文档库 最新最全的文档下载
当前位置:文档库 › 傲慢与偏见 英文剧本

傲慢与偏见 英文剧本

傲慢与偏见 英文剧本
傲慢与偏见 英文剧本

片名:《傲慢与偏见》

Lydia! Kitty!

莉蒂亚,小凯

My dear Mr Bennet, have you heard?

我亲爱的班奈特先生你听说了没有?

Netherfield Park is let at last. Do you not want to know who has taken it? 尼日菲庄园终於租出去了你不想知道是谁租的吗?

As you wish to tell me, my dear, I doubt I have any choice in the matter. 妳既然想告诉我,亲爱的这件事我恐怕也没有选择馀地

Kitty, what have I told you about listening at the door?

小凯,我不是跟妳说过不要在门後偷听的吗?

There's a Mr Bingley arrived from the North.

是北部来的宾利先生

- Five thousand a year! - Really?

- 一年五千镑 - 真的?

- He's single! - Who's single?

- 他是单身汉 - 谁是单身汉?

A Mr Bingley, apparently. Kitty!

显然是宾利先生,小凯

How can that possibly affect them?

这跟她们有什麽关系?

Mr Bennet, how can you be so tiresome?

班奈特先生你怎能这麽讨人厌?

You know he must marry one of them.

你知道他必须娶她们的其中一个

That is his design in settling here?

这是他安居在此的计画吗?

You must go and visit him at once.

你必须立刻去拜访他

Good heavens. People.

老天,这麽多人

For we may not visit if you do not, as you well know, Mr Bennet.

若你不去,我们也不能去班奈特先生

- Are you listening? You never listen. - You must, Papa! At once!

- 你听到没有?你从不听我说 - 爸爸,你必须马上去

There's no need. I already have.

没必要,我已去过了

- You have? - When?

- 你去过了? - 哪时候?

Oh, Mr Bennet, how can you tease me so?

班奈特先生你怎能这样作弄我?

Have you no compassion for my poor nerves?

你对我可怜的神经没有半点同情心吗?

You mistake me, my dear. I have the highest respect for them.

妳误解我了,亲爱的我非常尊敬妳的神经

They've been my constant companions these twenty years.

二十年来它们一直是我忠实的同伴

Papa!

爸爸

- Is he amiable? - Who?

- 他亲切吗? - 谁?

- Is he handsome? - He's sure to be.

- 他英俊吗? - 应该是的

With 5,000 a year, it would not matter if he had warts.

一年有五千镑就算长疣也无所谓

Who's got warts?

谁长疣了?

I will consent to his marrying whichever girl he chooses.

他娶哪个女孩我都会很满意

- So will he come to the ball tomorrow? - I believe so.

- 他会参加明晚的舞会吗? - 我相信会的

- Mr Bennet! - [Kitty] I have to have your muslin!

- 班奈特先生 - 我要妳印花布洋装!

- I'll lend you my green slippers! - They were mine.

- 我借妳绿色的拖鞋! - 那是我的

- I'll do your mending for a week. - I'll retrim your new bonnet. - 我替妳缝一星期的衣服 - 我替妳修饰新软帽

Two weeks I'll do it for.

我愿意做两个星期?

[# jig]

It's not the same! It's not the same.

这不一样!这不一样!

I can't breathe.

我无法呼吸

[girl] I think one of my toes just came off.

我想我的一个脚趾掉下来了

If every man does not end the evening in love with you,

若今晚结束前没有一个男的爱上妳

then I'm no judge of beauty.

那我就不知道怎麽评断美

- Or men. - No, they are far too easy to judge.

- 或评断男人 - 男人太难了解了

They're not all bad.

他们不全是坏人

Humourless poppycocks, in my limited experience.

在我有限的经验中他们只会说无趣的废话

One day, someone will catch your eye,

有一天,妳会喜欢上某人

and then you'll have to watch your tongue.

到时候妳说话就要小心

How good of you to come.

很荣幸你们能够赏光

Which of the painted peacocks is our Mr Bingley?

哪只装饰过度的孔雀是我们的宾利先生?

He's on the right. On the left is his sister.

他在右边左边是他妹妹

- The person with the quizzical brow? - That is his good friend, Mr Darcy. - 眉毛古怪的那个呢? - 那是他的好友达西先生

- He looks miserable, poor soul. - He may be, but poor he is not.

