1) Doctors are often called _____ in the middle of the war.
2) Please wait for me at home. I'll call _______ you at
your house at seven tonight.
Beijing and Guangzhou.
4) He called her name __________, but she didn't answer.
5) The sports meet was called ____ on account of the rain.
( in, for, at, out, off)
5. come about
come into (sight/being/existence/use/notice/effect)
(an end/an agreement/a stop)
1) I come _________ the book I lent you last month.
2) How did it come _________ that you both got lost? I
thought you had a map.
3) It suddenly came _________ to me where I had seen
the boy before.
4) Come __________ now, or else we shall be late.
5) He came __________ me like a tiger.
beginning of this year.
7) The word came __________ use many years ago.
8) When the examination result came _________, he had
already got a job.
9)The bill came __________ over a thousand dollars.
10) I sowed the seeds over a month ago, but they haven't
come __________ yet.
( for, about, back, on, at, down, into, out, to, up )
6. cut across
1) Don't cut ___ this tree. It will be very shady in summer.
ou must cut ________ the number of cigarettes you
smoke, or it will cause illness.
e decided to cut _________ the moor
4) Cutting the tree ____ means cutting the tree into pieces.
refused to pay the bill.
e were having a pleasant conversation when T
down, down, across, up, off, in
7. die of (disease/hunger/grief/old age)
8. fall behind
fall over one's feet
1) Babies often fall _____ when they are learning to walk.
2) Our team seems to have fallen __________ the others.
3) As soon as the enemies fell __________, the people
returned to their village.
4) She fell__________ the bench and had her leg broken.
down, behind, back, over
9. go in for
go all out
go back on
1) Many new factories have gone __ in the past few years.
2) Rents have gone __________ greatly recently
3) Many years have gone ___________ since we first met.
4) Let's continue our journey until the sun goes _______.
5) His actions went ___________ the will of the people,
6) I can't do it, for it goes ___________ my duty
100 students went
8) The bomb went ____________ and killed ten people.
9) The buyer went ___________ the car carefully before
reaching a decision.
10) This tie doesn't go ___________ my blue shirt.
11) If you think you can solve the problem, go ______.
12) Many students went __________ playing basketball.
(up, up, by
, down, against, beyond, through, off, over, with,
ahead, in for )
10. get down
get down to
get along with
get close to sth.
get into (trouble)
get to (know)
1) She spoke so fast that I couldn't get ____ what he said.
e will find ways to get _________ difficulties.
3) The s
tory has got __________, and everyone knows
4) When I get _________ with the report, I'll go to the
5) After a delicious meal the two men got __________ to
6) Don't always get __________ a word when others are
7) It took me a long time to get ___________ such an
(down, over, round, through, down, in, over)
11. give away
give in (to sb.)
1) His accent at last gave him __________.
2) The liquid gave ________ a strong smell.
3) The headmaster gave ___________ the names of the
4) The soldiers gave _________ the town to the enemies.
5) Who will help me to give the books ___________?
6) Don't believe in those who give his friends ________.
7) After a long walk, my strength gave ____________.
, off, out, up, out, away
12. hand in
13. hang about
14. hold back
1) I'm sure he is holding something _________.
2) She managed to hold ______ her emotion until her
guests had left. Then she cried.
3) Tell him to hold ________ a moment. I'll come soon.
4) Our food supply won't hold _________ for more than
a few days.
5) The train was held ________ as a result of the floods.
6) These measures helped to hold ___________ the city's
7) Hold ___________ your left arm, please.
(back, back, on, out, up, down, up)
15. keep up (courage, English, spirits)
keep up with
keep off (grass)
keep away from
keep out of
keep to (rules, promise)
1) The angry lady told the strangers to keep ________
2) I can hardly keep ________ my tears after hearing his
3) Only pride kept her __________ bursting into tears.
4) I can scarcely keep __________ asking him what he
eep _________ until you succeed.
7) Keep _________ your courage, and you'll succeed in
8) The thick coat can keep the cold ___________.
9) Always try to keep ___________ the rules when you
play a game.
10) I can't keep ________ with everything you're doing.
, back, from, from, off, on, up, out, to, up)
16. knock at/on
knock out of
1) The boxer soon knocked his opponent _________.
2) The office stuff knocks _________ at six every day
there is anyone indoors.
__________ the car parked there.
(down, off, on, into)
17. leave for
1) "Whose name has been left __________?" demanded
2) When he died, he left all his property _____ his niece.
4) Don't leave this matter _________ until tomorrow.
