1. --- Paul, __________?
--- Oh, that's my father! And beside him, my mother.
A. what is the person over there
B. who's talking over there
C. what are they doing
D. which is that
2. --- That man alone over there—who is he?
A. He is a student
B. He is Doctor Cook
C. A driver, I suppose
D. He’s drunk
1. --- What are you majoring in?
A. In a university
B. Very hard
D. At nine in the morning
2. --- Haven't seen you for ages! What are you busy doing now?
A. I hate the weather here
B. My hair is getting a bit longer
C. Yeah, thanks for coming
D. I am working part time in a bookshop, you know
1. A friend of mine from high school is working in England now.
2. People all over the world are trying to help the people in Sichuan. 全世界的人都在尽力帮助四川人民。
3. It is still raining today.
4. He’s growing more like his father now.
5. He is sweating all over.
6. We are doing this for our company rather than for ourselves.
7. Fewer high school students are smoking now than a few years ago.
8. They were sitting in the park, playing cards.
9. We're running behind schedule by about 15 minutes.
10. I am writing this letter to complain about the service in your hotel.
11. I’m thinking about a visit to Paris.
12. I’m looking forward to your visit to China.
13. I'm wondering who broke the window.
14. He is thinking about moving to a new place.
15. I'm telling the truth.
16. He is always making excuses for being late.
17. We are getting ready for our English examination.
18. I'm finishing my second year of studies.
1. Is Stress a Bad Thing?
In modern society, stress is the most common thing. Some people think stress is a bad thing because it makes them nervous and sleepless, which they cannot put up with and try to escape from.
I don’t think stress is really a bad thing. Stress can make us work harder and improve our ability if it is handled properly. Moderate stress can make us more energetic and competitive. But remember not to have too much stress for a long time. Otherwise, you will break down.
2. Failure Is the Mother of Success.
Everyone in life might experience failure. It is something that we can hardly avoid. Some people welcome it and think it a necessary step to success; others consider it harmful and cannot live with it.
In my opinion, failure can be a good teacher. It tells us where we should spend more time and energy. In this way, failure teaches us to be better the second time around. For example, Edison finally succeeded in inventing electric bulb after he failed many times.
Therefore, there is some wisdom to be learned from failure. Failure is the mother of success and success that comes after failure is sweet.
所以，失败可以给我们智慧。失败是成功之母，失败后的成功是甜蜜的。3. My View on Luck
Nowadays many people believe in luck. They think good luck can bring them everything. If they have good luck, they will be successful without hard work.
However, some other people hold that this is a wrong idea. Good luck does not emerge out of blue. Luck goes hand in hand with hard work.
In my opinion, if we don’t make efforts, we can’t achieve anything even though a good chance comes to us. Therefore, people should work hard in the first place instead of completely depending on good luck occurring some day.