Course Name: College English I (21st century)
Level: Band One, Undergraduate
Class hours: 8 hours
Objectives of the course:
Students will be able to
1.grasp the main idea and structure of the text;
2.appreciate the write and reading skills;
3.master the key language points and grammatical structures in the text;
4. conduct a series of reading, listening, speaking and writing activities related to the theme of the unit.
Time Division for two-hour classes one time:
1)Revision (10 minutes)
2)Course delivery (around 70 minutes)
3)Review and assignment (5-10 minutes)
1. Reviewing the previous units;
2. Reviewing what has been learnt about this unit in the course of learning it.;
2. Testing the students‘ mastery of the key language points including the writing skill;
3. Doing some dictating and having quizs.
II. Course delivery
i. Study of Text A “The Washwoman”
i) Pre-reading activities
1. Ask Ss to think about a recent quarrel and then to tell the class, their or a partner a) what the quarrel was about; b) who was the other side(s) of the quarrel; c) how it came to an end, and d) what has been learnt from the insident; and sum up Ss‘ talk and present the text by pointing out that compromise is an effective way to settle an argument.