voice calling from the street “help, help”.
75. I _______ ten yuan for this book.
76. As he was still hungry, he started to _______ something to eat.
77. This kind of paper is made _______ wood.
78. The river ________ by two feet after the heavy rain.
79. What was the _______score of the match?
80. Edison _______ his vegetables _______what he needed in his chemistry lab.
81. The little boy_______ on the grass just now.
82. The postman comes to our factory_______
83. You should ________ the truth. It is wrong to tell lies.
84. Would you please ________ a photo of me?
85. The girl _______ me if her composition was well done.
86. She _______ a present from him, but did not _______ it.
87. “Where is your umbrella?”
“Oh, I have it on the bus. What shall I do?”
88. A beautiful dress in the shop window suddenly ________ my eye.
89. I believe him. There is no ________ about his honesty.
90. Mary didn’t feel well so she ________ some medicine.
91. More than 3000 people ________ their lives in the terrible earthquake.
92. I’m sorry, I can’t ________ the difference between these two words.
93. As soon as the patient was sent to hospital, the doctor started to ________ him.
94. We are asked to ________ the rules by heart.
95. The little girl ________ the bed every day.
96. ________ and tell them to hurry up.
A.Ring them up
B.Put them on
C.Turn them down
D.Shout at them
97. The light is still on. I’m sorry I forgot to ________ it ________ before I left.
98. Over a hundred students are ________ the speech contest.
B.going up to
C.going in for
D.taking the place of
99. Why doesn’t Tom ________ the game?
100. I’m glad to ________ a friend of mine.
101. D on’t be afraid. ________ my hand.
B.Get rid of
C.Take hold of
102. The teacher is ________ books to the students in the class.
103. I’m sorry. The tickets have been ________ .
104. He is leaving tomorrow. Would you like to ________ at the airport?
C.see him off
D.look for him
105. Walt Disney’s dream ________ because he opened an amusement park. A.came up B.came true
106. You’d better ________ leave if you can’t go to the meeting.
D.set out for
107. After________ school Jack to see his sick grandpa.
108. The boy can’t ________ how many hours there are in a year.
109. Last night he wanted to give up the job, but this morning he ________ .
A.made up his mind
B.changed his mind
110. The restaurant was ________ in 1983 by a woman cook.
111. Look, the little boy ________ a big dictionary from the shelf.
A.is taking down
B.is taking out
C.is taking up
D.is taking back
112. Students should not only learn facts, but also learn how to ________ facts.
113. The teacher ________ the picture and started to tell the story.
114. It seems that the hat fits you very well. Please ________ .
A.try it on
B.try on it
C.put it on
D.put on it
115. A new play will be ________ at the Capital Theatre next week.
116. It’s good to stand on top of the hill a nd ________ fresh air.
117. The doctor asked my father to ________ smoking.
118. Will you please ________ the word in the dictionary?
119. Are you going to ________ any events at the school sports meeting?
B.take part in
120. Two thieves ________ the shop and took away some TV sets.
B.broke away from
121. Now people have began to learn how to ________ pollution.
C.get on with
D.get rid of
122. We haven’t ________ what to do tomorrow.
123. Tom isn’t an honest student. You can’t ________ him for help.
C.go on with
124. The bike hit a car and ________.
125. I don’t know what they are ________ .
1. Water is very important to us. We cannot live without it.
There is a lot of water on the earth, but we cannot use most of it. About 97.4% of the earth’s water is salty. Most of the fresh（淡的）water is snow and ice near the North and South Poles （极）.
We can use only about one percent of the water on the earth. We use water from both lakes and rivers. Some of the water evaporates（蒸发）and then becomes rain. Of course we use rain water for farms and other things. We use this water again and again.
Sometimes the earth’s water is in the wrong place. There is a lot of rain in the tropics（热带地区）, but it is difficult to have farms in the tropics. Most of the land there is not very rich. Some desert land is rich, but there is only a little water in the desert.
Water is a problem for many people in the world.
(1) About______ of the earth’s water is fresh.
(2) Most of the fresh water is ______.
A.snow and ice
C.in lakes and rivers
(3) It rains after the water ______ from oceans, lakes and rivers.
