Part one Multiple choice 30marks
1．The movie was very_C__ .She was really ___ in it.
A. interest; interesting
B. interested; interested
C. interesting; interested
D. interest; interests
2. The play __B__ finish ____ nine last night.
A. not, until
B. didn’t, until
C. doesn’t until
D. not, until
3. Sherry didn’t know what to do at the beginning; but she made her __D___ at last.
4. Jean spent fifty hours _A__ the book.
B. to read
C. in read
5. What is the _D___ between this table and that one?
6. Juan has __D___ a new bike.
7. There is __C__ milk in the bottle, but there is ______ fly in it.
A. a; a
B. some, an
C. some, a
D. any, a
8. He ___D____ TV when his father came in.
A. was watched
C. was watch
D. was watching
9. Tony runs fast; Jack runs __A__ ; Tim runs ____.
A. faster, fastest
B. fast, fast
C. fast, faster
D. faster, faster
10. Helen arrived _B__ London airport ____ the morning of June 7.
A. in, on
B. at, on
C. at, at
D. at, in
11. Don’t __B__ other people’s mistakes.
B. laugh at
C. laugh on
D. laugh in
12. We are not _B___ touch that machine.
B. allowed to
C. allow to
13. To ___C____ he won the match at last.
A. my surprised
B. my surprising
C. my surprise
D. my surprises
14. It was __B___ in Japan.
15. Jerry was a _B__ man.
16. is important for us to learn English well.
B.That c.This D.It
17. If you __D__ the book tomorrow, you will be very happy.
A. will read
B. will reading
C. will be reading
18. She __B__ read fifty poems when she was only five.
19.She __C_ last year.
A. give up smoking
B. give up smoke
C. gave up smoking
D. give up smoking
20. My mother has C to Hong Kong twice.
21. I did not remember B her before.
A. have met
B. having met
C. to having met
D. to meet
22. I’ll go with you to the theater if I C my homework.
A. will finish
B. shall finish
23. —Has your neighbour moved into the new house?
—Not yet. The house __B___.
A. being built
B. is being built
C. is building
D. is built
24. It _D___ be my son. He has gone to America.
25. The cake is made __B___ flour, butter, eggs and sugar.
26. I will take care of the baby when they are away.
B. look for
C. look up
D. look after
27. He told me that he _D____ to Paris for two months.
A. has gone
B. had gone
C. has been
D. had been
28. He left the room without anything.
C. to say
29. —I’m sorry sir. The tickets have been sold out. —_A__
A. What a pity!
C. May I have two tickets?
D. You’re welcome.
30. Tomorrow is m y mother’s birthday? I’ll buy her _A__.
A. something special
B. anything special
C. special something
D. special anything Part two Fill in the blanks with proper prepositions 5marks
1. I’ll go out for a walk __in___ half an hour.
2. He’s lived in t he small house ___for__ 30 years.
3. Look ___out__! The tiger is dangerous.
4. Last week I went to my hometown __by___ train.
5. I met my English teacher _on__ the way home yesterday.
Part three Translation 20marks
1.She will have to take part in a new play soon.
2.The play may begin at any moment.
3.Apart from a few words , I do not know any french at all.
4.I am only interested in sitting in a boat and doing nothing at all.
5.In a few minutes he returned with my bag and gave it back to me.
6.As soon as he had got into the car, I said good morning to him in French and he replied in the same language.
7.The house was completed five months ago.
8.Passing planes can be heard night and day.
9.Letters will cost a little more, but they will certainly travel faster.
10.I often fish for hours without catching anything.
Part four Cloze 15marks
Mr. White works in an office. He liked 1A in bed when he was at school. It was bad for his eyes and now he has near sight. But he wouldn't like anybody else to know about _2D_and he never wears a pair of glasses, and it often _3C_ him some trouble.
One winter morning he was sent to a village school on business. He _4_Bthe bus at a stop in a small town. Then he had to _5C_ there. The road to the village wasn't smooth(平坦). He fell over some times and it made his clothes dirty. When he_6D_ got to the village, it began to blow and it got _7C_. He was looking for the school while his _8C_was blown off. He began to run after it but he couldn't get it. He couldn't understand why his hat ran into a house as if it had __9_A_. And he ran into the house, too.
A woman stopped him and shouted angrily, "_10A_are you running after my hen for?"
