Part 1 V ocabulary and Structure
Section A V ocabulary
1. People are ______ (like) to have more confidence in a company if they know something about it.
2. Although I do not share his religious ______ (believe), I respect him.
3. The fresh seaside air is ______(profit) to her recovery.
4. It is known that computers can help to raise ______(efficient).
5. The ______(complain) department was crowded with angry customers.
6. Many a student ______(ask) the same questions by the teacher in yesterday’s class.
7. She found the atmosphere of the college enormously ______(excite).
8. This suit is rather dirty now. It’s been some time since it ______(wash).
9. It was ______(reluctant) that Susan agreed to help.
10. Everything would be all right if he ______(be) here.
Section B Structure
11. Weather ______, we’ll start our journey tomorrow.
A. is permitting
C. is permitted
D. being permitting
12. The residents, ______ had been damaged by the flood, were given help by the Red Cross. A. all whose homes B. all their homes
C. all of whose homes
D. all of their homes
13. My new shoes cost me $20. The price was ______ that of the last pair I bought a month ago.
A. more than twice
B. twice as much as
C. as twice
D. as much as twice
14. Since the mountain is white, it ______ last night.
A. must be snowed
B. must snow
C. must have snowed
D. must have been snowed
15. ______, he would feel exhausted after a whole day’s work.
A. As strong is he
B. As he is strong
C. Strong if he is
D. Strong as he is
16. ______ a certain doubt among the students as to the necessity of the work.
A. There had
B. They had
C. There existed
D. It existed
17. You mustn’t delay ______ the medicine over.
A. to send
18. An old friend from abroad, ______ I was expecting to stay with, telephoned me.
19. Judges must be independent ______ political pressure.
20. I, not you, ______ to blame.
Part 2 Reading Comprehension
About 70 million Americans are trying to lose weight. That is almost 1 out of every 3 people in the United States. Some people go on diets. (41)This means they eat
less of certain foods, especially fats and sugars. Other people exercise with special equipment, take diet pills, or even have surgery. Losing weight is hard work, and it can also cost a lot of money. So why do so many people in the United States want to lose weight?
Many people in the United States worry about not looking young and attractive. For many people, looking good also means being thin. Other people worry about their health. Many doctors say being overweight is not healthy. But are Americans really fat?
Almost 30 million Americans weight at least 20 percent more than their ideal weight. In fact, the United States is the most overweight country in the world. “the stored fat of adult Americans weighs 2.3 trillion pounds, “says University of Massachusetts anthropologist(人类学家) George Arnelegos. He says burning off that stored energy would produce enough power for 900,000 cars to go 12,000 miles.
Losing weight is hard work. But most people want to find a fast and easy way to take off fat. Bookstores sell lots of diet books. (42)These books tell readers how to lose weight. Each year, dozens of new books like these are written. Each one promises to get rid of fat.
21. Which of the following is NOT mentioned as a way of losing weight?
A. To eat less fats and sugars
B. To take much exercise
C. To have Surgery.
D. To work hard
22. Many Americans are trying to lose weight because__________.
A. they want to look attractive.
B. they want to keep fit
C. they are misled by doctors
D. both A and B
23. The figures given in the third paragraph suggest that ________.
A. Americans are dependent on cars.
B. Cars consume a lot of energy
C. Americans need losing weight.
D. Excess of fat can be a source of energy.
24. It can be inferred from the last paragraph that ________.
A. diet books are not always effective
B. diet books are usually helpful
C. there are lots of ways of losing weight
D. bookstores are keeping their promise
25. It can be concluded from the passage that __________.
A. people think too much of their appearance
B. there is not a sure way of losing weight as yet
C. surgery is the fastest way of losing weight
D. going on diet is a safe way of losing weight
Outside the local offices in Wallington, Bershire, about one hundred people, mostly parents with teenage children, are standing on the steps of the building waving banners which bear such slogans as “Freedom to Choose!” and “Let Parents Decide!”One group is chanting “Hands off education!” very loudly. They sound angry. (33)A television crew has just arrived to film the demonstration and a few reporters
clutching microphones and notebooks are already interviewing some of the demonstrators.
(34)At that moment some officials emerge from the main door of the office building and, amid shouts and jeers, attempt to persuade the crowd to disperse.
26. The crowd outside the education offices comprises mainly___________.
A. hundreds of people
C. one hundred teenagers
D. small children with banners.
27. They are waving ________.
B. notebooks and microphones
D. large notice attached to poles
28. What do the officials attempt to do?
A. Mingle with the crowd.
B. Explain their policies.
C. Get the people to leave
D. Persuade the crowd to listen to reason.
29. A television crew and some reporters came to ________.
A. join the demonstration
B. break up the angry crowd
C. get first hand film scenes and information from the demonstrators
D. prevent the demonstrators from rushing into the office building
30. The demonstrators were protesting against __________.
A. the government’s interference with young children’s education
B. the rising cost of schooling
C. the corrupted educational officials
D. the government’s ignorance of parents’ importance
A--- International Investment B---Documents Index
C---Regional Engineering Contract D---Insurance
E---Auditing F---Ecology Economics
G---Computer Programming H---Specialized English
I---Western Economics J---History of Economic Theory
K---Industrial Economics L---Legal Basis
M---Human Resource Management N---Public Finance
January 4th, 2000
I wish to apply for a position with your company as a photographer. I am twenty-one years old and am at present employed by the Peterson Co., where I have been for the past three years. Formerly I was employed by the Raymond Whitecomb Co., where I was nearly two years.
(45)My only reason for leaving either of these positions would be to better myself and I feel
there is no further opportunity in my present position.
The advertising business has always had a great appeal to me as I have some ability in CI and I would like a position with a firm like yours, where I might be able to use this.
I can give you references from both these firms as to my character and ability as a photographer. My present salary is $1,5000 a month and I would not care to accept less in another position, but I am willing to start at the same salary, provided there is an opportunity for advancement.
Very truly yours,
36. What is the purpose of the letter?
37. Why does Michael Jordan quit his present job?
38. What business does the receiver’s company do?
39. How does Michael prove his qualification?
40. Where did Michael work two years ago?
Part 3 Translation
41. This means they eat less of certain foods, especially fats and sugars. Other people exercise with special equipment, take diet pills, or even have surgery.
42. These books tell readers how to lose weight. Each year, dozens of new books like these are written. Each one promises to get rid of fat.
43. A television crew has just arrived to film the demonstration and a few reporters clutching microphones and notebooks are already interviewing some of the demonstrators.
44. At that moment some officials emerge from the main door of the office building and, amid shouts and jeers, attempt to persuade the crowd to disperse.
45. My only reason for leaving either of these positions would be to better myself and I feel there is no further opportunity in my present position.
Part 4 Writing
Directions: This part is to test your ability to do practical writing. You are required to write a letter according to the following instructions given in Chinese. Remember to write the letter in no less than 80 words .