Unit1 Never Say Goodbye
I. Explain the italicized part in each sentence in your own words.
1. When I was ten I was suddenly confronted with the anguish of moving from the only home.
2. …they all have one thing in common: sadness.
3. …in that place in your heart where summer is an always time.
4. Don’t ever give in to the sadness and the loneliness of that word.
5. Take that special hello and lock it away within you.
II. Fill in each blank with one of the two words from each pair in their appropriate forms and note the difference of meaning between them.
1. SHUDDER SHAKE
a. Seeing the referee drawing out the yellow card, the coach began —————————his fist in rage.
b. She —————————at the touch of his leathery hand.
c. The tree branches were ————————in that sudden gust of win
d. He ————————breathlessly in the doorway until his pursuers had raced past.
a. He had hoped that divorce would be the ——————to all his problems.
b. We are still waiting for him to ———————to our requests for further assistance.
c. In ———————to his suggestions, they have decided to consult him for more details.
d. He ————————his critics by claiming that he was responding to the new needs of globalization.
3. COMMON GENERAL
a. The ————————impression we got was that they were not interested in the new project.
b. It was claimed in the newly published report that higher education, in ————————, is financially in trouble.
c. It may be said that good health is a ————————condition, and that occasional sickness is ——————.
d. AIDS is becoming the most ————————cause of death among drug addicts.
4. SMALL TINY
a. A ————————house would do perfectly for the two of them.
b. “Get back on board!”I shouted as his ————————figure struggled up the river bank.
c. Displayed at the exhibition were some ————————toy soldiers that were beautifully carve
d. The visitor was a ————————man who would give every appearance of self-importanc
III. Choose a word or phrase that best completes each of the following sentences.
1. She suffered great mental ———————after her husband died, and as a result she became mad.
2. She offered me some food that had a ————————taste.
3. Building the proposed underground railway may ————————much more than the government could pay.
4. Realizing the immense international pressure, the President ————————stepped down.
5. The audience whistled and shouted, waiting for her to sing one ————————song.
6. During the war, all the women were left unloved, exhausted, impoverished and ———————.
7. He was put into prison, but he never ———————, and continued his fight from behind the bars.