Answers to Exercises
1 .Put in the, a/an, or a 0 when no article is needed.
1. A, a
3. The, the
5. the, the
7. 0, the, the, The
8. The, a , 0
9. A, 0
10. The, an, 0, a, the, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0 // 0, 0, The, a, a, 0, a, 0, 0, the, 0, 0, 0
2. Fill in the blanks with the correct forms of the verbs in the brackets.
2. is having, won’t be
3. will stay
5. has just offered, told, am /was, need/needed
6. arrived, were
7. has happened, have been trying
8. is, find, are
9. arrived, had begun
10. were still sleeping, was, were barking, began
3. Put into these compound sentences a conjunction (and, but, or, so) and a comma.
1. I did not know a single one, and none of them knew me.
2. I clung to my father’s hand, but he gently pushed me from him.
3. One of our daughters is working in a textile factory in Bangkok, and the other has a jib in a store.
4. The harvests were poor at first, but they soon improved.
5. Send them away, or I’ll shoot and take my chances!
6. I opened the account myself, so why can’t I withdraw any money?
7. Our piece of land is small, and it is no longer fertile.
8. No, we two haven’t changed much, but t he village has.
9. But there is no more rose in my garden, so I shall sit lonely and my heart will break.
10. I know, times have changed, but certain things should not change.
11. Sometimes, they get bullied, and it is like a knife piercing my heart.
12. “Press closer, lit tle Nightingale, or the Day will come before the rose is finished” cried the Tree.
4. Put into the passage punctuation marks: comma and full stop, capitalizing the first word of each sentence.
My sister and I are three and a half years apart in age, but a world apart in the way we live our lives. She is conservative and quiet. I take too many risks, and the only time I’m really quiet is when I’m sleep. I’ve spent most of my adult life apologizing to my sister and the rest of my family for being different, for embarrassing them by something I wear, something I do or something I say.