- 他看来好惨,可怜的灵魂 - 也许吧,但他可不穷

Tell me.

告诉我吧

1 0,000 a year, and he owns half of Derbyshire.

他一年有一万镑收入而且拥有半个德贝郡

The miserable half.

糟糕的那一半德贝郡

[# jig]

Mr Bennet, you must introduce him to the girls immediately.

班奈特先生你必须立刻把他介绍给女儿们

Smile at Mr Bingley. Smile.

对宾利先生微笑,微笑

Mary.

玛莉

Mr Bingley, my eldest daughter you know.

宾利先生,这是我的大女儿

Mrs Bennet, Miss Jane Bennet, Elizabeth and Miss Mary Bennet.

班奈特太太,珍班奈特小姐伊莉莎白和玛莉班奈特

It is a pleasure. I have two others, but they're already dancing.

很荣幸,我还有两个女儿但她们已经在跳舞

I'm delighted to make your acquaintance.

很高兴与各位见面

And may I introduce Mr Darcy of Pemberley in Derbyshire.

容我介绍德贝郡彭伯里的达西先生

How do you like it here in Hertfordshire?

你还喜欢哈福郡这里吗?

Very much.

非常喜欢

The library at Netherfield, I've heard, is one of the finest.

我听说尼日菲的图书馆是最棒的

It fills me with guilt. I'm not a good reader. I prefer being out of doors. 这让我很有罪恶感,我不爱阅读我较喜欢户外活动

Oh, I mean, I can read, of course.

我当然能看书?

And I'm not suggesting you can't read out of doors.

我也不是说不能在户外看书

[Jane] I wish I read more, but there seem to be so many other things to do. 我希望能多读点书但总好像有其它事要做

[Bingley] That's exactly what I meant.

对,我就是这个意思

Mama, Mama! You will never, ever believe what we're about to tell you.

妈妈,妳绝不相信我即将要告诉妳的事?

- Tell me! - She's going to take the veil.

- 快说吧! - 她要去当修女

- The regiment are coming! - Officers?

- 军团要来了 - 军官?

They're going to be stationed the whole winter, right here.

他们整个冬天都要驻扎在此

- Officers? - As far as the eye can see.

- 军官吗? - 放眼望去都是

[Mrs Bennet] Oh, look. Jane's dancing with Mr Bingley.

你看珍在和宾利先生跳舞

Mr Bennet.

班奈特先生

- Do you dance, Mr Darcy? - Not if I can help it.

- 达西先生,你跳舞吗? - 我尽可能避免

I didn't know you were coming to see me. What's the matter?

我不知道妳要来见我怎麽了?

We are a long way from Grosvenor Square, are we not, Mr Darcy?

我们离葛凡诺广场很远对吧,达西先生?

I've never seen so many pretty girls.

我从没见过这麽多美女

You were dancing with the only handsome girl.

你刚和唯一的美女跳舞

She is the most beautiful creature I have ever beheld.

她是我所见过最漂亮的美人

- But her sister Elizabeth is agreeable. - Perfectly tolerable.

- 她妹妹伊莉莎白也很可亲 - 还勉强可以忍受

Not handsome enough to tempt me. Return to your partner and enjoy her smiles. 但还不够吸引我回妳舞伴身边,欣赏她的笑容

[Darcy] You're wasting your time with me.

跟我一起只是浪费时间

Count your blessings, Lizzie. If he liked you, you'd have to talk to him.

伊莉莎白,抓住妳的幸福若他喜欢妳,妳要跟他讲话

Precisely.

一点也没错

I wouldn't dance with him for all of Derbyshire,

就算他有整个德贝郡我也不会与他共舞

Iet alone the miserable half.

更何况他只有糟糕的那半边

[# jig]

Wait!

等等

- I enjoyed that so much, Miss Lucas. - How well you dance, Mr Bingley. - 我很愉快,路卡斯小姐 - 宾利先生,你跳的真好

[woman] I've never enjoyed a dance so much.

我从来没跳得这麽愉快过

My daughter Jane is a splendid dancer, is she not?

我女儿珍是个优秀的舞者对吧?

She is indeed.

