Part A (Exercise 16A)
Rewrite the following, using be-subjunctive:
1. She insists on his taking his vacation now.
2. I had recommended him to be placed in a more responsible position.
3. I suggested his finishing up that project quickly.
4. I demanded his accompanying me to the hearing.
5. The general commanded the soldiers to advance immediately.
6. I prefer Mary to type the letters.
7. It was necessary for him to leave immediately.
8. It’s important for him to be nominated.
9. He advised her to wait for a few weeks.
10. The board has instructed the manager to quit.
11. He ordered the troops to march to the front at once.
12. Congress has voted for this law to be abolished.
13. It is absolutely essential for all the applicants to be interviewed one by one.
14. I think it advisable for a secretary to be appointed at once.
15. We propose somebody neutral for the chair.
16. May our great motherland live long!
17. Let it be understood that both sides are willing to reach an agreement.
18. It suffices to say that the open policy will remain unchanged.
19. It is necessary for every member to get informed of these rules.
20. The ambassador will stay there if necessary.
Part B. (Exercise 16B)
Put the verbs in brackets into proper subjunctive form:
1. Far ____ (be) it from me to call him a thief.
2. If I ____ (be) you, I shouldn’t do it.
3. He behaves as though he ____ (be) better than us.
4. It is essential that he ____ (have) all the facts.
5. Whatever _____ (be) his defense, we cannot tolerate this disloyalty.
6. Home is home, ____ (be) it ever so homely.
7. It isn’t as if she ____ (not be) pretty.
8. We recommend that a neutral Chairman ____ (appoint).
9. He fought as hard as if his wife ____ (be) in danger.
10. He is my best friend, my second self, as it ____ (be).
11. It is absolutely essential that all the facts ____ (examine) first.
12. She treats me as if I ____ (be) a stranger.
13. I wish it ____ (be) true.
14. We suggest that this applicant _____ (apply) next year.
15. If I ____ (feel) overtired, I wouldn’t go on.
16. The committee recommends that the annual subscription _____ (increase) to $10.
17. It is highly desirable that every effort ____ (make) to reduce expenditure and that every member of the staff ____ (economize) wherever possible.
18. He spoke to her as if she ____ (be) a stranger.
19. ____ (be) that as it may, our expenditure is bound to increase.
20. They suggested that Smith ____ (drop) from the team.
21. I’d play football with you if I ____ (be) younger.
22. It’s not as though he ____ (be) younger.
23. If it _____ (rain) tomorrow, the match would be postponed.
24. Suppose he ____ (see) us!
25. It is recommended that the work ____ (not start) until all the preparations have been made.
26. ____ (suffice) it to say that our foreign policy remains unchanged.
27. The judge ordered that the witness ____ (tell) the truth.
28. I propose he ____ (excuse).
29. I move the meeting ____ (adjourn).
30. ____ (be) a serious crisis to arise, the government would have to act swiftly.
31. Congress has voted that the present law ____ (continue) to operate.
32. If need ____ (be), we can always bring another car.
33. It’s essential that he ____ (be) here by tomorrow.
34. It is necessary that every member ____ (inform) himself of these rules.
35. I wish I _____ (be) a bird.
36. He will remain here if need ____ (be).
37. I require that they ____ (come) by ten.
38. Give him food lest he ____ perish.
39. Even if it ____ (be) more difficult, I should try to accomplish it.
40. He makes a note of the assignment lest he ____ (forget) it.
Part C. (Exercise 16C)
Fill in the blanks with the correct forms of the verbs in brackets:
1. It’s just struck midnight. It’s high time we ____ (go) to bed.
2. If only we ____ (have) a phone! I’m tired of queuing outside the public phone box.
3. He talks as if he ____ (do) all the work himself, but in fact Tom and I did most of it.
4. Father: I’ve supported you all through university. Now I think it’s time you ____ (begin) to support yourself.
5. I wish I ____ (know) what’s wrong with my car.
6. I looks like rain; you ____ (have) better take a raincoat.
7. The cheese looks as if rats ____ (nibble) it.
8. He always talks as if he ____ (address) a public meeting.
9. He treats us as if we ____ (be) all idiots.
10. Wife: I’d like to get a job.
Husband: I’d much rather you ____ (stay) at home and _____ (look) after the house.
11. If you ____ (tie) the boat up, it wouldn’t have drifted away.
12. I wish you _____ (not give) him my phone number. (=I’m sorry you gave it to him.)
13. Suppose you ____ (have) million dollars ---- how ____ (will) you spend it?
14. You talk as though it ____ (be) a small thing to leave your country for ever.
15. I hate driving. I’d much rather you ____ (drive).
16. If only I ____ (be) insured! (= But I wasn’t insured.)
17. If you ____ (not take) those photos, you wouldn’t have been arrested.
18. If only I ____ (keep) my mouth shut! (= I said something which made matters much worse.)
19. A: I’ll pay you by cheque monthly.
B: I’d rather you ____ (pay) me cash weekly.
20. Suppose you ____ (not know) where your next meal was coming from?
21. I wish nuclear weapons never ___ (be) invented.
22. It’s high time you ____ (stop) doing this translation and ____ (start) writing your thesis.
23. I wish I ____ (bring) a map with me.
24. I wish you ____ (be coming) with us.
25. A: But I told you what to do.
B: I know you did. If only I ____ (take) your advice!
