Unit 1 – Section A
●Language Focus – Words in Use
1. Given the chance to show his ability, he regained (confidence) and began to succeed in school.
2. It is so difficult to (explore) the bottom of the ocean because some parts are very deep.
3. It was about 30 seconds before Alex (emerged) from the water; we were quite scared.
4. We often (assume) that when other people do the same things as we do, they do them for the same reasons; but this assumption is not always reasonable.
5. There is widespread concern that the rising unemployment may (pose) a threat to social stability.
6. After a(n) (comprehensive) physical exam, my doctor said I was in good condition except that my blood pressure was a little high.
7. It is well known that China is a country with rich natural (resources) and a very big population.
8. Some people believe that the earth can (yield) enough food to support at least twice its present population.
9. Sam (inherited) the gift of imagination from his family, but he lacked the driving power to take action.
10. A bee that has found honey is able to (transmit) to other bees the information they need in order to collect the honey.
1. Despite being (classified) as a meat-eater, the panda has a diet that is overwhelmingly vegetarian.
2. They have developed computerized systems which will greatly (assist) all library users so that they will not need the help of others.
3. Changes have been made to the construction requirements in this city in order to make the buildings and highways more
(resistant) to earthquakes.
4. After a two-month inquiry, the police have (uncovered) the three men's intention to rob a bank and have arrested them.
5. Consumers say they are (uneasy) about using their credit cards over the Internet because they are afraid of Interent fraud.
6. A college degree and some working experience should (qualify) you for the job advertised in the newspaper.
7. The British ship arrived at the port this morning and is (unloading) its contents in the harbor now.
8. As a human resources manager, I see many job (applicants) who are technically skilled, but have bad attitudes.
9. The teacher (simplified) his instructions so that the small children could understand him better.
10. My major was literature. However, now I'm working in a firm as a(n) (accountant) , dealing with numbers every day.
11. The committee's decision will be (notified) to all employees next week.