Unit 5 – Section A
●Language Focus – Words in Use
1. The "discipline" message asks people to save, while the "enjoy yourself" message asks people to spend; therefore, they (contradict) each other.
2. It is a(n) (paradox) that in some odd way world peace appears to depend on our spending millions of pounds on weapons that can kill us all.
3. It is far more effective for parents to allow for the child's (perspective) and let him make his own choice rather than make a decision for him.
4. When you are writing any directions for people, you've got to be direct and (explicit) to make everything rightly understood.
5. The new teaching program was (suspended) last semester because the teachers in the department protested its demand for more intense work.
6. He is a very considerate and generous person, and he is also one of those who can often (derive) pleasure from helping others.
7. Many children are addicted to computers, so they often (defy) their parents and play the computer games for hours every day.
8. My roommate is always very optimistic, and that's why he still (retains) his good humor after all the setbacks.
9. There is a widely held suspicion that the politician, though retired, still has great power and is (manipulating) events behind the scenes.
10. The organization has been working with local authorities as well as regional government and officials to (tackle) the problem of climate.