I worked as a manager in a company for a number of years. I liked my job, and was doing well there, but our company was bought by a larger company and most of the managers at our place lost their jobs. That was when I decided to do something I'd always wanted to do ― become a freelance (自由撰稿的) writer. Changing professions (职业) has meant that my lifestyle has changed in a number of ways.
The main difference for me now is that I have a much more flexible (灵活的) schedule. I work about as much as I did before ― between 45 and 50 hours a week ― but my schedule is much less rigid than it used to be. Before, I worked from 8 to 5 every day, with a few extra hours on weekends. Now, however, I work when I feel like it. For instance, sometimes I work until midnight or 2 A.M., then sleep until noon. I really prefer this kind of schedule. It seems more natural to me.
I also decided that it was about time I began to pay more attention to my health. While I was working as a manager, I never exercised. I already felt tired after work, so I just came home in the evening and watched TV. However, last year I joined a health club and began to do regular exercise. As a result I have lost over 10 pounds and I feel much better. I've also started to eat more healthfully. I used to eat a lot of fast food, but now I do my own shopping. I buy lots of fruits and vegetables and cook them at home.
Of course, not all the changes have been that easy. For example, I don't feel as secure financially as I used to. When I was working as a manager, I never worried much about money. I could always count on getting my paycheck every two weeks. Working freelance, I don't have a regular paycheck. So now I have to make sure there's enough money until the next check arrives.
All in all, I really like my current lifestyle. Of course, that doesn't mean I'll never want to have a "regular" job. But for now, at least, it suits me.
6. Why did the author decide to become a freelance writer?
A. He had always liked writing.
B. He was dissatisfied with his company.
C. He never liked his job as a manager.
D. He wanted to change his lifestyle.
题目解析：细节题。A“他喜欢写作”B“他不满意现在的公司”C“作为管理者他从来没有喜欢过他的工作”D“他想要改变他的生活方式”，从第一段“I'd always wanted to do – become a freelance (自由撰稿的) writer.”（我总是想去做——成为一个自由撰稿作家）可以看出，B、C、D和原文意思相违背，所以只有A“他总是喜欢写作”正确。
7. What is the main difference the job change brought to the author?
A. He works fewer hours a week.
B. He does not have to work on weekends.
C. He can change his schedule as he likes.
D. He can work at night and sleep late.
8. Why does the author do his own cooking now?
A. He wants to lose weight.
B. He has got lots of free time on his hands.
C. He no longer feels tired after work.
D. He wants to eat more healthfully.
题目解析：细节题。从第三段倒数第三句“I've also started to eat more healthfully.”（我也已经开始了更健康的饮食）可以得出，“他想要更健康的饮食”所以正确答案为D。
9. What is his chief problem now?
A. He cannot count on his paycheck to arrive on time.
B. He has no regular work to do.
C. He has to find a publisher for his books.
D. He has to worry about money.
题目解析：细节题。从第四段第二句话可以看出“I don't feel as secure financially as I used to.”（我没有像过去一样感觉到财政上的无虑），所以正确答案为D“他不得不为了钱的事情担心”。
10. At the end of the passage, the author indicates that _____.
A. he is going to find a regular job soon
B. he is not going to change his lifestyle in the near future
C. he will continue to write for the rest of his life
D. he will soon find out whether writing is a good career for him
题目解析：细节题。从最后一段可以看出“…I really like my current lifestyle …But for now, at least, it suits me.”（我真的喜欢当前的生活方式……至少到现在，这种方式是适合我的），只有B“在近阶段，他将不会去改变他的生活方式”符合原文，所以正确答案为B。
All the customs, beliefs, values, knowledge and skills that guide a people's behavior along sharing paths are part of their culture. People throughout the world have different cultures. Therefore their standards for behavior often differ. We tend to assume that certain behaviors have pretty much the same meaning around the world and we anticipate that other people will act as we do. But this is clearly not the case. When we are in a different culture, we may find ourselves in situations for which we are unprepared.
Not surprisingly, interaction among people of different cultures is often filled with uncertainties and even difficulties. Take the matter of the "language space", identified by the anthropologist Edward T. Hall. He notes that Arabs tend to get very close to other people, close enough to breathe on them. When Arabs do not breathe on a person, it means that they are ashamed. But Americans insist on staying outside the range of other people's breath, viewing the odor as distasteful. Americans typically back away as an Arab comes close, and the Arab follows. For example, an Arab business representative may not trust an American who backs off. On the other hand, the Ame
rican may distrust the Arab for seeming so pushy.
