US Overall View of America
I Fill in the blanks.
1.Since the time of independence of the United States, 48 continental
states were added.
2.Two states are separated from the continental US, that is Hawaii in the Pacific
Ocean and Alaska to the northwest of Canada.
3.In the US, there are 4 time zones form the east to west.
4. “WASP” stands for White Anglo-Saxon Protestant
5. Among the Great Lakes, Lake Michigan is the only one entirely in the United
6. Washington, D.C is named after George Washington and Christopher Columbus.
7. The country is situated mostly in central North America , with
Canada_ to the north and Mexico to the south, the Pacific Ocean to the west and Atlantic Ocean to the east.
8. The federal district of USA is Washington, D.C. and the largest city is New
9. Appalachian Mountains are in the eastern part and the Rocky Mountains are in
the western part.
II Choose the most appropriate answer to each question or statement.
1.How many continental states were there at the time of independence of the US?
2.Which of the following was the last continental state added to the Union?
3.Which of the following description of uniformity of American culture is not true?
A.People in general share the same ideas, ideals and objectives
B.There is no real regional or class variety in speech of usage of English.
C.There is not much really distinctive regional architecture or cookery.
D.Generally speaking people have the same ethnic background.
4. Which states are geographically separated from the American continent?
A Hawaii and Alaska.
B Hawaii and Arizona
C Arizona and Alaska
D Alaska and New York
5. The biggest city in the US is ______ .
A. Los Angels
B. New York
D. San Francisco
6. Which two lakes consist of Niagara Falls?
A. Lakes Superior and Michigan
B. Michigan and Huron