PART I Vocabulary (15points)
Directions: Choose the word that is the closest synonym to the underlined word.
1. The government slated new elections in the spring, largely as a result of the public clamor.
2. The most prolific writer is not necessarily the best.
3. Imagine my vexation when they said they would come to dinner and then didn't show.
4. Any troop of wild animals should be approached warily.
5. There is little learning involved when one is reprimanded two or three months after the deed.
6. Archaeologists are interested in pottery, figurines and other vestiges of ancient civilizations.
7. Packaging is designed so as to encourage impetuous shopping.
8. Pan of his general thrift is to be meticulous in verifying monthly expenses.
9. The jurors came to a deadlock in the defendant's trial for murder.
A. a decision of guilty
B. a decision to punish by electrocution
C. an impasse
D. an unusual verdict
10. Among the lowest of the judicial ranks, justices of the peace nevertheless frequently exercise jurisdiction
over a variety of misdemeanors.
11. A mistake is rarely atoned for by a single apology, however profuse.
12. Her office in the First National Bank building is provisional.
13. The burglars ransacked the room taking anything of value they found.
B. took over
D. thoroughly searched
14. The whole of the endowment was used to refurbish the school gymnasium.
15. The massacre of innocent people cannot ever be condoned.
Directions: Choose the answer that best completes the sentence.
16. When he realized the true nature of the proposal, he ________ all communication with the group.
17. The worsening financial situation made it obvious that an economic depression was _____.
18. All of the dental instruments need to be _______ before the next patient is seen.
19. Rock climbing is so popular now that many people are able to ________ the steepest face with great
20. If you call the 911 emergency number, they will ________ firemen, policemen, and paramedics
21. His evident _______ to his wife despite her indiscretion proved him to be a man of integrity.
22. I don't know why he has been given ________. It wasn't his accomplishment but his wife's.
23. After a concert tour in Asia, Canada and the U. S., he will _______ work on a five-language opera.
24. When Ph. D candidates ________ their impending professorships, they consider housing benefits offered
by the prospective universities.
25. My supply of confidence slowly ________ as the deadline approached.
26. The battle is of great significance when viewed in the ________ of the progress of the war.
27. It has long been known that total sleep ________ is 100 percent fatal to rats, yet, upon examination of the
dead bodies, the animals look completely normal.
28. In that country, hospital doctors don't go sightseeing very often because their work ________ almost all
A. takes up
B. takes off
C. takes apart
D. takes over
29. According to the law of that country, the Parliament will have to be ________ before the General Election.
30. He failed to carry out some of the provisions of the contract, and now he has to ________ the
A. answer for
B. run into
C. abide by
D. step into
PART Ⅱ Grammar (15 points)
Directions: Choose the letter that indicates the error in the sentence.
31. Switzerland is best known for its majesty mountain range and thousands flock to the Alps
A B C
each year to take advantage of their ideal skiing conditions.
32. Police were sent to disperse the crowds but ended up by shooting down protesters and it
was in this chaos that the seeds of political liberation were sown.
33. Even today, through the hustle and bustle of Nevsky Prospect, St Petersburg's main street,
the classical beauty of the city mesmerizes the eye.
34. She is furious of her son's grades in school, which explains why Mark is jealous of Julia's high A
marks on the exam.
35. Smog-choked Southern California demands them. It's a car for people who never want to go
to a gas station again. But the fact is, for all the talk, selling gas-less machines has been a
36. People thought: Hey, eat a carp and you will be taking in what it is that gives you these fish
their long life-span. Of course, it hasn't done a lot of good for these carp.
37. In deciding to undertake dangerous pursuits, people usually strive for their maximum
personal ability rating, when they are challenged but can he victorious, rather than merely
surmounting the mediocre.
38. In proposing such philanthropic donations, the director of the company certainly spoke from
a genuine concern for the needy and not any desire for personal accolades.
39. The armor, infantry and other military forces were held up by the enemy counter attack,
A B C
thus caused the delay in the advance.
40. Just as children the world over like Christmas rooming, adults so like Christmas evening