40. We’ll never give in whatever they ______ say or do.
A) may B) will C) shall D) should
41. With all this work on hand, he ______ to the cinema last nigh t.
A) mustn’t go B) wouldn’t go C) oughtn’t go D) shouldn’t have gone
42. Everyone ______ the cake because there wasn’t even a small p iece left.
A) must like B) must have liked C) must have been liking D) had l iked
43. I wish to recollect where I met her, ______?
A) would I B) may I C) may not I D) can I
44. I ______ think he will ______ dare the risk.
A) not; × B) do; not C) ×; not D) don’t; ×
45. If reading is to accomplish anything more than passing time, it ______ be active.
A) may not B) must C) might D) is not
46. You ______ your seats today if you want to go to the game.
A) had better to reserve B) had better reserve
C) had to better reserve D) had to reserve better
47. I ______ the operation unless it is absolutely necessary.
A) would rather not have B) would not rather had
C) rather would not have D) rather not would have
48. Many scientists ______ their own eyes and ears than the theor ies of the ancients.
A) would rather to believe B) would rather believe
C) rather would believe D) will rather believe
49. To travel from England to Scotland you ______ a passport.
A) haven’t got B) mustn’t have C) needn’t D) don’t need
50. One of the statements ______ to be untrue.
A) is turned out B) has turned out C) have been turned out D) hav
e turned out
51. I don’t know whether it will rain or not, but if it ______ r ain, I shall stay at home.
A) will B) did C) does D) shall
52. You’d like some tea, ______?
A) wouldn’t you B) shouldn’t you C) hadn’t you D) didn’t you
53. “May we take the books out?” “______”
A) No, you may not B) No, you can not C) No, you can’t D) Please don’t
54. “I would have come soo ner, but I ______ that you were waitin
A) didn’t know B) hasn’t known C) hadn’t know D) haven’t know n
55. If you don’t want to, you ______ to get there with us.
A) mustn’t B) can’t C) don’t have D) have not
56. I would go to visit them but I ______ think they are anxious to see me.
A) haven’t B) don’t C) doesn’t D) didn’t
57. Whatever you can do, ______.
A) I can do so as well B) I can do this as well
C) I can do it as well D) I can do as well
58. ______ I realized the consequences I would never have contemp lated getting involved.
A) Had B) Have C) Having D) Has
59. “Perhaps she is working for John.” “Yes, she ______ for hi m.”
A) need have been working B) may be working
C) ought have been working D) ought be working
60. “I know she was in because I heard her radio, but she didn’t open the door.” “She ______ the bell.”
A) may not be hearing B) may not have heard
C) must not have heard D) must not be hearing
61. “He was smoking.” “Then he ______.”
A) ought to have been not smoking B) ought to have not been smoki ng
C) ought not to have been smoking D) ought to not have been smoki ng
62. You ______ out yesterday without a coat. No wonder you caught cold.
A) oughtn’t have gone B) shouldn’t have gone
C) mustn’t have gone D) can’t have gone
63. “Paul was riding a b ike along the motorway when he was hit b y the trailer of a lorry.”
“He _____ a bicycle along the motorway; bicycles are not allowe d.”
A) shouldn’t have been riding B) couldn’t have been riding
C) oughtn’t have been riding D) can’t have been riding
64. I am listening. But you ______.
A) need be listening B) should be listening
C) need have been listening D) ought be listening
65. He ______ with us last night.
A) would have liked to go B) should like to be going
C) should be liked to go D) would like to go
66. I ______ his face when he opened the letter.
A) should like you to see B) would have liked you to be seen
C) should like you to have seen D) would like you to see
67. You say you ______ do it, but I say you ______ do it.
A) ought not/could B) will not/shall C) could not/need D) shall n ot/ought
68. We ______ put the meeting off for a week.
A) can as well B) will as well C) shall as well D) may as well
69. ______ wind your watch every day?
A) Do you need B) Must you have to C) Have you to D) Do you have to
70. ______ give him a chance to try?
A) Oughtn’t to we B) Oughtn’t we to C) Ought to we not D) Ought n’t we
71. "Did you blame him for his mistakes?" "______."
