1. competition(n.) 比赛compete with sb for sth 为了sth与sb竞争
competitive(adj.) 有竞争力的competitor(n.) 竞争者
2. enter 参加(= take part in) ；进入
Eg：I will enter an exam tomorrow.
My father entered the house.
3. kind adj. 善良的，和蔼的kindness(n.) 善良
n. 种类 a kind of 一种all kinds of 各种各样
Eg：He is a kind boy and often helps others.
There are all kinds of things in the supermarket.
4. help sb (to) do sth = help sb with sth
Eg：In order to improve my English, my brother helps me with my homework every day.
5. maybe 也许，大概(常放句首)
may be 可能是(常放句中)
Eg：Maybe you are right.
You may be right.
Eg：At last, he won the game.
We beat them at chess.
7. the first prize 一等奖the second prize 二等奖
8. dream of/about doing sth 梦想做sth
afford to do sth 有能力支付做sth
Eg：He dreams of becoming a scientist.
I can’t afford to buy a new computer.
9. Have you ever won any prizes before?
Have/Has sb ever+过去分词+其他? 用于询问sb是否做过sth，回答用yes/no.
Eg：---Have you ever been to Beijing?
---Yes, I have. / ---No, I haven’t.
10. stop to do sth 停止去做sth
doing sth 停止做sth
You look tired, why not stop to have a rest?
11. That’s a pity! 太遗憾了!
It is a pity to do sth
Eg：It is a pity to fail in the exam.
It was a pity that we missed the wonderful match.
12. mean(v.) 意思是，意味着mean to do sth= plan to do sth
meaning(n.) 意思the meaning of…………的意思
Eg：Do you mean to go to Hainan Island for holiday this year?