的确是的

Your friend Miss Lucas is a most amusing young woman.

妳的朋友路卡斯小姐是很有趣的年轻姑娘

Oh, yes, I adore her.

是的,我喜欢她

- It is a pity she's not more handsome. - Mama!

- 很可惜她称不上漂亮 - 妈妈

Oh, but Lizzie would never admit that she's plain.

虽然伊莉莎白绝不会承认她很平凡

Of course, it's my Jane who's considered the beauty of the county.

当然,我的珍是公认的美女

Mama, please!

妈妈,拜托

When she was 1 5, a gentleman was so much in love with her,

她十五岁时,就有绅士爱上她

I was sure he would make her an offer.

我确信他想跟珍求婚

However, he did write her some very pretty verses.

他的确为珍写了些美丽的诗句

And that put paid to it.

但是为此付出了代价

I wonder who discovered the power of poetry in driving away love.

不知谁发现诗的力量可以驱逐爱情

- I thought poetry was the food of love. - Of a fine, stout love.

-我认为诗是爱的粮食 -美好坚贞的爱之粮

But if it is only a vague inclination, one poor sonnet will kill it.

但若只是模糊的爱糟糕的十四行诗会毁了它

So, what do you recommend to encourage affection?

那妳觉得什麽能激起爱情?

Dancing. Even if one's partner is barely tolerable.

跳舞即使是和仅能勉强容忍的舞伴

[hushed] Mr Bingley is just what a young man ought to be.

宾利先生就是一个年轻男人该有的样子

- Sensible, good-humoured... - Handsome, conveniently rich...

- 理性,有幽默感 - 英俊,刚好又有钱

Marriage should not be driven by thoughts of money.

婚姻不应该和金钱扯上关系

Only deep love will persuade me to marry.

只有真爱才能让我结婚

- Which is why I'll end up an old maid. - Do you really believe he liked me? -所以我会嫁不出去 -妳真的认为他喜欢我?

He danced with you most of the night, and stared at you the rest.

他整晚大多与妳共舞其馀时间都盯着妳看

I give you leave to like him. You've liked many stupider.

我准许妳喜欢他妳喜欢过太多蠢蛋了

You're a great deal too apt to like people in general.

妳太容易喜欢别人

All the world is good in your eyes.

世界在妳眼中都是美好的

Not his friend. I still can't believe what he said about you.

他的朋友可不我还是不能相信他对妳的评语

Mr Darcy?

达西先生吗?

I'd more easily forgive his vanity had he not wounded mine.

若他没有伤害到我的虚荣心我会比较容易原谅他的自负

But no matter. I doubt we shall ever speak again.

但没关系我们大概没有机会再交谈

[Mrs Bennet] He danced with Miss Lucas.

他和路卡斯小姐跳第三支舞

[Mr Bennet] We were all there, dear.

我们都在场

It is a shame she's not more handsome.

真可怜,可惜她不够漂亮

There's a spinster in the making and no mistake.

有些人天生就注定嫁不出去

The fourth with a Miss King of little standing,

第四支舞和金小姐跳

and the fifth again with Jane.

第五支舞又跟珍跳

If he had any compassion, he would've sprained his ankle.

若他还有同情心他早就把脚踝扭伤了

The way you carry on,

照你那种说法

you'd think our girls look forward to a grand inheritance.

你难道以为我们的女儿会期待一大笔遗产

When you die, which may be very soon,

你死後,可能留不了太久了

they will be left without a roof over their head nor a penny to their name. 她们会无处可住又身无分文

- Please, it's ten in the morning. - A letter to Miss Bennet, ma'am.

-拜托,现在才早上十点 -夫人,有班奈特小姐的信

From Netherfield Hall.

是来自尼日菲庄园的

- Praise the Lord. We are saved! - [laughter]

感谢主,我们得救了

[Mrs Bennet] Make haste, Jane, make haste. Oh, happy day!

珍,快一点真是快乐的一天

It is from Caroline Bingley.

是卡洛琳宾利写来的

She has invited me to dine with her.

她邀请我与她共进晚餐

- Her brother will be dining out. - Dining out?

- 她哥哥将会外出用餐 - 外出用餐?

- Can I take the carriage? - Let me see.