(4) We only use ______ of the earth’s water.
(5) Most of the land in the tropics is ______ .
2. Mr. Li works in a middle school. He teaches his students art. He changes his clothes as soon as they are dirty and always keeps them clean and tidy.
There’s a garden between the school and his home. The garden is quite near his home. He usually walks through it when he goes to work. One afternoon, on his way home, a boy asked, “May I clean your shoes for you, sir?”
Mr. Li stopped to look at his shoes and found they were really very dirty. He agreed. The boy began to clean them carefully.
After the boy finished the work, Mr. Li asked, “How much, boy?”
“One yuan, sir.” Mr. Li gave him two yuan and said. “One more yuan for you. You can spend the money washing your face.”
After the boy heard this, he ran to the garden and washed his face in the pool. Then he came back and gave one yuan back to Mr. Li and said, “Your hair is too long. You’d bette r go and ask someone to cut your hair short. I’m sure you need the money!”
(1) Mr. Li usually goes to work ______.
(2) Mr. Li’s home is ______ .
A.near the garden
B.next to the boy
C.far from the school
D.far from the garden
(3) Mr. Li let the boy clean his shoes because ______ .
A.he was busy
B.they were dirty
C.the boy was polite
D.he wanted to help the boy
(4) Mr. Li didn’t want his one yuan back because ______ .
A.he thought his shoes were too dirty
B.he was very rich
C.the boy made his shoes clean
D.he wanted the boy to wash his dirty face
(5) The boy thought ______.
A.one yuan was no use
B.Mr. Li liked him
C.his face wasn’t dirty
D.Mr. Li laughed at him
3. Once upon a time a rich man and a poor tailor（裁缝）lived in the same house. The rich man lived upstairs and the poor tailor lived downstairs.
The tailor liked to sing when he made clothes. He sang one song after another. But the rich man liked to sleep a lot, and the singing troubled him.
One day the rich man said, “Tailor, I will give you a bag full of money every day if you stopped singing.”
“Fine,” said the tailor. And so the tailor stopped singing and became richer. But the more money he got from the rich man, the more unhappy he became, because he wanted very much to sing again.
Finally he brought all his money to the rich man. “Here,” he said, “take your money back. I can’t be happy if I can’t sing.”
And so he gave the money back to the rich man and went away singing. He sang and sang and he was happier than ever before.
(1) Once a rich man and a poor tailor lived ______ .
A.in the same room
B.in the different house
C.in the same floor
D.in the same building
(2) That tailor enjoyed singing ______.
A.while he was feeling unhappy
B.while he was working
C.while the rich man was sleeping
D.both B and C
(3) The rich man did not like the tailor’s singing because ______ .
A.the tailor didn’t sing well
B.the rich man didn’t like singing
C.the tailor’s singing didn’t make him sleep well
D.the rich man could sing better
(4) The rich man wanted to stop the tailor singing by ______ .
A.just telling him not to sing
B.giving him a lot of money
C.asking him to sing outside the house
D.asking him to stop singing while he was sleeping
(5) The poor tailor gave the money back to the rich man because ______ .
A.he thought the money was not useful to him
B.he had a lot more money than the rich man
C.he didn’t like money
D.he wanted to sing and he felt happy while he was singing
4. Tom Hofman got to Paris at last. He was met at the station by Mr. Hardy, one of his father’s good friends. Mr. Hardy was now working in Paris and he could speak very good French.
When they came out of the station, Mr. Hardy met a French woman and talked to her. Tom had learned French. He was interested in listening to speakers of French. He listened but he could not understand what they were talking about. He thought he knew French very well for he had studied it for one year and a half before he left New York. He had even joined a French association (协会) in New York and done a lot of reading every day. But now in Paris when a French woman asked him a question, he found something had gone wrong. He was certain that his answer was grammatically right. But the woman could not understand him. He tried some other words, but still he could not make himself understood.
At last Mr. Hardy told the woman what Tom had said in very easy words and both of them laughed. This made Tom know that it was not enough just to read a foreign language.
(1) What language did Tom Hofman speak before he came to Paris?
A.He spoke French.
