1. You had better keep the medicine _______ is inaccessible to children.
A) that B) where C) where it D) in which
2. I’m sorry I have made so many mistakes. I wish I ________.
A) didn’t B) hadn’t C) wouldn’t D) won’t
3. Obviously they didn’t see the significance of the plan. That’s ________ the problem was.
A) where B) why C) / D) how
4. If he catches you ________ his letter, he will be furious.
A) to read B) read C) reading ) to be reading
5. It was ________ he arrived home ________ he realized that he had left his keys in the office.
A) until … that B) not until … had C) until … had D) not until … that
6. They fulfilled the task in ________ it took us.
A) two-thirds time B) two-thirds times C) two-thirds the time D) the two-thirds time
7. He told me that it was in the museum ________ he had visited twice ________ he learned a lot.
A) where … that B that … where C) where … where D) that … that
8. Did you say that there was no exception ________ this rule?
A) of B) to C) from D) with
9. With hid child _______ to the care of his parents, he went abroad.
A) left B) leaving C) to be left D) to leave
10. He insisted on his name ________ in full.
A) write B) was written C) be written D) being written
11. _______ that happen, what ________ we do?
A) If … shall B) Suppose … shall C) Should … would D) Had … should
12. With a little more patience, you ________ the job better.
A) could do B) would do C) could have done D) must have done
13. All I can do now is nothing ________.
A) but waiting B) but wait C) except waiting D) only to wait
14. The living conditions there were hard; they had so much ________.
A) to put up B) for putting up C) for putting up with D) to put up with
15. The thief broke into the museum, _______ on the spot by the policemen.
A) caught B) to be caught C) only to be caught D) being caught
16. The new term will begin on September 1, ________ is reported in today’s newspaper.
A) as B) that C) what D) and
17. This ________ your first composition, I’ll ask you to write a short one.
A) is B) will be C) was D) being
18. You’ve made some progress in your study. But it still remains ________.
A) improving B) improvement C) to improve D) to be improved
19. ________ more experience, he would have done it better.
A) Given B) Giving C) To give D) Gave
20. He worked hard on the construction site with a view ________ some experience.
A) to gain B) to gaining C) for gaining D) to be gaining
21. The farmers had the tractors ________ 24 hours during the harvest season.
A) working B) work C) worked D) to work
22. ________ that you have no objection, we will have the meeting in your room.
A) If B) To be provided C) Provided D) Except
23. I ________ to meet you here.
A) didn’t expect B) hadn’t expected C) don’t expect D) will not expect
24. You ________ for another two years before you graduate from this university.
A) will be studying B) study C) will have studied D) will study
25. The meeting ________ because of his absence.
A) called off B) calls off C) was called off D) has called off
26. The higher the standard of living, the ________.
A) greater is the amount of goods consumed
B) greater amount of goods consumed
C) amount of goods is used greater
D) greater the amount of goods consumed
27. It’s essential that a photographer ________ first to use the equipment.
A) must learn B) learn C) has to learn D) would learn
28. We are given the orders that the project ________ before the end of next month.
A) has to be drawn up B) to drawn up C) shall be drawn up D) will be drawn up
29. He is working very hard for fear that he ________ behind.
A) should lag B) lags C)can lag D) could lag
30. Birds of a feather ________ together.
A) flock B) flocks C) will flock D) flocked
31. He moved at the meeting that more thoughts ________ to the reconstruction of this area.
A) will be given B) are to given C) would be given D) should be given
32. I have never read ________ than this.
A) more interesting a book B) a book as interesting
C) a more interesting book D) more interesting book
33. So ________ that nobody noticed it.
A) the noise was faint B) faint the noise was
C) faintly the noise was D) faint was the noise
34. Many a time ________ to Hangzhou, which is famous for its scenery.
A) have we been B) we have been C) did we go D) we went
35. Not only you but also he ________.
A) are to blame B) is to blame C) are to be blamed D) is to be blamed
36. “Mother, you promised to buy a bike for my birthday.”
A) so did I B) so I did C) so do I D) so I do
37. ________ against the idea was Lily.
A) Among chief of those B) Among those chief
C) Chief among those D) Among chief those
38. Since the buses are so crowded, we ________ go home on foot.
A) should B) might as well C) had better to D) need to
39. As far as I can see, he seems ________ some progress.
A) having made B) to make C) making D) to have made
40. The book is supposed ________ by an author of the 18th century.
A) to be written B) to write C) to have been written D) to be writing
41. He has visited many countries in the world: America, Britain, Italy ________.
A) France, etc. B) and France and etc. C) and France, etc. D) France and etc.
43. We were told that two hours ________ the limit of time for the test.
A) is B) are C) was D) were
44. So far a three-fourths majority in our neighbourhood ________ to help.
A) have volunteered B) has volunteered
C) has been volunteered D) have been volunteered
45. We tried to advise him not to do ________, but he wouldn’t hear of it.
A) the impossible things B) the things impossible
C) the impossible D) nothing impossible
46. He wonders why he should always obey her if he has sufficient reason not ________.
A) to do B) doing C) doing it D) to
47. Children live, ________, in a different world from adults.
A) to speak so B) so to speak C) to speak nothing D) to speak of
48. Here is the dessert. ________?
A) Do you like some B) Would you like some
C) Do you like that D) Would you like that
49. Although your computer is most up-to-date, I’d like to use ________.
A. my own B) my own one C) my one D) old one
50. He knows _______ than I do about it.
A) not more B) much C no more D) not less
51. “May I help you with your washing?”