- 我可以搭马车吗? - 我看看

- It is too far to walk. - This is unaccountable of him.

- 走路太远了 - 我真不明白他竟然在外出用餐

Mama, the carriage for Jane?

妈,珍可以坐马车吗?

Certainly not. She'll go on horseback.

当然不行,她必须骑马去?

[Lizzie & Jane] Horseback!

骑马?

[thunder]

Lizzie.

伊莉莎白

Now she'll have to stay the night, exactly as I predicted.

现在她必须留下来过夜正如我的预测

Good grief, woman, your skills in the art of matchmaking

老天啊,女人妳作媒的技巧?

are positively occult.

真是超乎人的想像

Though I don't think, Mama, you can take credit for making it rain.

妈妈但我觉得妳不可能呼风唤雨

"My friends will not hear of me returning home until I am better.

「我痊愈之前朋友们都不会有我的消息

Excepting a sore throat, a fever and a headache, nothing is wrong with me."

除了喉咙痛,发烧和头痛外我一切都好」

If Jane does die it will be a comfort to know it was in pursuit of Mr Bingley. - 这真是一个笑话! - 若珍为了追求宾利先生而死,那还真是令人安慰

People do not die of colds.

人才不会因为感冒而死

[Lizzie] But she may perish with the shame of having such a mother.

但她可能因为有这种母亲而羞愧而死

I must go to Netherfield at once.

我必须立刻去尼日菲庄园

Lady Bathurst is redecorating her ballroom in the French style.

巴索斯夫人将她的舞厅重新装潢成法式风格

A little unpatriotic, don't you think?

你不觉得这样会不太爱国吗?

Miss Elizabeth Bennet.

伊莉莎白班奈特小姐

[Caroline] Good Lord, did you walk here?

老天,妳走路过来的吗?

I did.

是的

- I'm so sorry. How is my sister? - She's upstairs.

- 抱歉,我姊姊好吗? - 她在楼上

Thank you.

谢谢

[Caroline] My goodness, did you see her hem? Six inches deep in mud.

我的天,你看到她的裙摆吗?有6吋被泥巴浸湿了

She looked positively mediaeval.

她看起来真是过时

I feel such a terrible imposition. They're being so kind to me.

我觉得好糟糕但他们对我真好

I don't know who is more pleased at your being here, Mama or Mr Bingley.

不知道妳在这里,高兴的是人会是妈妈还是宾利先生

Thank you for tending to my sister so diligently.

谢谢你这麽辛劳地照顾我姊姊

She's in far better comfort than at home.

她比在家舒服多了

It's a pleasure.

我很乐意

I mean, it's not a pleasure that she's ill. Of course not.

我不是指她的生病让我很高兴

It's a pleasure that she's here, being ill.

我是很高兴她待在这里虽然她生病了

Black on the back, but not related to the learned pig of Norwich.

背是黑色的但是和诺瑞奇的学习猪无关

- Now that pig is... - Mr Bennet.

-那只猪是… -班奈特先生

It's all going to plan. He's half in love with her already.

一切都照计划进行他已经快爱上她了

- Who is, blossom? - Mr Bingley.

- 谁啊? - 宾利先生

He doesn't mind that she hasn't a penny.

他不会介意她身无分文

He has more than enough for the two of them.

他自己就够有钱了

- How will we meet them? - Easy!

- 我们怎麽跟他们见面? - 这很简单

Wait for me!

等等我

[Lydia] You drop something. They pick it up. And then you're introduced. 妳丢个东西,他们捡起来然後就有人介绍了

Officers!

军官

[# military march]

[Caroline] You write uncommonly fast, Mr Darcy.

达西先生,你写得真快

You're mistaken. I write slowly.

妳误会了,我算写得很慢

How many letters you must have occasion to write, Mr Darcy.

达西先生你一定有很多信要写

Letters of business. How odious I should think them.

商业信函,我讨厌极了

It is fortunate, then, they fall to me and not you.

还好写的人是我而不是妳

Tell your sister I long to see her.

告诉你妹妹我很想见她

- I've already told her once. - I do dote on her.

- 我已经告诉过她了 - 我真的很喜欢她

I was quite in raptures at her beautiful design for a table.

她美丽的桌子设计,令我着迷

Perhaps you will give me leave to defer your raptures.

