Part 1. V ocabulary and Structure (35%)
Section A (20%)
Directions: In this part there are 20 incomplete sentences. For each sentence there are four choices marked A, B, C and D. Choose the ONE answer that best completes the sentence.
1. I must congratulate you _____ the excellent design of the new bridge.
2. The doctors don‟t ______ that he will live much longer.
3. The local government leaders are making every effort to _______ the problem poverty.
4. An invention is usually the end result of a long _________ of ideas, experiments, and
5. The two things are the same in outward form but different ______.
A. in general
B. in addition
C. in essence
D. in common
6. They used to quarrel a lot, but now they are completely _______ with each other.
7. There is no ______ evidence that people can control their dreams, at least in experimental
situations in a lab.
8. In your first days at the school you‟ll be given a test to help the teachers to ______ you to a
class at your level.
9. The lecture which lasted about three hours was so ____ that the audience couldn‟t help
10. Although many young people are eager to go abroad, he prefers ________ in his own country.
A. stay and work
B. stayed and worked
C. to stay and work
D. to be stayed and worked
11. In order to strengthen his muscles, Mike goes to the gym ________ to do exercises.