1. We do not do much with him. (business)
2. Some were seen loafing in the streets. (youth)
3. There are more than 100 on the airport. (aircraft)
4. There is no of finding out what happened in the government. (means)
5. were gazing on the hillside. (sheep)
6. The old fisherman caught three huge _____ in the river this afternoon. (fish)
7. It would be a _____ to tell him the truth. (kind)
8. The passengers were searched at the airport for _____ of security. (reason)
9. He felt sympathy for her _____. (suffering)
10. The children are playing on the ______ of the beach. (sand)
11. The teachers met once a year to exchange _____. (experience)
12. Foreign ships are not allowed to fish in our territorial _____. (water)
13. In the garden she took a lot of ______. (photo)
14. Mother bought a basket of ______ from the market yesterday afternoon.（potato)
15. Several _____ were injured when violence broke out. （police)
16. The town has gone through many _____ in the past ten years. (crisis)
17. The mother was thankful for her little _____ quick recovery. (girl)
18. Her memory is like an _____. (elephant)
19. _____ is the largest house. (Mary)
20. We are going to dine at the ______ tonight. (Johnson)
21. The young man over there is a son of _____.(Mr. Green)
22. His sister bought him a pair of _____. (shoe)
23. Chinese toys are sold at ______. (Smith)
24. Bill paid no attention to other _____ criticism of him. (people)
25. He was not driving Charles car but someone ______. (else)
26. This shop sells ______ clothing only.（woman）
27. The fire destroyed hundreds of houses and ______. (life)
28. The waitress was promised good ______. (wage)
29. (Leaf) ______ fall in autumn.
30. John gave me some good ______. (advice)
31. The students are making _____ for their term examinations. (preparation)
32. Television is fit for various ______. (use)
33. She took great _____ to complete her work ahead of time. (pain)
34. Please give my best _____ to your parents.(regard)
35. We have collected enough _____ on the subject. (datum)
36. One and a half _____ has passed since the new term began. (month)
37. Everyone was in high _____ that day. (spirit)
38. All these _____ were ungrounded. (worry)
39. Almost every boy likes _____. (sport)
40. All the _____ in the hospital will get a rise next month. (woman doctor) 答案：women doctors
1. Lake Michigan is one of the Great Lakes in North America.
2. Suez Canal joins the Red Sea and the Mediterranean.
3. Brazil won World Cup in 2002.
4. Olympic Games for 2008 are to be held in China.
5. Times is a British daily newspaper.
6. He is an experienced newsreader for BBC.
7. The proposal was rejected by Education Ministry.
8. Children should be taught to behave themselves at table.
9. I’d like to go to university where I once studied law.
10. The lazy man was sent to prison for stealing.
11. As he had to earn living by himself, the boy left school at a very early
12. Can you imagine world with no wars, no hunger, no pain?
13. He is expert in Chinese history, and he is also interested in the history of
14. It’s a shame! There won’t be another train for a least hour.
15. Mr. Smith is an old customer and honest man.
16. This is university with a history of one hundred years.
17. number of students were absent from the class.
18. number of cars on the roads rose dramatically last year.
19. Apples are sold by pound.
20. He took the little boy by hand and patted him on head.
答案：the / the
21. The bridge was build of wood.
22. We are going to invite you to tea next weekend.
23. Don’t ask me to do impossible.
24. They lost the first two games but they managed to win third game.
25. teacher is one who teaches in school.
