1. I shall have companion in the house after all these ________ years.
A) single B) sole C) alone D) lonely
2. The newest satellite can ________ a thousand telephone conversations and a colour TV program at the same time.
A) carry B) extend C) bring D) take
3. The bridge was named ________ the hero who gave his life for the cause of the people.
A) after B) with C) by D) from
4. If these shoes are too big, ask the clerk to bring you a smaller ________.
A) suit B) pair C) one D) set
5. I am sorry I ________ your glasses off the desk when I was wiping it.
A) drew B) hit C) struck D) knocked
6. It is not difficult to ________ the idea that machines may communicate information to us.
A) admit B) receive C) accept D) convince
7. As the shortage of certain metals approaches, others must be found to take their ________.
A) share B) place C) role D) shape
8. Although the weather was very had, the buses still ran on ________.
A) list B) plan C) schedule D) arrangement
9. Language can be defined as a tool by which human beings ________ with one another.
A) associate B) connect
C) correspond D) communicate
10. If you do not fasten your safety belt, your chances of being ________ will be greater.
A) beaten B) hurt C) damaged D) stricken
11. I found my daughter sitting in the kitchen, crying ________.
A) strongly B) bitterly C) heavily D) deeply
12. What ________ to him is whether the job allows him to pursue his studies.
A) matters B) refers C) happens D) applies
13. Cambridge has announced plans to establish a business school ________ the master’s degree in business administration.
A) representing B) presenting C) offering D) supplying
14. It is ________ impossible to find a good educational computer program in this part of the country.
A) barely B) hardly C) merely D) nearly
15. What he told us about the affair simply doesn’t make any ________.
A) sense B) idea C) meaning D) significance
16. Hitler set out to conquer all of Europe in the belief that the Germans were the master
A) race B) human C) blood D) brains
17. Franklin’s ability to learn from observations and experience ________ greatly to his success in public life.
A) contributed B) owed C) attached D) related
18. I cannot give you ________ for the type of car you sell because there is no demand for it in the market.
A) an expense B) a charge C) a purchase D) an order
19. In the experiment we kept a watchful eye ________ the developments and recorded every detail.
A) in B) at C) for D) on
20. Before he left for his vacation he went to the bank to ________ some money.
A) pull B) draw C) gain D) pick
21. Though the long-term ________ cannot be predicted, the project has been approved by the committee.
A) effect B) effort C) affect D) afford
22. I used to smoke ________ but I gave it up three years ago.