11. Which of the following aspect does not belong to the scope of culture according to the passage?
A. customs. B. beliefs.
C. values. D. hobbies.
题目解析：由文章第一句“All the customs, beliefs, values, knowledge and skills that guide a people’s behavior along sharing paths are part of their culture”可以看出文章并没有提到hobbies，正确答案选D。
12. Certain behaviors _____ according to the 1st paragraph.
A. have the same meaning around the world
B. have different meanings in different parts of the world
C. are shared by people all over the world
D. can not be influenced by cultures
题目解析：由句子“People throughout the world have different cultures. Therefore their standards for behavior often differ”可以看出不同的风俗行为的意思不同，正确答案选B。
13. If we are in a different culture, we may _____.
A. notice that foreigners behave differently from us
B. behave differently from when we are in our native country
C. have no difficulty in understanding people
D. change our behaviors
题目解析：由句子“we may find ourselves in situations for which we are unprepared.” 可以看出我们处在不同的风俗中会发现自己无所适从，正确答案选A。
14. According to the passage "language space" means _____.
A. Arabs tend to get close to other people
B. Americans tend to stand outside the range of other people
C. the distance between two speakers when they talk with each other
D. the space between two foreigners when they talk
题目解析： “language space”语言空间的意思，根据阿拉伯人的例子说明人与人之间的对话要保持距离，正确答案选C。
15. It can be concluded from the passage that _____.
A. Arabs and Americans may move far away from the original place where they begin their talk B. Arabs are never ashamed
C. It’s difficult to make friends with Americans
D. Americans like to back off on any occasion
题目解析：根据文章的内容，阿拉伯人和美国人完全是不同的风格而且“the American may distrust the Arab for seeming so pushy”，正确答案选A。