B.He spoke English.
C.He spoke Japanese.
D.We don’t know
(2) What did Hofman do as a member of French Language Association in New York?
A.He got to know Mr. Hardy, one of his father’s good friends.
B.He met a French woman.
C.He asked many questions in French.
D.He read a lot of books in French.
(3) What did Hofman come to know when he arrived in Paris?
A.What he said in French could not be understood by people in France.
B.The French people could not speak French as well as he could.
C.He did not know how to talk to a French woman.
D.He knew little of the French grammar.
(4) Why could not the woman understand Tom?
A.Because he spoke too fast.
B.Because he did not want to answer her question.
C.Because he didn’t like to speak French.
D.Because he was not good at speaking French.
(5) Why did the French woman laugh at the end of the story?
A.Because she found it interesting to talk to a man like Tom Hofman
B.Because Mr. Hardy said something funny about Tom.
C.Because it was interesting to know what troubled Tom was only a very easy problem.
D.Because Tom had made a lot of mistakes in reading and so he could not answer the woman in French.
5. One day a lawyer’s wife fell ill. The lawyer went to get a doctor. The doctor knew that the lawyer was famous for not paying bills. So he said to the lawyer before he entered the house, “If I do cure your wife, I am afraid you may not pay me.”
“Sir,” replied the lawyer, “here is $500. Whether you cure my wife or you kill her, I will give you all this.”
The doctor believed him and went into the house. Wh en he reached the woman’s bedside, it soon became clear to him that he could do little. She was seriously ill and though he gave her some medicine, she soon died.
He told the lawyer he was very sorry, and asked for the money which he had been promised. “Did you kill my wife?” asked the lawyer.
“Of course I didn’t,” said the doctor.
“Well, then,” said the lawyer, “since you neither killed her nor cured her, I have nothing to pay you.”
(1) Before entering the house, the doctor ______ .
A.was afraid he couldn’t cure the lawyer’s wife
B.asked the lawyer for 500 dollars
C.didn’t know if the lawyer would keep his word
D.was reassured（使消除疑虑by the lawyer
(2) Because the lawyer’s wife was badly ill, the doctor ______ .
A.did nothing for her
B.spent a lot of time
C.found it impossible to cure her
D.didn’t examine her at all
(3) After the lawyer’s wife died, the doctor got ______ .
A.his pay as the lawyer had promised.
B.nothing but the money for medicine
D.no money at all
(4) I f the doctor had cured the lawyer’s wife, he would have got ______ .
A.more than $500
D.a little money
(5) The best title of this passage should be ______ .
A.The Lawyer and His Wife
B.A Good Doctor and a Poor Lawyer
C.The Lawyer’s Trick
D.A Serious Illness
6. A man was looking for things of old times. One day he came to a village and found a blue bowl which looked very old. The bowl was on the ground and a cat was drinking milk from it. A farmer, the owner of the cat, was lying beside the bowl. In order not to draw the farmer’s attention to the value of the bowl, the man said to him in a soft voice, “What a nice cat you have! Won’t you sell it to me?”
“How much would you give me for it?” the farmer opened his eyes and asked.
“Twenty dollars. Would it be enough?”
A few minutes later, the farmer agreed. After he paid the farmer, the man said, “My cat will certainly feel thirsty. May I take the bowl so that the cat can have milk?”
But the farmer said, “I’m sorry I can’t give it to you. Thanks to the bowl, I have already sold twenty cats.”
(1) The man liked ______ .
A.keeping old things
B.traveling from village to village
(2) Why did the man want to buy the cat? Because ______ .
A.it was very lovely
B.the cat cost more money than the bowl
C.he thought he could easily get the bowl if he bought the cat
D.he hadn’t enough money to buy both the cat and the bowl
(3) After he bought the cat, the man asked for the bowl, because he thought ______.
A.the bowl should go with the cat
B.the bowl had a beautiful colour
C.the farmer didn’t know the value of the bowl
D.the cat could not live without the bowl
(4) The farmer kept the bowl so that he could ______ .
A.let another cat use it
B.sell more cats
C.sell more bowls
http://m.wendangku.net/doc/517aa33d2af90242a895e580.htmle the bowl himself
(5) From the story we can see that the farmer ______ .
