Exercises for Pronouns
1. Most of the housework was done by two members of the family, my mother and ____. A. I B. mine C. me D. myself
2. “His grandmother still treats him like a child.”“She can’t imagine _____grown up.” A. he B. him C. his D. he’ll
3. Our home is finer than _____. A. yours or him B. your’s or his C. you or his D. yours or his
4. They talked about the problem among____. A. them B. each other C. themselves D. one another
5. He told me only part of the story and that was____. A. it B. this C.so D. that
6.____Mr.Chen will manage it all right.
A. In this way or the other
B. In one way or another
C. In one way or others
D. In some way or another
7. Barbara tried ____in the door but ____worked.
A. every of her keys/ none
B. all of her keys/ not everyone
C. all of her keys/none
D. her all keys/ not all
8. When drinking from a well, one mustn’t forget____who dug it. A. them B. these C. that D. those
9. He wrote few letters to ____of his family, but he sent a few cards to ____of his friends.
A. any/ some
10. This furniture is different from ____. A. that B. that one C. those D. those ones
11. “How much tea is left in the pot?”“_____.” A. None B. Not some C. Nothing D. No one
12. The scholar standing over there is _____the great mathematician, Chen Jing-run, himself.
A. no other but
B. no other than
C. none other than
D. no one but
13. One common family name is Smith; ____is Brown. A. another B. the other C. other one D. an other
14. Alan sold most of his belongings. He has scarcely ____left in the house.
15. I did not choose any of the offerings because I found _____satisfactory.
A. neither of them
B. no one of them
C. either of them
D. none of them
16. The Lunar New Y ear was always a happy time _____.
A. for us Chinese children
B. for Chinese children as us
C. for we Chinese children
D. for we, Chinese children
17. Will you buy me ____stamps when you go out? A. some B. any C. a little D. a few of
18. This bicycle is his, not _____. A. their B. hers C. her D. her’s
19. The couple looked at _____and accepted the salesman’s offer A. one another B. each other C. themselves D. them
20. John behaved so strangely today. I thought he wasn’t acting like _____. A. him B. himself C. he would D. he does
21. I don’t want to use John’s pen. I don’t like_____. A. that pen of his B. his that pen C. that pen of him D. that his pen
22. Larry helped me finish my work_____was very kind of him. A.and that B. and this C. and it D. and which
23. We used to meet _____month. A. every other B. any other C. other D. the other
24. “May I help you with some shoes, sir?”“Y es. I’d like to try on those brown_____.” A. one B. ones C. two D. pair
25. ____told us that he wasn’t there. A. None B. No anyone C. No one D. None of anyone
26. Because they usually receive the same score on standardized examinations, there is often disagreement as to ____is the better student, Bob or Helen. A. which B. who C. what D. whom
27. “Did you see any tigers in the zoo?”“_____.” A. None B. no one C. nothing D. not many ones
28. Those boys helped ____in their studies. A. each other B. one another C. one and another D. each and other
29. He was informed that it was_____who wanted the interview. A. I B. me C. myself D mine
30. A good writer is ____who can express the commonplace in an uncommon way. A. that B. he C. one D. this
31. I have heard both sides of the story and I don’t believe_____. A. either b. neither c. each D. any
32. ____do you think is the best pupil in Class One? A. which B. whom C. Who D. Of whom
33. “It’s not mine.”“____can it be?” A. Whoese else B. Who’s else C. Which else D. Who else
34. The boy took off his gloves. _____hand holes in the fingers. A. Either B. Any C. Every D. Each
35.____the students of the class passed the examination.
A. Almost all of
B. Most all of
C. Most of all
D. Almost the whole of
36. Today’s libraries differ greatly from _____. A. the past B. those of the past C. that of the past D. those past
37. As far as he is concerned, one piece of music is very much like _____. A. another B. the other C. others D. the others
38. “Do you like these cakes? ”“I don’t like ____.” A. all them B. them all C. every D. everyone
39. “Do you like these gloves, madam?”“No, show me_____.” A. another B. some others C. other one D. other ones
40. “What happened yesterday?”“I don’t think ____happened.” A. anything B. everything C. nothing D. something