“Yes, it will be nice if you ________.”
A) help B) wash C) do D) would do
52. You must have visited him last week, ________?
A) mustn’t you B) didn’t you C) did you D) do you
53. Do you know ________ invented paper-making in China?
A) who was it that B) whom was it that C) who it was that D) whom it was that
54. You have to eat up ________ in your plate.
A) what left B) that left C) that is left D) what is left
55. ________ and I’ll keep you out of the classroom.
A) Play truant again B) If you play truant again
C) To play truant again D) Don’t play truant
56. ______ there, he found a great deal to interest him.
A) This being his first visit B) Never having visited
C) This being his first time to visit D) having never been before
57. He did not repay me five hundred dollars; ________ he wished to borrow another five hundred dollars.
A) in fact B) indeed C) therefore D) instead
58. He ate greedily and in a moment there was ________ to nothing left on the table.
A) near B) almost C) nearly D) next
59. I have decided to visit Beijing; ________, my wife doesn’t allow me to leave the family.
A) moreover B) however C) therefore D) thus
60. ________ comes first will be first served.
A) No matter who B) Who C) Whoever D) Those who
61. Tradition ________ salt was placed in front of the king on the table of royalty.
A) said that B) says that C) was D) had it that
62. He will be back in another five days ________ I know.
A) though B) since C) as long as D) as far as
63. The old man said, “________, they cannot grow any higher.”
A) Highly as these mountains are B) High as are these mountains
C) High as these mountains are D) Though high are the mountains
64. This is the young man from our group, ________ to help you with your experiments.
A) whose job B) whose job it is C) it is whose job D) whose is the job
65. What ________ are you planning to buy?
A) make of the air-conditioner B) make of air-conditioner
C) make of an air-conditioner D) made of air-conditioner
66. ________ thoughts are ________ best.
A) Second … / B) The second … / C) Second the … D) The second … the
67. ________ done before we could do anything.
A) Damage has been B) Damages have been
C) Damages had been D) Damage had been
68. Shanghai is ________ of China.
A) New York B) a New York C) the New York D) New York City
69. He bought four ________ of wine.
A) dozen bottles B) dozen bottle C) dozens bottles D) dozen of bottles
70. ________ a type of infectious disease, which takes a long time to get over.
A) The mumps is B) Mumps are C) Mumps is D) The mumps are
71. ________ health is better than ________ wealth.
A) The … the B) The …/ C) / … / D) / … the
72. ________ students in the school have entered for the competition.
A) A good number B) A great many C) A great deal of D) A good many
73. Stella is ________ s tudent of Mr. Jone’s.
A) a B) the C) one D. /
74. She is of ________.
A) the age as old as my mother B) the same age as my mother’s
C) the same old as my mother D) the same age as my mother
75. Do you think ________ I should enter for the competition?
A) whether B) if C) how D) that
76. When you ________ the newspapers, come back home at once.
A) sell B) have sold C) sold D) will sell
77. ________ a conscientious student, he never comes to class without preparing his lessons well.
A) To be B) To have been C) Being D) In order to be
78. I gave her ________ check.
A) fifty-dollar B) a fifty-dollar C) fifty-dollars D) a fifty dollars
79. ________ his advanced age, the old man goes for a walk every day.
A) Nevertheless B) However C) Notwithstanding D) Despite of
80. There is nothing I dislike ________ students who are lazy.
A) than B) more than C) more D) as
9. A 10. D
11. C 12. C 13. B 14. D 15. C 16. A 17. D 18. D 19. A 20. B 21. A 22. C 23. A 24. A 25. C 26. D 27. B 28. B 29. A 30. A 31. D 32. C 33. D 34. A 35. B 36. B 37. C 38. B 39. D 40. C 41. A 42. C 43. D 44. B 45. C 46. D 47. B 48. B 49. A 50. C 51. C 52. B 53. C 54. D 55. A 56. A 57. D 58. D 59. B 60. C 61. D 62. D 63. C 64. B 65. B 66. A 67. D 68. C 69. A 70. C 71. C 72. B 73. A 74. D 75. D 76. B 77. C 78. B 79. C 80. B V ocabulary
9. C 10. B
11. D 12. B 13. D 14. B 15. C 16. A 17. B 18. C 19. C 20. C 21. C 22. D 23. D 24. B 25. B 26. A 27. A 28. B 29. D 30. B 31. C 32. C 33. D 34. B 35. C 36. A 37. A 38. B 39. A 40. D 41. A 42. B 43. B 44. D 45. B 46. B 47. A 48. C 49. A 50. B 51. C 52. B 53. A 54. B 55. C 56. B 57. D 58. A 59. A 60. B 61. B 62. D 63. A 64. A 65. A 66. B 67. B 68. A 69. C 70. B 71. B 72. D 73. C 74. A 75. B 76. C 77. B 78. A 79. C 80. C Section B
9. pursuit 10. intelligence
11. electrical 12. ignorance 13. historical 14. uninformed 15. foreseen 16. revolutionized 17. additional 18. used 19. undoubtedly 20. Misfortunes 21. efficiency 22. childishly 23. dishonest 24. unemotional 25. distracts 26. consultation 27. sincerity 28. repetition 29. priority 30. charitable 31. resentment 32. ridiculously 33. suspicious 34. allowances 35. pressure 36. disintegrated 37. invisible 38. unwritten 39. periodic 40. climatic