A.had only one bowl
B.was very poor
C.didn’t like cats
7. Jim wal ked into a store which had a sign outside: “Second-hand clothes bought and sold.” He was carrying an old jacket and asked the owner of the store. “How much will you give me for it?” the man looked at it and then said, “Two dollars.”
What?” said Jim,“I had thought it cost at least five.”
No,” said the man, “it isn’t worth more than two dollars.”
Are you sure?” asked Jim.
Very sure,” said the man.
Well,” said Jim, taking two dollars out of his pocket, “Here’s your money. Th is jacket was hanging outside your store with a price tag（价格标签）that said 6.50. But I thought that was too much money, so I wanted to make sure how much it was really worth.”
Then he walked out of the store with the jacket and disappeared before the surprised store owner could think of anything to say.
(1) ______were bought and sold in the store.
D.A and B and C
(2) Jim showed the owner the jacket ______ and asked the price.
A.he had taken outside the store
B.he had bought outside the store
C.he had brought from home
D.he was wearing
(3) “I had thought it cost at least five.” “At least five” means ______.
A.less than five
B.no more than five
C.more than five
D.five and perhaps more
(4) Why did Jim ask the owner of the store whether he was sure the jacket was worth only two dollars? Because ______ .
A.Jim thought it was just worth two dollars
B.Jim had no more than two dollars with him
C.Jim didn’t quite understand what the owner had said
D.Jim wanted to prevent him from regretting
(5) Jim got the jacket and saved ______.
8. A beautiful and very successful actress was the star of a new musical show. Her home was in the country, but she did not want to have to go back there every night, so she rented (租) an expensive flat in the center of the city, bought some beautiful furniture and hired a man to paint the rooms in new colours.
It was very difficult to get tickets for her show, because everybody wanted to see it, so she decided to give the painter two of the best seats. She hoped that this would make him work better and more willingly for her. He took the tickets without saying anything, and she heard no more about them until the end of the month, when she got the painter’s bill. At the bottom of it were the words: “Four hours watching Miss Hall sing and dance: ￡3,” with this note: “After 5 p.m. I get fifteen shillings an hour instead of ten shillings.”
(1) In the article, “Miss Hall” was the name of ______ .
A.a place where people sang and danced
B.an unmarried woman
(2) The woman’s flat lay ______ .
A.near the city
B.near her home
C.in the middle of the city
D.by the side of the country road
(3) The actress gave the painter two tickets, hoping ______ .
A.he would be pleased
B.he would ask less money for his work
C.he would charge more money for his work
D.he would say a good word for her musical show
(4) After the painter got the tickets from the actress, he ______ .
A.sold them for ￡3
B.went to watch the musical show
C.paid ￡3 for them
D.was very thankful to her
(5) In the story, ______ made a mistake.
A.both the actress and the painter
B.neither the actress nor the painter
1. When Ben Franklin was only a boy, he always wanted to know about things. He was always asking his father and brothers. “What?” and “How?” and “Why?”
They cou ldn’t 1 tell him what he wanted to know. When they couldn’t tell him, Ben tried to find out for 2 . Many times Ben found out things that no one 3 before. The other boys would say, “That Ben Franklin! He’s always finding out something 4 !”
Ben lived close to the water. He liked to go there to see the boats. He saw how the wind 5 them across the water.
One day Ben said to himself, “Why can’t wind help 6 float(漂浮) across the water? I’m going to 7 .” Ben got his big kite. He took hold of the kite string(线) and ran with it. The wind took the kite up into the air. Then Ben 8 into the water.
The wind blew the kite high into the air. Ben began to float across the water. Soon he was on the other side, and he had not 9 at all.
One boy shouted, “Look at Ben floating across the water! His kite takes him to the other side without any 10 !
“Yes,” said another. “He’s always finding new ways to do things.”
2. Jose is a student at a medical college. He is on the way to becoming a 1 .
Jose lives at home with his parents, a disabled (残疾的) elder sister and two younger brothers. Both his parents have full-time jobs and Jose works 2 time in a restaurant to help the family.