26. A: Can I take this umbrella?
B: I’d rather you ____ (take) the other one.
27. If you ____ (have) a peep hole in your door, you would have seen who was standing outside and kept the door shut.
28. I wish I ____ (not try) to repair it. I only made it worse.
29. If I ____ (not have) rubber gloves on, I would have been electrocuted.
30. He looks as if he never ____ (get) a square meal, but in fact his wife feeds him very well.
Part D 专四历年真题（虚拟语气）
1. If you ____ in such a hurry, you ____ sugar into the sauce instead of salt. (1992-50)
a. were not, would not put
b. were, would, put
c. had been, would have put
d. had not been, would not have put
2. ____ their help, we would not have succeeded. (1992-55)
a. Hadn’t been for
b. Had not it been for
c. It hadn’t been for
d. Had it not been for
3. She asked that she ____ allowed to see her son in police custody. (1993-50)
a. would be
b. could be
4. ____ your timely advice, I would never have known how to go about the work. (1994-53)
b. But for
c. Except for
d. Not for
5. It was recommended that passengers ____ smoke during the flight. (1994-58)
b. need not
c. could not
d. would not
6. _____ you were busy, I wouldn’t have bothered you with my questions. (1994-62)
a. If I realized
b. Had I realized
c. I realized
d. As I realized
7. ____, he would not have recovered so quickly. (1999-65)
a. Hadn’t he been taken good care of
b. Had he not been taken good care of
c. Had not he been taken good care of
d. Had he been not taken good care of
8. I ____ the party much more if there hadn’t been quite such a crowd of people there. (1996-43)
a. would enjoy
b. will have enjoyed
c. could have enjoyed
d. will be enjoying
9. He left orders that nothing ____ touched until the police arrived there. (1997-43)
a. should be
b. ought to be
c. must be
d. would be
10. I was to have made a speech if ____. (1997-51)
a. I was not called away
b. nobody would have called me away
c. I had not been called away
d. nobody called me away
11. If your car ____ any attention during the first 12 months, take it to authorized dealer. (1998-43)
a. shall need
b. should need
c. would need
d. will need
12. If you have really been studying English for so long, it’s about time you _____ able to write letters in English. (1999-49)
a. should be
c. must be
13. All of us would have enjoyed the party much more if there ____ quite such a crowd of people there. (2000-49)
b. hasn’t been
c. hadn’t been
d. will need
14. ____ for the fact that she broke her leg, she might have passed the exam. (2002-50)
a. Had it not been
b. Hadn’t it been
c. Was it not
d. Were it not
15. “What courses are you going to do next semester?”
“ I don’t know. But it’s about time ____ on something.” (2002-51)
a. I’d decide
b. I decided
c. I decide
d. I’m deciding
16. ____ if I had arrived yesterday without letting you know beforehand? (2004-44)
a. Would you be surprised
b. Were you surprised
c. Had you been surprised
d. Would you have been surprised
17. It is imperative that students ____ their term papers on time. (2004-46)
a. hand in
b. would hand in
c. have to hand in
d. handed in
18. Had Judy been more careful on the maths exam, she ____ much better results now. (2008-52)
a. would be getting
b. could have got
c. must get
d. would get
19. ____ you ____ further problems with your printer, contact your dealer for advice. (2005-63)
a. If, had
b. Have, had
c. Should, have
d. In case, had
20. If you explained the situation to your solicitor, he ____ able to advise you much better than I can.
a. would be
b. will have been
21. It’s high time we ____ cutting down the rainforests. (2006-54)
b. had to stop
c. shall stop
22. That was not the first time he ____ us. I think it’s high time we ____ strong actions against him. (2005-60)
b. had betrayed…took
c. has betrayed…took
d. has betrayed…take
23. ____ he wanted to go out with his friends at the weekend, he had to stay behind to finish his assignment. (2008-52)
a. Much though
b. Much as
c. As much
d. Though much
24. ____, I’ll marry him all the same. (2004-42)
a. Was he rich or poor
b. Whether rich or poor
c. Were he rich or poor
d. Be he rich or poor
25. Much as ____, I couldn’t lend him the money because I didn’t have that much spare cash.
a. I would have liked to
b. I would like to have
c. I should have to like
d. I should have liked to
26. If there were no subjunctive mood, English ____ much easier to learn. (2009-52)
a. could have been
b. would be
c. will be
d. would have been
27. The opening ceremony is a great occasion. It is essential ____ for that. (2003-47)
a. for us to be prepared
b. that we are prepared
c. of us to be prepared
d. our being prepared
28. It is imperative that the government ____ more investment into the shipbuilding industry. (2006-59)
b. shall attract
d. has to
29. I am surprised ____ this city is a dull place to live in. (2006-57)
a. that you should think
b. by what you are thinking
c. that you would think
d. with what you were thinking
30. It is necessary that he ____ the assignment without delay. (2010-60)
a. hand in
b. hands in
c. must hand in
d. has to hand in
31. If only the patient ____ a different treatment instead of using the antibiotics, he might still be alive now. (2007-54)
a. had received
c. should receive
d. were receiving
32. If only I ____ play the guitar as well as you! (2006-52)
18—20 b c a
21—25 a b b d a
26—30 b a c a a
31—32 a b