26. By time we got home, the program had finished.
27. At noontime we stopped for a picnic by way.
28. I met with her quite by chance in Oxford Street.
29. There are shops and buses close at hand.
30. On our trip to Spain, we crossed Atlantic Ocean.
31. Every Year we hold a big party to celebrate New Year’s Day.
32. After school we went to the sports ground to play football.
33. Be careful if you are walking home in dark.
34. The weather in that area can be over 40℃in hottest days of summer.答案：the
35. I saw many girl at the cinema.
36. The new policy could cut the world oil production by half.
37. Half church was destroyed by the Fascist’s bombing.
38. We have great many questions to discuss at the meeting.
39. She had little difficulty in solving the problem considering her age.
40. Let’s invite few friends to come with us.
1. The women in the committee expressed opinions forcefully.
2. I recognized one of the girls, but I didn’t speak to .
3. Anyone can attend the meeting if is interested.
4. Everybody talked at the top of voice.
5. They each had problems.
6. There’s a baby in pram. Why, is crying.
7. A student at Jinling Girls’ College has to do own work.
8. Have you received my letter? was posted a month ago.
9. The sailors saw a ship in the distance. was sailing toward the rocky island.答案：She
10. I have lost my keys; I can’t remember where I lost .
11. I consider my duty to help you.
12. They discussed this question among .
13. Don’t bother to do it . Someone else will do it for you.
14. The students often help in their studies.
15. If you don’t like this, I’ll show .
16. of the methods has its advantages and disadvantages.
17. I wanted some more coffee but there was left.
18. I have heard both sides of the story and I don’t believe .
19. I don’t want sugar in my coffee.
20. The question is so difficult that of us can answer it correctly.
21. and went to the United States together. (I, Professor Smith)
答案：Professor Smith I
22. and can go there by car. You don’t have to walk along with us.
23. He isn’t nearly as smart as .(he)
24. I trust you as much as . (she)
25. He is cleverer than all. (we)
26. You may use my pen and I’ll use . (she)
27. You should work out the problem for . (you)
28. We have learned English for one year, but we can’t express in English
29. I interviewed everybody but . (he)
30. Nobody but can solve such a problem. (she)
31. It was that helped the old man out of difficulty. (she)
32. From did you receive a letter? (who)
33. I will not trust they will elect. (whoever)
34. He is a man people believe may be the president of the university some
35. refusing to accept the invitation is really surprising. (They)
36. The instructor caught cheating on the exam yesterday. (he)
37. Just between you and that man is crazy. (I)
38. No one will be responsible for it, neither you nor . (she)
39. The sky has rained out. (it)
40. He always conducts like a scholar. (he)
1. There are plenty of apples. The harvest has been . (plenty)
2. The stolen jewelry was valued at a thousand dollars. It was extremely .
3. Don’t place your life in danger. Driving a car when you are tired can be .
4. The book was strange. It was from all the other books I’ve ever read.
5. The children are behaving very well. They are well- . (behave)
6. The snow had covered the countryside during the night. We must go skiing on the
7. Tom gets his information from various sources. He is well- . (inform)
8. We are immensely to learn your success. (excite)
