Sample Letter One: Asking for Amendment to L/C
Re: L/C No.AC-567
We have today received your L/C No.AC-567 covering the shipment of 2,000 metric tons of Rice. After we have checked the L/C carefully, we find the L/C stipulations are not in strict conformity with the terms of our Sales Contract No. 473. Thus, we have to ask you to make the following amendments:
1. The quantity should read: 2,000 metric tons (5% more or less at Seller’s option). However, in your L/C, “5% more or less at Seller’s option” is omitted.
2. Draft to be at 30 days after sight, instead of at 90 days after sight.
3. The last shipment date should be extended to the end of November and the validity of the credit to December 15.
Please confirm your amendments by fax, so that we may arrange shipment accordingly.
1. amendment n. 修改；修订
e.g. 1) to make amendment to an L/C修改信用证
2) an amendment to the original L/C原本信用证的修改
3) amendment advice 修改通知书；改证通知书
4) We hope you will make the necessary amendments to your L/C as requested.
5) Please send your amendment advice promptly so as to facilitate shipment at this end.
6) We have to ask you to make/effect the following amendments/modifications/alterations
to your L/C: 我们不得不请你方对该证作如下的修改：
amend v. 修改；修订
e.g. 1) to amend the L/C 修改信用证
2) Please arrange with your bankers to have the relative L/C amended as follows:
3) Please amend the L/C as allowing transshipment (as allowing shipment in two equal
4) Please amend the port of shipment “Dalian”as“Dalian” or “Tianjin”.
5) You are requested to amend the clause “…”to read“…”in accordance with the
stipulations of the contract.
6) The clause is to be so amended as to read“…”.
2. metric tons (abbr. M/T) 公吨国际贸易中常用度量衡单位，在公制当中表示重量。除此而外，还有英制和美制的度量衡单位有时也使用。现就“吨”这个单位在不同的度量衡制度中的等量关系列明如下：
1 metric ton=2,204.6 lb=1,000 kg (metric system) 公吨（公制）
=0.9842 long ton =1.1023 short ton
1 long ton =2,240 lb=1,016 M/T (British system) 长吨（英制）