1.He got thoroughly wet and he caught a bad cold.
A. in consequence
B. in nature
C. in general
D. in sequence
2. Our former English teacher retired Mrs. Wang _______him.
A. in place
B. in place of
D. replaced by
3. The spread lf disease among the refugees at last local people from their indifference towards these unhappy people.
4. He was very distressed for his proposal was by the boss.
5. You have been late for class the third time this week. How could you _____ this?
A. save for B .go with C. account for D. go for
6. The purple curtain really doesn’t the green sofa.
A. go into
B. go with
C. go around
D. go up
7. The raincoat can you being thoroughly wet.
8. I really appreciate me when I’m in difficulty.
A. you to help
B. that your help
C. your helping
D. your to help
9 must deal with the situation at once before it gets ______
A. in hand B .out of hand C. off hand D .at hand
10 ______his sister, Jack is quiet and does not easily make friends with others.
A. Dislike B .Unlike C .Alike D .Liking
11 I don’t like the location of the house,________ the price is too high.
A. in addition to
B. however C .moreover D. whereas
12 We managed to ________this annoying situation.
A. go with B .work out C. conduct out D. cope with
13 The new immigrants will take a long time to the life there.
A. adjust to B .familiar to C .get used in D. come to
14 You should try to him from making stupid decisions.
C .prevent D. recover
15 She her original belief in order to marry a Muslin.
B. appreciated C .acquired D. rejected
Unit 1 1-5 ACCBC 6-10 BBCBB 11-15 CDACD
1.His major is biochemistry, but he is keen on computer. He is a(n) ______ in computer.
2.You had better go home now since it is ______11p.m.
3. My mother always ______on my sister’s fashionable dresses.
4. I want to express my ______to you for your timely when I was ill.
5. I was so indulged in the excellent violin performance that I forgot the ______.
6. If you ______ working hard, you will get promotion an extra bonus.
A. insist in
B. persist in
C. assist in
D. consist in
7. She made a big ______when a naughty boy sneaked into her garden and stole one of the roses.
8. There has been a gradual ______ of workers away from manufacturing towards the service industries.
9. If you make your ______felt, you do something which forces people to pay attention to you.
10. The ______ of the right to freedom is very important to all people.
11. The judge, a man of ______, has a very good reputation in this area.
12. They are trying to ______ the situation to their advantages.
13. He was punished for ______ the law.
14. The young man ______his own life to safe a child from the river.
15. The police is inquiring the man in black, who is under ______of having taken money from the company’s safe.
Unit 2 1-5 CDCAD 6-10 BCBCB 11-15 ADDCC
1.Some fish have a greater _________ for acid water than others.
2.When two people feel the same about each other, their feelings are _________.
3.The selector was accused of showing _________ in failing to include Jane in the team.
A .favor B. interest C. prejudice D. unfair
4.A good dictionary can tell the _________ distinctions between meanings of synonyms.
5.You’d better seek an architect’s _________before building the house.
6.The _________ chapter, which follows this one, is the last chapter in this book.
7.The work was almost complete when we received orders to _________ no further with it.
8.I don’t know whether the story is true or not, but I’ll try to _________ it.
9.The bank manager asked his assistant if it was possible for him to _________ the investment plan within a week.
A. put out
B. set out
C. make out
D. work out
10.The shop manager always stressed to his employees,”We can never be _________ polite to our customers.”
11.Police still have no _________ as to the identity of the killer.
12.The ringing bells _________ the news of the birth of the prince.
13.What _________ do you need for this cake besides flour and sugar?
14.The singer gave a (n) _________ performance and won a loud applause from his audience.
15._________my government I have the honor to make to you the following communications.
A. In place of
B. In terms of
C. On account of
D. On behalf of
Unit 3 1-5 ADCBD 6-10 DBCDB 11-15 CBBAD
1. I was ________surprised at hearing that he wasn't admitted to the university
D. anyway 2.Nothing can ____the young mother for the loss of her beloved son. .
. A. compile B. compensate C. complain D. complete
3. Confined to bed, the disabled man is as __as a baby.
4.It was time to ___economic constraints.
5.Her reply showed that she was very ____to criticism.
6.The hope, goals, fears and desires _______widely between men and women, between the rich and the poor.
7. The southerners are quite ________the cold weather here now.
A. hardened to
B. similar to
C. reliable to
D. adept at
8. The boss is ______on us to meet the deadline.
9. Most _______goods in the supermarket have bar codes and you just scan them on the scanning machine when you check out.