Choose the best answer according to the passage
1. A. reading B. dancing C. singing D. writing
2. A. these B those C. them D. it
3. A. follows B takes C. brings D. carries
4. A. took off B got off C. got on D. come on
5. A. ride B drive C. walk D. fly
6. A. at first B .at home C. at times D. at last
7. A. hotter B. warmer C. colder D .cooler
8. A. clothes B. bag C. hat D. glasses
9. A. legs B. hands C. shoes D. arms
10. A. What B. Why C. Which D. Who
Part five Readings 30 marks
（1）One day a big rock fell down from a mountain. The rock stopped in the middle of the road in a village. It was like a big ball. Some of the strongest men in the village tried to move the rock. But no matter how hard they tried, they couldn't move it away. They tried to push it; they tried to roll it and they tried to pull it with a rope, but nothing worked.
"Well" they agreed, "there's nothing we can do about it. We'll have to build another road. "
At this time, a young boy of about 12 years old said, "Excuse me, sirs, but I think I can help you move the rock. "
"You?" they shouted, "What are you talking about? All of us have just tried and we can't m ove it at all.” The men all laughed at the boy.
The next morning some people came into the street. One of them shouted, "The rock is gone!" More people ran out into the street to see for themselves. It was true, and no one could see it anywhere.
"It is impossible, where has it gone?" they said. The boy stood out, saying "I did it last night. I dug a deep hole next to the rock and the rock rolled down into the hole by itself. Then I covered it with earth. "
1. Where was the big rock from?B
A. a street
B. a mountain
C. a hill
D. a tree
2. Why did the people in the village want to move the rock away? Because .A
A. it was in the middle of the road
B. it was on the mountain
C. they didn't like the rock
D. they wanted to build a road
3. What did the people decide to do when they were not able to move the rock away?
They decided to__C_____
A. find someone stronger to help them
B. ask a little boy of 12 to help them
C. build another road
D. break the rock
4. Why did the people laugh at the boy? They thought that__A_.
A the boy was too weak to move the rock away
B the boy was so strong that he could move the rock
C. the boy was very helpful
D. it was easy for him to move the rock
5. The next morning the people in the village found the rock _A___
B. was still there
C. was back on the mountain again
D. was rolling down from the mountain
Some ants make their homes under a stone. If the weather is warm, you may see many ants under the stone. If the weather is cold, many ants will be in their house under the ground.
Most of the ants are workers. They are very busy. They look for food and take care of the young ants. Each family of ants has a queen ant. The queen ant doesn't work. She is important because she lays eggs. Those eggs will become baby ants.
There are many kinds of ants in America. One kind of these is very strong. People are afraid of it, and animals are afraid of it, too.
These ants move in groups. They eat all the animals on their way. They can kill and eat elephants, and they can eat wooden houses. When the ants come near, people leave their homes. But people are sometimes glad after the ants pass through, because they will see no other insects or snakes.
1. Where can you find ants on warm days?D
A. Under the ground.
B. On the ground.
C. Inside people's houses.
D. Under a stone.
2. Why is a queen ant more important than a worker ant? Because _-A __
A. a queen ant produces the young
B. a queen ant is stronger than all the other family members
C. a queen ant finds food for all the other family members
D. a queen ant does more work than all the other family members
3. Where can you find many kinds of ants according to the passage?A
A. In America.
B. In China.
C. In Canada.
D. In Britain.
4. Why are people glad after the dangerous ants pass through?C
A. Because they are gone
B. Because they are not dangerous any more
C. Because there are no other insects or snakes
D. Because the ants can be eaten
5. Which of the following is true?D
A. People are not afraid of any kind of ant.
B. Big animals are not afraid of any kind of ant.
C. An elephant can kill and eat a kind of very strong ant.
D. One kind of ants moves in groups.
Tom Green spent his 114th birthday the other day and some reporters visited him to find out the secret of a long life.
“The secret of a long life is happiness,” Green said. “If you are happy, you will live a long time.”
“Are you married?” a reporter asked. “Yes,” Green answered. “I married my third wife when I was 102. If you are happily marrie d, you will live better. But for my third wife, I would have died years ago.”
“What about smoking and drinking?” another reporter asked. “Yes, they are important,” Green said. “Don’t smoke at all and you will feel well. Drink two glasses of wine a day and you will be healthy and happy. ”
1.Some reporters visited Green becauseC
A. he did something peculiar
B. he was a friend of them
C. he had lived much longer than most people
D. he had married three times
2. Green thought that was the most important to life.C
A. his third wife
.3.Green thought his third wife helped him to live years longer.A
4. The writer wants to tell usB
A. drinking a great deal is good for our health
B. drinking within a limit is helpful
C. smoking and drinking are indispensable to good health
D. we should quit smoking or drinking.
5. The best title for this passage isB
A. Drinking and Smoking
B. The Secret of a Long Life
C. Happiness in Life
D. Astonished Reporters