9. This is a piece of very news. (alarm)
10. That was a most story. (astonish)
11. He is a boy; everyone likes him. (intelligence)
12. What a lot of weather we’re having! (rain)
13. He was the moment after his head touched the pillow. (sleep)答案：asleep
14. This area has many huge buildings. (industry)
15. Tome is very of success in his experiment. (pride)
16. The bullet went through his arm. (clean)
17. We climbed to the top of the mountain. (clear)
18. The prisoners were guarded. (close)
19. Her political views are opposed to mine. (direct)
20. He is the school’s best student. (easy)
21. He was beside himself with joy. (fair)
22. If we stand , we shall succeed. (firm)
23. We have to admit that he is a competent man. (high)
24. The bird sang and clearly in the trees. (high)
25. I’ve got any clean clothes left. (hard)
26. I assumed that Harry wasn’t coming. (right)
27. I can’t read this. It’s dull. (dead)
28. You can eat in my restaurant whenever you like. (free)
29. Frank can throw the ball than Hart. (far)
30. There are ten rather deep lakes near here; Green Lake is the . (deep)答案：deepest
31. He arrived late yesterday, but today he arrived a little . (early)
32. Most of the public schools are too crowded: ours is of all. (crowded)答案：the most crowded
33. Of the three boys John behaves . (polite)
答案：(the) most politely
34. He can’t run a hundred meters, even a mile. (little)
35. What is joke you have ever heard? (funny)
36. Which job is , a policeman’s or a fireman’s? (danger)
37. The you start, the you’ll finish. (soon, quickly)
答案：sooner more quickly
38. It was as of success as I expected. (much)
39. I regard him as my teacher than as my friend. (little)
40. His health is getting and . (well)
1. I’ll make sure that everything in order. (be)
2. I’m getting tired it’s time we home. (go)
3. He acts as if he English perfectly. (know)
4. I’d rather you closer to us. (live)
5. I if you were free this evening. (wonder)
6. The ten o’clock news it’s going to be cold tomorrow. (say)
7. Two and three five. (make)
8. He to see me everyday last week. (come)
9. My sister at home for the moment. (live)
10. I’ll phone you as soon as I the news. (get)
11. Send for a doctor at once, the old man . (die)
12. I my breakfast when the morning post came. (have)
13. “Did you check your paper?” “No. I it now.” (check)
14. It for a week and the streets were flooded. (rain)
答案：had been raining
15. He said that the boy much progress since he came here. (make)
16. When the final grades were posted, Max that he had passed the physics
17. James has just arrived, but I didn’t know he until yesterday. (come)
18. The earth on its axis. (rotate)
19. The girl on this essay for twenty minutes, but she has written only about
a hundred words. (work)
答案：has been working
20. He always with his windows open. (sleep)
21. He hardly ever a mistake when he writes. (make)
22. He smoking, but a year ago he smoked 100 cigarettes a week. (give up)答案：has given up
23. If only he so fast! (drive)
24. If I had the money now, I a car. (buy)
25. Suppose we next week in New York? (spend)
26. I feel as if my head on fire. (be)
27. From 1983 to 1988, Professor Smith at Harvard University. (teach)
28. To Mr. Cart, the explanation sounded ridiculous, but everyone else it
29. I’ll think about it while you the report. (write)
30. When I went downstairs, they television. (watch)
31. I wish that we French, for we’ll visit France. (know)
32. In those days, George used to get up at nine, but that week he at five
every day. (get up)