1. I’ve lost interest in my work.
2. I got to the library by bus.
3. Their parents don’t know them as well as their friends do.
4. Some parents even stop their children from meeting their good friends.
5. By 1900, states had laws against selling cigarettes to young people.
6. Before leaving the classroom, please turn off the lights.
7. Flight 220 is scheduled to arrive at 10.30 pm.
8. I read the local newspaper with great interest every evening.
9. Our textbooks are very different from theirs.
10. I sent him a Christmas card last year.
11. The glass broke into pieces.
12. You needn’t attend the meeting.
13. How did you spend your holiday?
14. They questioned both men but neither of them could speak English.
15. Playing the sport you like is considered as an essential part of a person’s life.
16. I reached Beijing early in the morning.
17. The men answered every differently from the women!
18. In most culture, animals are in a worse position than human being.
19. Both Ann and Mary are suitable for the job.
20. He often went from town to town giving lectures.
21. It is still raining today.
22. My roommate, Tom, is also a graduate student like me.
23. Many schools will not open for lessons until the beginning of September.
24. But I’ve got room for only two of you in the house.
25. Could you tell me where the post office is?
26. Will you go shopping with me?
27. He’s growing more like his father now.
28. You should put part of your salary in the bank each month.
29. This box can hold more book than that one.
30. In the world, soccer or football is the most popular sport.
31. They thought that there must be something wrong with their TV set.
32. When she was eighteen, she began to work.
33. This shirt is too big for me. Do you have a smaller one?
34. What kind of life do most people enjoy?
35. I had no choice.
36. We had to stay at home, because it was rainin
37. The doctors decided to see this strange man themselves.
38. If you travel by ship across the Pacific, you cross the International Date Line.
39. He is a world famous pop star.
40. Why not go out for a walk?
41. She was the only daughter and the youngest child of five.
42. Bob and Peter found out that they were twin brothers.
43. Do you mind my smoking here?
44. I feel satisfied with my life.
45. Could you give me a cup of coffee, please?
46. Are you fond of music?
47. I want to get back home by five o’clock if it is possible.
48. How are you doing these days?
49. There are 45 students in each class of the school.
1. Who would say like this?
2. What time shall we leave?
3. We are going to play golf this Sunday.
4. Do you want to go out or stay at home?
5. The TV set cost me $200.
6. I am glad to hear the good news.
7. He sits there listening to music.
8. He didn't understand what the teacher said.
9. The couple enjoyed their holiday very much.
10. The store opens from 7 am. to 8 pm.
11. If you have time, you can come to my office.
12. The teacher told the students to sit down quietly.
13. I am not satisfied with his answer.
14. I can't finish the task within 1 hour.
15. We are going to have an English party today.
16. Please tell me what to do next.
17. Please get off the bus at the next stop.
18. You should arrive at the airport at 10 am.
19. Do you have anything to say?
20. What can I do for you?
21. I am very much interested in sports.
22. Could you show me the way to the train station?
23. Do you know where the post office is?
24. Could you tell me how to get to the bank?
25. Could you tell me how to go to your university?
26. When I was young, I liked singing and dancing.
27. The question is too difficult to answer.
28. I haven't enough money for the coat.
29. David will get a birthday gift from his sister.
30. Please give me your homework before leaving.
31. What is the color of your new computer?
32. What did you do last week?
33. What a beautiful T-shirt you have!
34. My watch is five minutes fast.
35. We must arrive there on time.
36. Can you finish your work in time?
37. I lost my keys on my way to work.
38. When did you get up yesterday morning?
39. I had lunch with a friend of mine.
40. I finished my work at 6 pm.
1. You needn't go there anymore. He already knows about it.
2. As is known to all, China is a developing country.
3. A friend of mine from high school is working in England now.
4. After I get home, I'll call you.
5. Air is all around us.
6. Americans usually eat three meals a day.
7. Beijing Olympic Games can make Chinese people work harder.
8. Call me tomorrow if you have time.
9. Could you tell me how to get to the bank/your university?
10. Do you feel better now?
11. Do you like traveling?
12. Do you think students should do a part-time job?
13. Don't tell me what to do!
14. He can run as fast as Jim.
15. He had a traffic accident last week.
16. He has a foreign friend who lives in America.
17. He has sympathy for all poor people.
18. He is a worldwide famous scientist.
19. He is sweating all over.
20. He offered to help us with our wor
21. He translated the famous novel into English.
22. How are you feeling today?
23. How long do you watch TV every day?
24. How wide is this street?
25. How will you spend the evening?
26. I buy some food on my way home.
27. I don't feel very well.
28. I found $10 on the street.
29. I get to my office at 10:30.
30. I got married ten years ago./My parents were married in 1954.
31. I guess he is ill.
32. I have a pain in my back.
33. I hope you'll be well soon.
34. I slept soundly all night.
35. I think you're wrong.
36. I'll phone you again when I get home.
37. I'll stay at home and watch TV.
38. I'll tell you what to do next.
39. I'll tell you when to stop working.
40. I'm going to buy a monthly ticket tomorrow.
1. I didn't sleep well.
2. I'm sorry to hear that.
3. I heard she got married last week.
4. I take a walk in the early morning every day.
5. We have known each other for 6 years.
6. I watched TV all night yesterday.
7. The movie began when we got there.
8. When I arrived at the station, the train had already left.
9. He knew the time of the meeting.
10. How long has she lived there?
11. Where did you go for dinner yesterday?
12. When will he come to see you?
13. Our teacher always encourages us to speak English bravely.
14. You must always remember not to cheat in exams.
15. This pair of shoes cost me 260 yuan.
16. How long will it take us to get there?
17. I'm now a distance education student.
18. The little boy wanted to exchange his toy car for my cake.
19. These five boys failed in their English exam last term.
can never succeed without enough confidence in himself.
21. The price of gasoline will come down in Chinese market.
22. Don't you think smoking is harmful to your health?
23. I have no interest in what they say about me.
24. I don't know who broke the window.
25. It is known to all that exercises are good for health.
26. Not all Americans are interested in sports, of course.
27. I think the picture shows us how fruit is necessary to life.
28. Does the computer have instructions on it?
29. You can buy water inside.
30. I think everyone knows how to swim.
31. I'll have to try using the search engines.
32. Did you get that E-mail from me?
33. Wang Li's father has taught English here since he has graduated from Peking University.
34. Please give this book to whoever comes first.
35. Though it was late, they kept on working.
36. Bill hit his car into a wall last night.
37. Would you please help me with this heavy box?
38. Apples here like water and sunshine.
39. Fred was such a hardworking student that he soon came out first in the class.
40. Ted and William have lived under the same roof for five years.