Unit 1 Human Reflections
Before Reading Activities
1. Fill in the blanks with the words you hear.
(1) crush; (2) lifetime; (3) deceive; (4) smile; (5) right; (6) grateful; (7) arrives;
(8) assurance; (9) return; (10) content
Ⅱ. Language Focus
9. imperfection; 10. erupt
9. D 10. B
(1) bored; (2) affiliate; (3) conducted; (4) valid; (5) ranging
(6) fulfilling; (7) revealed; (8) tended; (9) Pressure; (10) tough
1. For some, marriage is the grave of love, while for others, marriage is an effective salvation for those who lead a solitary life.
2. Blessed with a great historical responsibility, the Conference is destined to have far-reaching impact on the development of the organization.
3. All of these show people’s yearning for a bet ter life, so they have been carried forward generation after generation.
4. If Congress approved the bill now, the president warned, the fragile peace process that he is trying to keep could fall apart.
5. The couple must be tolerant of the little imperfec tions in each other’s character, otherwise their marriage may end up in divorce.
1. James repeatedly failed the math quizzes, so he decided to drop the course.
2. After we turned all the lights off, we locked the office door. / Before we locked the office door, we turned all the lights off.
3. The concept that disposable plastic bags cause great environmental problems is taking root