Vocabulary and Structure
1. Try to have a real _____ of the course. Having it on your record doesn't mean much.
A) understanding B) understand C) knowing D) know
2. To be honest with yourself is to _____ yourself.
A) look at B) do C) refuse D) respect
3. People often end their letters with "Yours .”
A) truly B) true C) very D) real
4. The _____ of this country comes from its oil.
A) wealth B) view C) sympathy D) tale
5. They agreed to meet the _____ week in the People's Park.
A) exact B) following C) early D) late
6. Generally speaking, views on this subject _____ widely.
A) manage B) succeed C) graduate D) differ
7. The sick old man asked the doctor for _____ to get better soon.
A) award B) advice C) situation D) sheet
8. We were all _____ to hear the news that Tom, the silly boy, had won an awarD)
A) fluent B) rude C) amazed D) successful
9. Tony often _____ with his wife about money.
A) argues B) interviews C) embarrasses D) improves
10. The little girl got much _____ from her father when she told him about her pains.
A. detail B) energy C) sympathy D) suggestion
11. ____ for their mistake, the police set the French onion-sellers free immediately.
A) Admitting B) Announcing C) Apologizing D) Answering
12. After a further 20-point rise, the index unexpectedly fell ____ 73 points on April 21, 2010.
A) apart B) behind C) back D)out
13. From the top of the ancient tower, we had an excellent ____ of the castle and the surrounding countryside.
A) view B) vision C) scope D) scenery
14. Ford 'Model T' proved to be so ____ that it remained unchanged for twenty years.
A) permanent B) fashionable C) feasible D) popular
15. The atmosphere ___ of certain gases mixed together in def i nite proportions.
A) contains B) consists C) includes D) comprises
16. Some small companies have reduced their prices to compete for ____ share of the market.
A) the larger B) a largest C) a larger D) the large
17. What parents say and do ____ a strong influence on the growth of their children.
A) has B)are C)to be D) to have
18. The young teacher had to shout ____ above the loud noise in the classroom.
A) to make himself hear B) making himself hear
C) to make himself heard D) making himself heard
19. It was on Christmas Day ____ she met him for the first time at the railway station.
A) whom B)that C) which D) where
20. ___ I became a teacher may be due to the influence of one of my teachers in my primary school.
A) Which B) That C) Whatever D) What
21. He planned to take computer as his____.
A) work B) subject C) major D) lesson
22. Undoubtedly, the best is the cheapest in the long ____.
A) way B) period C) time D) run
23. The manager ___ the business very successfully.
A) contests B) conducts C) contacts D) connects
24. The girl was ____ for cleaning the room thoroughly.
A) pleased B) prayed C) praised D) practiced
25. If your neighbors are too noisy you can ____ to them.
A) compare B) compete C) complain D) combine
26. The light is too ____ for me to see.
A) dim B) small C) dark D) smart
27. It is said that he ____ a great deal to his teachers.
A) owes B) has C) owns D) knows
28. Tom realized that he ____ the wrong bus.
A) had B) got C) took D) held
29. You'd better leave the ____ dog alone.
A) sleepy B) asleep C) sleeping D) sleepless
30. "Mind your own _____!" the boss shouted at me.
A) affair B) business C) head D) activity
Smartphones are so popular here that it's difficult to avoid seeing one. and in China, these devices tend to become even more widespread.
This year, China will account for 26.5 percent of allsmartphone shipments , compared to 17.8 percent in the United States, according to a forecast by the International Data Corporation (IDC), a research firm. China has surpassed the United States in smartphone sales in the past. However, only in the first quarter of this year did it become clear that the smartphone gap between China and the United States would become a "long-lasting gap that won't be bridged," said Kevin
Restivo, a senior researcher with IDC.
What's driving the sharp increase in China? Cheaper Android smartphones priced below $200, like those made by Huawei, according to IDC. Apple's iPhone has also been a big hit among Chinese customers — during Apple's financial second quarter, sales of the iPhone there accounted for 20 percent of the company's income. However, over all, Android phones are outselling ( 比。。。畅销) the iPhone by about eight times in China, according to Mr. Restivo, which you would expect because Google's operating system is available on a wider range of products at lower prices.
China's surpassing the United States in smartphones doesn't mean sales here are coming to a halt, says Ramon Llamas, a senior researcher at IDC, in a statement. Smartphones already account for the majority of phone sales in the United States, so a slowdown was expected, he said.
Men who fall instantly for a girl just because she looks attractive are usually accused of being shallow.
But that, say scientists, is unfair. They are merely following their 'ancient'genetic preference to date pretty women and need less than a second to decide on a potential partner. Women, on the other hand, do not decide whether a man will be a good partner on looks. Their survival instinct means the y need to F i nd out whether the man is committed,has a good personalit y and is a good provider.
These f i ndings come from a study by Professors Vugt and Hooff of the University of Amsterdam (UA). They examined humans' bias towards looks by conducting a series of tests on 20 women and 20 men.
The subjects were wired up to a machine which recorded brain activity and then were given a task to perform. While they were doing the task they were shown a series of photographs of faces of the opposite sex, ranging from attractive to ugly. Men were easily distracted when they saw a pretty face but women stuck to the task.
The f i ndings showed that men made a quick judgment about women much earlier than was previously thought and men's desire for beautiful women was part of evolution. This is something very ancient and a way of helping men f i nd the best mate to produce children.
3．TEXT B UNIT7，8，9，10