10. He was in such a hurry that he _______some bread and milk and went to work.
11.Fortunately there was someone ，so we asked him to deliver the message at once.
A．at daybreak B. at present C. at hand D. at random
12.A survey was carried out on the death rate of new-born babies in the region，were surprising.
A. as result
B. the result of it
C. with result
D. the result of which
13. The side-effect of the drug is________ within a short period of time.
A．available B. unnoticeable C. indispensable D. incredible
14.without proper lessons，you could a lot of bad habits when playing the piano
A．pick up B. keep up C. draw up D. catch up
15. she loves her family，but they are a（n）_____on her career
Unit 5 1-5 CBDDB 6-10 CAACD 11-15CDBAD
1We need a chairman in whom everyone has _____.
2The manager spoke highly of such ____ as loyalty, courage and trustfulness shown by his employees.
3 The man in the corner confessed to ____ a lie to the manager of the company.
A have told
B be told
C being told
D having told
4 I was agree with what you say to some ____
5 My plan met with his _____.
6 In Britain, the best season of the year is probably _____ spring.
7 This popular sports car is now being _____ at the rate of a thousand a week
A turned down
B turned out
C turned up
D turned on
8 Although he had looked through all the reference material on the subject, he still found it hard to understand this point and her explanation only ____to his confusion.
9 There is no _____ for good food and exercise
10 He was ___ the prize for being the fastest runner
11 She ______ deceived me to stay such a thing
12 The little child _____ something in his pocket
13 We do business with them on a large____
14 Parrots often ____ human speech
15 _____ the cost, the dress doesn’t suit me.
A But for
B Except for
D Apart from
Unit 6 1-5 BADCA 6-10-DBCCD 11-15ADCAD
1.Everyone should be ____ to a decent standard of living and an opportunity to be educated.
2.After several failures, the man realized his ____was impractical at last.
. A. ambition B. illusion C. perception D. tension
3.He refused to stay abroad and enjoy the comfortable life there out of his great _____to his own
4.The government _____the development of the basic industries.
A. gives priority to
B. takes priority to
C. puts priority
D. lay priority to
5.Do children _____to kind treatment by becoming more self-confident?
6.He took more than half of the ballots and ______his two main rivals.
7.The plane got ____and crashed into the sea.
A. Out of control
B. under control
C. in control
D. in the control
8.According to the survey, one in five women lacks iron in that most of them go on a diet to get rid
of their ____weight.
9.The doctor recommended that patient _____ smoking.
A. cut down
B. cut off
C. must cut down
D. must cut off
10.Young adults ____older people are more likely to prefer pop songs.
A. other than
B. more than
C. less than
D. rather than
11.First published in 1927,the charts remain an ____source for researchers.
12.Mr.Lin is the chief ____of china to the united nations.
13.His new book caused a _____in the whole country.
14.We have to admit there are always some parts of your life ___which you can have little or no
15.The new job___ traveling abroad to different countries several times each year..
A .involved B. included C. consisted D. concluded
Unit 7 1-5 DACAD 6-10DABAD 11-15DCBCA
1.The vast majority of people in any given culture will ------to the established standards of that
A .confine B. conform C .confront D .confirm
2. Under no excuse ________to be late for class.
A .you are allowed B. you allow
C .do you allowed D. are allowed
3. _____in time, he would not have been punished.
A .if he only arrived B. if only he arrived
C .if only he had arrived
D .if only he would arrived
4. I didn’t _____ to take a taxi but I had to as I was late.
A. assume B .suppose C .mean D. hope
5. A healthy life is frequently thought to be _____with the open countryside and hometown food.
A .tied B. bound C. involved D. associated
6. There has been an encouraging response to the appeal for ____to the famine relief fund.
C. proportion D .institution
7. He was ____ only by his to help me, and expected nothing in return.
B .confined C. recommended D .motivated
8. The ____ of the library, around which student life revolves, is one of most important problem to be solved.
9. My new house is very ____ for me as I can get to office in five minutes.
10. The weatherman broadcasts the ____ in temperature twice a day.
A .diversion B. variation C .variety D .modification
11. To prove their theories, scientists must ____an adequate amount of date as evidence.
A .accomplish B. accumulate C .accelerate D .accommodate
12. One of the government’s main ____within this year is to reduce unemployment rate by 10 percent.
B. subjects C .objectives D. objections
13. It is just one more ____result of the development of microprocessors----those tiny parts of a computer commonly known as “silicon chips”.