5) Leave some meat ___________ for tomorrow
6) Those are questions left _________ by history
(out, to, behind, over, over, over)
18. look up
look after/ at / for
look about / around/round
look down upon
look back upon
look ab. up and down
look ab in the face/eyes
1) I spent two hours looking ______ the students' papers.
2)Look _______! There is a big hole in front.
3) He took part in the game, and the rest of us just looked
______ and cheered for him.
4) The old man looked _____ upon the days of his youth.
__________ upon all his neighbours.
6) The police promised to look __________ the case as
soon as possible.
listened but hear nothing.
(through, out, on, back, down, into, about/around/round)
19. make up
make up for
make into / of / from
1) Can you make this length of cloth __________ a suit?
3) My father made __________ a check for me to buy
e must make the loss _________ next week./ He
tried hard to make ________ for
the damage he had done.
5) He made __________ a story
, which I found hard to
6) Someone is coming, but I can't make ___________
who it is.
(into, for, out, up/up, up, out)
20. pass away
1) The old clock has been passed ________ to me from
my grandfather's grandfather.
2) The man passed ___________ last week in peace.
e are passing ____________ difficult times.
4) The secretary passed ___________ the details in the
first part of his report.
, through, over)
21. pay back
1) How much did you pay __________ the dictionary?
ou should pay _________ the money you borrowed
5) Has she pay ____________ the debt yet?
for, back, back, for, off
22. pick up
(pick up health)
1) I picked the information __________ while waiting in
2) My friend has arranged to pick me _________ at 6:00.
3) The patient has picked _________ health during the
last two weeks.
4) She picked _______ the most expensive pair of shoes.
5) I can't pick John ___________ in the crowd.
(up, up, up, out, out, up, up)
23. put up
put up with
(put on weight/speed)
1) He put _________ half his wage every week.
2) The government soon put __________ the revolt
3) Put your watch __________. It's slow.
4) He put __________ his hand for me to shake.
5). Please put me __________ to Extension
e put ___________ for night at the village inn.
7) He is very proud, and he often put _________ airs.
e had a telephone put _____________ in our office.
9) I can't put __________ with your laziness.
, down, forward, out, through, up, on, up, up)
24. pull down
1) The train slowly pulled __________ and disappeared
in the distance.
2) All the old houses here have now been pulled ______,
and new ones are to be built.
3) The car pulled _________ when I blew the horn.
4) The doctor thinks the man will pull __________.
5) The driver pulled ________ at the traffic lights.
(out, down, over, through, up)
25. push over
push ahead(on, forward)
e've decided to push __________ with our plan to
build a new road
2) Many trees were pushed __________ in the hurricane.
________ at any cost..
4) Take care not to push the baby _________.
(on, over, through, over, through )
26. run across
run out of
1) If you drive so fast, you'll run _________ someone
2) I ran __________ a friend of mine in the exhibition.
3) Our water has run __________. Can you fill up some
4) Why do you always run __________ adventure?
6) In that way you will only run __________ difficulties.
( into, across/into, out, after, for, into)
27. see off
28. send for
29. set up
set to work(n.)
1) I shall set my watch ___________ by five minutes.
immediately the bell rang.
e set _________ at daybreak yesterday and we've
been travelling ever since then.
4) I set __________ to advise him not to drink.
soldiers to guard him.
7) The unpopular law set _________ a series of protests.
(back, about, off/out, out, out, up, off)
30. take off
1) I take _________ all I said about his dishonesty
2) He went to the shelf and took __________ a book of
3) At first I took him _________ a doctor.
everything that the teacher taught.
5) Bill has now taken __________ his father's business.
6) My job takes __________ most of my time.
7) The boss took ____________ twenty people for his
(back, down, for, in, over, up, on)
take charge of
, take sth. for granted
, take pride in
, take the place
take turns to do
, take office
31. think of
think well of sb.
urn off / on
turn upside down
1) The child turned __________ its mother for comfort.
2) Turn ___________ and let me see your face.
3) However much he turned the problem ________ in
mind, he could find no satisfactory solution.
4) The English evening party turned _________ a great
5) The sight of the accident was too much for her to bear,
and she turned _______.
6) The football stadium was full, and many people had to
be turned __________.
7) The army turned him ___________ on account of (
) his poor health.
search for her missing purse.
9) Where did your purse turn ____________? I found it
in the snow
foreigners who lived nearby
11) The factory turns ____________ 2000 new cars last
(to, round, over, out, away
, down, upside down, up,