A) I’d rather not do B) I’d not rather do C) I’d better not do
D) I’d rather not doing
72. You had better ______ your hair cut.
A) had B) have C) to get D) to have
73. My sister didn’t go to the party last night because she ____ __ the baby for her friend until 9:30.
A) must have looked after B) would have to look after
C) had to look after D) should have looked after
74. Mary is very late, she ______.
A) may miss her train B) may have missed her train
C) must miss her train D) could miss her train
75. No matter what you may say, he ______ to his own views.
A) would always stick B) will always stick
C) should always stick D) must always stick to
76. It’s wonderful that you ______ have achieved so much in thes
A) may B) can C) should D) would
77. The students asked whether he ______ take the books out of th
A) could B) might C) should D) would
78. He ______ still be thinking about the question you raised.
A) may B) might C) must D) should
79. I’d be glad if you______ give me an account of the fact.
A) shall B) should C) would D) may
80. He ______ accomplish the task in time.
A) did B) has C) is D) do
VI. Choose the correct item of each sentence.
1. Mary didn’t do her homework, so the teacher became very angry. Mary (must have done / should have done) her homework.
2. Julietta was absent for the first time yesterday. She (should have been / must have been) sick.
3. The photos are black. The X-rays at the airport (should have d amaged / must have damaged) them.
4. Blanca got a parking ticket. She (should not have parked / can not have parked) in a reserved spot, since she had no permit.
5. John isn’t here yet. He (should have forgotten / must have fo rgotten) about our meeting.
6. Alexis failed the exam. He (should not have studied / can not have studied) enough.
7. Marcela didn’t come to class yesterday. She (can have had / m ay have had) an accident.
8. Robert arrived without his book. He (could have lost / would h ave lost) it.
9. Thomas received a warning for speeding. He (should have driven / should not have driven) so fast.
10. It (must have rained / may have rained) last night, but I’m not sure.
11. John (might have gone / should have gone) to the movies yeste rday.
12. Where do you think John is today? I have no idea. He (should have slept / may have slept) late.
13. I (didn’t need to answer / needn’t have answered) the quest ions, which would have saved me a lot of time.
14. I (didn’t need to answer / needn’t have answered) the quest ions, which saved me a lot of time.
15. We (didn’t need to open / needn’t have opened) drawer, seei ng that it was already open.
16. We (didn’t need to open / needn’t have opened) the drawer, seeing that she found it empty when she did.
17. You (didn’t need to pay / needn’t have paid) him a penny; h
e gets more than enough from me.
18. I (didn’t need to pay / needn’t have paid) for it, because it was put on my fa ther’s account.
19. We (didn’t need to say / needn’t have said) anything at all, which was a great comfort.
20. You (didn’t need to say / needn’t have said) anything, then he would never have known.
21. He said that she (might miss / might have missed) the plane.
22. He came home alone. You shouldn’t have let him do that; he (m ight get / might have got) lost.
23. “I wonder how Tom knew about Ann’s engagement.” “He (migh t hear / might have heard) it from Jack.”
24. He said he (might hire / might have hired) a car.
25. I knew we (might have / might have had) to wait at the fronti er.
26. The handwriting (might be / might have been) his, but the sig nature certainly was not.
27. He assured me I (might come / might have come) back whenever
28. He was afraid that his attitude (might be misunderstood / mig ht have been misunderstood).
29. It (must be raining / must have rained) because the grass is wet.
30. It (must rain / must have rained) last night because the gras s is wet.
I. Fill in the blanks.
1. Don’t take his remarks too seriously. He’s so upset that I _ ____ (not think) he reaaly _____ (know) what he _____ (say).
2. I’m tired of working in an office. I _____ (think) of changin
g my job.
3. He _____ (meet) her in Paris in 1977. He _____ (lst see) her t en years before.
4. Dick is a fool. He _____ (drink) a lot at a party yesterday an
d then _____ (drive) home. Of cours
e the police _____ (get) him and _ ____ (give) him a breathalyzer test. It’s the second time he _____ (b reathalyse). They _____ (probably ban) him from driving for two year s.
5. I _____ (go) to Portugal five years ago. In fact it _____ (be) the first time I _____ (be) on a package tour, and I _____ (like) it so much.
6. The weather forecast yesterday said that many areas _____ (hav
e) rain, but we certainly didn’t have any here.
7. We knew that Friday’s meeting _____ (be) a long one, as we __ ___ (discuss) the budget.
8. As it _____ (rain), the children _____ (play) in the sitting r oom. Tom was there too. He _____ (try) to write a letter but he _____ (not get on) very well because the children _____ (keep) asking me q uestions.