答案：was getting up
33. By the time this letter reaches you, I the city. (leave)
答案：will have left
34. Hurry up. The train . (just come in)
答案：is just coming in
35. We . Fasten your seat belt. (land)
36. While I was working at my essay, my wife . (ring)
37. He ought to stop reading; He has a headache because he too long. (read)答案：has been reading
38. The train had left before I the station. (reach)
39. Until then, his family from him for six months. (hear)
40. We didn’t find our seats till after the play . (begin)
1. The railway line by next October. (complete)
答案：will have been completed
2. He appeared on the stage and by the audience. (warmly applaud)
答案：was warmly applauded
3. This book into many languages. (translate)
答案：has been translated
4. The boy a lot of presents on his birthday last week. (give)
5. The mistake to be very serious at the meeting yesterday. (consider)
6. I’ll have to put the car to the side of the road because we if we leave it
答案：will be fined
7. Most of the streets in the city recently. (widen)
答案：have been widened
8. She to wait for over an hour in the rain before meeting you. (make)
9. A leader should be a man who . (can depend on)
答案：can be depended on
10. The flight due to the turbulent weather conditions yesterday. (cancel)答案：was cancelled
11. Bill a job in a factory, but he refused to take it. (offer)
12. This medicine should before dinner. (take)
13. The work by the time you get there. (do)
答案：will have been done
14. I should very much like to go to the party, but I . (invite)
答案：haven’t been invited
15. She was told that the exam on Friday. (give)
答案：would be given
16. He chairman of the geography club last month. (elect)
17. I think much attention must your pronunciation. (pay)
答案：be paid to
18. She was proud of to the ball sponsored by the Foreign Office. (invite)答案：being invited
19. Other possibilities at the meeting yesterday. (talk about)
答案：was talked about
20. Full advantage must the excellent situation both at home and abroad.
答案：be taken of
21. I don’t think it advisable that Tim to the job since he has no experience.（assign）
答案：(should) be assigned
22. Even if I had known her address, I time to write to her. (not have)
答案：might not have had
23. The flower looked as if it for a long time. (water)
答案：hadn’t been watered
24. If only we a phone, I’m tired of lining up outside the public phone box.
25. We are all up for your proposal that the discussion . (put off)答案：(should) be put off
26. But that he came to help, I there earlier. (not succeed)
答案：couldn’t have succeeded
27. Mary’s sister insists that she in the hotel. (not stay)
答案：(should) not stay
28. Without electricity, there no modern industry. (be)
29. I would rather she the wall white next time. (paint)
30. If I you, I should wait till next week. (be)
31. He behaves as if he this place. (own)
32. If he here, I would explain to him myself. (be)
33. If you the boat up, it wouldn’t have drifted away. (tie)
34. I wish I to repair it. I only made it worse. (not try)
答案：had not tried
35. The doctor’s suggest ion is that he smoking. (give up)
答案：(should) give up
36. I’d rather you the letter right away. (post)
37. It is time that children to school. (go)
38. Your advice that she till next week is reasonable. (wait)
39. If it were to rain tomorrow, the football match . (postpone)答案：would be postponed
40. I wish I hard while I was young. (study)
1. They are going to have the serviceman an electric fan in the office
2. I intended yesterday, but I had to attend a meeting. (come)
答案：to have come
3. Knowing their decision, he could not help but the arrangement. (accept)
4. People expect there more discussion. (be)
5. If you promise angry with me, I’ll tell you what I broke. (not get)
答案：not to get
6. She moved away from her parents, and missed them too much the exciting
life there. (enjoy)
7. That was so serious a matter that I had no choice but the police. (call in)
答案：to call in
8. Galileo planned the problem. But he failed to do so. (solve)
答案：to have solved
9. You’d better your homework before dinner. (finish)
10. He would rather to others than talk himself. (listen)
11. They did nothing except . (work)
12. the program, they had to turn to the public for the funds they needed.
13. I was pleased your sister the week before last. (meet)
答案：to have met
14. The reflected radio signals are strong enough . (pick up)
答案：to be picked up
15. I got to the airport, only the plane had left ten minutes before. (find)
16. Tom often attempts to escape whenever he breaks traffic regulations.
17. The thief confessed to a lie to the policeman. (tell)
18. She likes eating apples rather than pears. (eat)
19. If that job means for six months of the year, I’m not interested in it.
20. I consider to take a tour when the Spring Festival comes. (go)
21. It is no use him to come now; He is busy. (ask)
22. There is no that women are playing an important role in the world today.
23. You must avoid such mistakes again. (make)
24. I found it useless with her. (argue)
25. They spent a lot of time preparations for traveling. (make)
26. a shy girl, she never dares to speak in public. (be)
27. Silver is the best conductor of electricity, copper it closely. (follow)
28. Returning to my apartment, I found my watch . (miss)
29. Susan has worked for three years but found her progress . (discourage)答案：discouraging
30. such a good chance, he planned to learn more. (give)
答案：Having been given
31. The Red Cross help for refugees, over two million dollars have been
raised. (appeal for)
32. The rain , the soldiers continued their march. (stop)
33. Michael used to look hurt and surprised when . (scold)
34. The manager promised to keep me of how business was going on.
35. If you want the job , you have to get the fund somewhere. (do)
36. in all parts of the state, pines are the most common trees in Georgia.
37. With the money found, all the quarrels came to an end. (lose)
38. He hurried to the hall, by two guards. (follow)
39. Many of our dreams impossible in the past have come true. (consider)答案：considered
40. with your achievements, mine is nothing. (compare)