A. incredible B .preferable C .incredulous D. plausible
14. He misled management by giving it the idea that the older and more experienced men were not an ____but a liability.
A. advantage B .asset C .assistance D .award
15. The number of representatives each state is en titled to its ____to the size of its population.
A .proportion B. periodical C. principal D. dominant
Unit 8 1-5 BDCCD 6-10ADDCB 11-15BCABA
2. It is a matter of ______ that male businesspeople usually wear suits on formal occasions
3. These people are very ______, organized and excellent time managers.
4. Julian says he hopes to get a job and find a way to ______ a college education.
5. Having studied business at college and knowing two foreign languages, my secretary is perfectly ______ for her job.
6. The leading economists of the country have been ______ the influence of the current crisis upon its economy.
7. The general public did not have confidence that the government would be able to ______ this difficult job
8. The company is ______ a survey to find out local reaction to their recently promoted product.
9. The rain was heavy and ______ the land was flooded.
10. The discovery of the oilfield is of great _____ to the economy in this region.
2. The mother couldn't help laughing at her little boy's ______ appearance.
3. The tall man ______ his head so that he could enter the room.
4. Though the plan didn't work well, he ______ in following it.
5. Should it be a failure, as many experts predict, it would ______ as one of the worst man-made disasters.
6. Don't ______ at others in any situation on matter how angry you are.
7. It is really ______ that she didn't get promoted just because of her skin color!
8. She was very glad to see the ______ of many old friends at her birthday party.
9. Why are you ______ all the time? Try to look happy!
10. I cannot tell the exact number; ______ 100 students will be presented with medals as recognition of their excellence.
2. People have bought these under the ___________ that their value would just keep on rising.
3. The project has been ____________ by the local government for lack of public resources.
4. The clerk must have _____________ your name, because he said you weren’t here.
5. The speaker said something about the actors and then ___________ to talk about the film.
6. Differences of opinion are often the most difficult problem to _____________.
7. When he should looked for a job, John strongly felt that there was a widespread __________against men over forty.
8. Children should be encouraged to reach a (n) ____________ between what they want and what others want.
9. The discovery seems to _____________that people lived here over 10,000 years ago.
10. The book was first published in 1994 and was ______________ translated into fifteen languages.
1. After a while as an ambulance driver, you get ________to what you see at accidents.
2. My sole object was to get ________ from the snow, to get myself covered and warm.
3. If we take all the factors into account, his chances of winning the election were ________
4. It will only ________ his position if he continues to stick to his strange ideas.
5. ________thousands of people watched the football game.
6. The most ______ change was in my younger brother, who had grown quite a bit and was now a third-grader.
7. I am supposed to be resting and relaxing, but it is just a whole ______ of different things that have happened.
8. Day and night Martin could not _____ his mind from the failure he had suffered.
9. I would be ______ if you would mail this package for me.
10.The young man was _______ on heroin(海洛因)and lost his job and his wife.
2.It is a very popular play, and it would be wise to ________seats in advance.
3.He was an enthusiastic amateur write for many years before he turned____.
4.The acto r’s performance in Hamlet has been _______.
5.Where unemployment and crime rates are high, it can be assumed that the __________is due to
6. A good photograph can often _____________far more than words.
7.Although you have graduate from university, a bachelor’s degree in English does not
______________you to teach English.
8.The young girl is _________in her manners and she always eats cakes with a little fork.
9.I have a packed timetable this week. Could you ________for me at the meeting at the head office?
10.The new project is expected to start early next year , it has won the _____of the board.
2.You seem awfully______-why don’t you have a drink and try to relax?
3.The doctor_____ that he should stay a few more days in the hospital.
4.The crisis had a(n)_____effect on the economy.
5.The program can only be successful if the students_____ training as important.
6.The______ was to be laid mainly on the traffic in inner city areas.
7.Looking at the old photos of his mother ____feelings within him that had been quiet for many
8.This is an important matter, so we must give it ____over all other business.
9.She____ her broken marriage to her husband’s short temper.
10.The activities are designed to____ classroom discussions.
in the neighborhood.
2.He was awarded the Nobel peace prize for his ______ to world peace.
3.Internet games have proved very _________ with young people.
4.Peking University and Tsinghai University are two most important educational_____ in china.
5.Bill______ in a four-year teacher training program.
6.With foreigners and tourists coming from all over the world, New York is one of the most
culturally________ cities in the world.
7.By the late 1950s, scientists had already ________ enough information to show a clear link
between smoking and caner.
8. a tiny baby soon learns to ________its mother’s face from other adults’ face.
9.How _______! The male student who seldom attends class has the highest mark this time.
10.It is very important to ______ your speech to the subject.