9. The employer _____ (start) negotiations as soon as the men ___ __ (return) to work.
10. It _____ (be) so hot. I feel as if my body _____ (be) on fire.
I would rather there _____ (be) only one season---Spring.
II. Choose the best answer.
1. “I don’t like to travel.” “Have you ever ______ in an airp lane?”
A) flying B) flew C) flowed D) flown
2. The center of gravity of the human body ______ behind his join t.
A) located B) locating C) to locate D) is located
3. “Today is very cold, isn’t it?” “Yes, the river is ______ over.”
A) freezed B) freeze C) frozen D) freezing
4. “What happened in that new area?” “New houses ______ recent ly over there.”
A) are built B) build C) have built D) have been built
5. “When did you go to work?”“As soon as they came, we ______ to work.”
A) went B) were going C) had gone D) go
6. “Did you wait for him very long?” “Yes, I ______ to bed unt il five in the morning.”
A) did go B) didn’t go C) had gone D) went
7. Perhaps it will be a long time ______ from abroad.
A) when Tom comes back B) when Tom will come back
C) before Tom comes back D) that Tom comes back
8. Tom ______ mathematics throughout his college life.
A) bored B) bored with C) was bored D) was bored with
9. ______ that dress when I first saw you at the station?
A) Were you wearing B) Have you worn C) Did you wear D) do you we ar
10. Mr. Wu ______ to work by bus every day.
A) has been traveling B) has traveled C) travels D) is traveling
11. Don’t disturb him. He ______ to the weather forecast.
A) listens B) is being listened C) has listened D) is listening
12. My English teacher ______ my test.
A) has not yet graded B) has not yet been graded
C) is not yet to be graded D) is not yet graded
13. We ______ on it for many hours, but we have not yet reached a ny conclusion.
A) are being worked B) are working C) have been working D) have b een worked
14. Shanghai ______ on the Huangpu River.
A) stand B) stands C) is being stand D) has stood
15. Tell the students to stop shouting. We ______ our essays now.
A) write B) have been writing C) are writing D) have written
16. ______ your best? It’s not satisfactory. I’m afraid you wil l have to do it again.
A) Do you try B) Have you tried C) Are you trying D) Have you bee n trying
17. Chinese married couple ______ red packets to children and the unmarried during the Chinese New Year.
A) give B) have been giving C) are giving D) have given
18. My uncle, Sam, ______ manager of the firm.
A) has just made B) is just being made C) has just been made D) i s just made
19. This is the first time the students ______ to Hyde Park.
A) have gone B) have been gone C) have been going D) are being go ne
20. She ______ her mother’s work since she was admitted into hos pital.
A) is doing B) has been doing C) has done D) has been done
21. I ______ the incident as if it were yesterday.
A) am still to remember B) have still been remembering
C) am being still remembered D) still remember
22. I ______ swimming in the river and I always _____ to swim whe n I can.
A) am liking; have gone B) am being liked; am going
C) like; go D) have liked; have been going
23. We have sometimes accidents on this line, but no accidents __ ____ since last winter.
A) occur B) have occurred C) have been occurring D) are occurring
24. He ______ on this essay for twenty minutes but he ______ only
a hundred words.
A) has been working; has written B) is working; writes
C) has worked; has been writing D) works; is writing
25. Elections ______ every four years and Congress meets once a y ear.
A) are taken place B) are to be taken place C) took place D) take place
26. ______ careless, or you will make mistakes.
A) Be not B) Not be C) Don’t D) Don’t be
27. The No.8 bus ______ to Chengdu college of Geology, and not to Sichuan University.
A) are gone B) is being gone C) goes D) are going
28. Oil, exported from Iran to Europe, ______ by tankers.
A) used to be transported B) used to being transported
C) was used to be transported D) was used to being transported
29. If it ______, the match will be postponed.
A) has been rained B) does rain C) rains D) is rained
30. As soon as I ______ the tools, I shall begin with the work.
A) have B) am having C) have been having D) have been had
31. Once you ______ the knack of it, you will have no further dif ficulty.
A) shall have B) had had C) are having D) have
32. Every time he ______ me, he is rude to me.
A) will see B) sees C) is seeing D) is seen
33. John told Mary that he ______ what he was doing during the va cation.
A) was just asked B) was just asking C) had just been asked D) ha
d just asked
34. Now that you ______, what are you going to do?