Everybody Should Say Thank You to Ray Tomlinson
Why should you thank Ray Tomlinson? You might have never heard of his name before, but do you know that the email you use every day was his “child”?
Ray Tomlinson is known as “the father of email”. He was born in New York in 1941. He attended college at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, where he took part in a program with IBM and in 1963 he received a Bachelor of Science in electrical engineering.
In 1971, Ray created the first email system, which allowed people to send message electronically from the same computer. But he thought that there might also be a way to send messages from different computers, which lead to the birth of email we know now. He chose the @ sign to separate(区别于) local from global(全球的) emails in the mailing address. “I used the ‘@ ’sign to show that the user was ‘at’ some other hosts(电脑主机) rather than being local,” said Ray in an interview. Person to person network email was born and user@ host became the standard for email addresses, as it remains today.
Ray Tomlinson died at the age of 74. Thank Ray Tomlinson for inventing the email and making the @SIGN WELL-KNOWN. Though he may not be as famous as Mark Zuckerberg or Bill Gates, Ray Tomlinson surely has his place among the geniuses(天才) that gave us the convenience in our life.
51. Ray Tomlinson is German and known as “the father of email”.
52. We still see user@ host as the standard for email address now.
53. Ray Tomlinson created the first email system before he received a Bachelor of Science in electrical engineering.
54. Ray Tomlinson may not be as famous as Bill Gates, but he surely has his place among geniuses.
51. F 由He was born in New York in 1941可知，Ray Tomlinson出生于美国。故填F。
52. T 由user@ host became the standard for email addresses, as it remains today可知，user@ host一直沿用至今，故填T。
53. F 由in 1963 he received a Bachelor of Science in electrical engineering和In 1971, Ray created the first email system可知该表述错误，故填F。
54. T 由Though he may not be as famous as Mark Zuckerberg or Bill Gates, Ray Tomlinson surely has his place among the geniuses可知该句与原文相符，故填T。
55. T Ray Tomlinson发明的电子邮件为我们的生活带来了便利，符合原文内容，故填T。
Sometimes people cry when they are sad. Other times people cry tears of joy. But your
eyes make tears all the time, whether you are crying or not. Do you know the tears help
keep your eyes healthy? They keep your eyes from drying out. A special area of the eye
drips (滴) all the time. It keeps the eye humid.
If you look in a mirror, you can see tiny holes in the corners of your eyes. Each hole
leads to a small tube that runs to your nose. Tears run slowly into this tube drip by drip. Day and night the holes drain (流走) the tears away. If they didn’t, you would always look as if you were crying.
If you begin to cry, there are many more tears. The holes can’t drain al l of them. Then extra tears run out onto your face.