也许妳能允许我有不同的意见

I have not room enough to do them justice.

但我没有足够的空间写下去

[Bingley] You young ladies are so accomplished.

你们这些年轻姑娘真是多才多艺

- What do you mean? - You paint tables, play the piano

- 你指的是什麽?查尔斯? - 妳们能绘画丶弹琴?

and embroider cushions.

还会刺绣

I never heard of a lady, but people say she's accomplished.

我还没听过,有哪个姑娘没有以上的才能

[Darcy] The word is applied too liberally.

多才多艺这个字眼被运用地太广泛

I do not know more than half a dozen women

我所认识多才多艺的女人不超过六个

- that are truly accomplished. - [Caroline] Nor l.

我也是

Goodness, you must comprehend a great deal in the idea.

老天,你一定对这个相当了解

- I do. - Absolutely.

- 的确是的 - 绝对是的

She must have a knowledge of music, singing, drawing, dancing

她必须非常精通音乐歌唱丶绘画丶跳舞

and the modern languages to deserve the word.

以及现代语言才称得上多才多艺

And something in her air and manner of walking.

而且她的气质以及走路仪态

And she must improve her mind by extensive reading.

她还必须博览群书以增广见闻

I'm no longer surprised at your knowing only six accomplished women.

那麽你只认识六个才女就不让我惊讶了

- I wonder at you knowing any. - Are you so severe on your own sex?

- 我怀疑真有这样的人 - 你对女性这麽严苛吗?

I never saw such a woman. She would certainly be a fearsome thing to behold. 我从未见过这样的女人她一定可憎?

[Caroline] Miss Elizabeth, let us take a turn about the room.

伊莉莎白小姐我们在房间里走走

It's refreshing, is it not, after sitting so long in one attitude?

坐了这麽久,走走可以提神

It is a small kind of accomplishment, I suppose.

我猜这是某种才艺

Will you not join us, Mr Darcy?

达西先生,你不加入我们吗?

You can only have two motives, and I would interfere with either.

妳只有两个动机两种我都不想干涉

What can he mean?

他是什麽意思?

The surest way to disappoint him would be to ask him nothing.

要让他失望就是什麽都不要问他

Do tell us, Mr Darcy.

达西先生,请告诉我们

Either you are in each other's confidence

如果不是妳们彼此信任

and you have secret affairs to discuss,

想要讨论一些私事

or you are conscious that your figures

就是很清楚妳们的体态

appear to the greatest advantage by walking.

在走路时最为动人

If the first, I should get in your way.

若是前者,我不想打扰

If the second, I can admire you much better from here.

若是後者坐在这里欣赏更好

How shall we punish him for such a speech?

真惊人我们该怎麽惩罚他这种言论?

- We could laugh at him. - No. Mr Darcy is not to be teased.

- 我们可以嘲笑他 - 不,我们不能作弄他

Are you too proud, Mr Darcy? And would you consider pride a fault or a virtue? 达西先生,你傲慢吗?你觉得傲慢是缺点还是优点?

- I couldn't say. - We're trying to find a fault in you.

- 这很难说 - 我们想找出你的缺点

I find it hard to forgive the follies and vices of others,

我很难原谅别人的愚蠢和恶行

or their offences against me.

或他们对我的冒犯

My good opinion, once lost, is lost forever.

我认为一旦犯错就不得翻身

Oh, dear. I cannot tease you about that.

老天,我不能嘲笑你这点

What a shame, for I dearly love to laugh.

真可惜,因为我很爱笑

[Caroline] A family trait, I think.

我想是家族特性吧

A Mrs Bennet, a Miss Bennet, a Miss Bennet and a Miss Bennet, sir.

班奈特太太,班奈特小姐班奈特小姐和班奈特小姐

Are we to receive every Bennet in the country?

老天,我们接待了国内的每个班奈特吗?

What an excellent room you have, sir.

先生,这个房间真壮观

Such expensive furnishings.

这麽昂贵的家俱

[Mrs Bennet] I do hope you intend to stay here, Mr Bingley.

宾利先生,希望你住下来

Absolutely, I find the country very diverting. Don't you agree, Darcy?

当然,我觉得乡间很有趣达西,你不觉得吗?

I find it perfectly adequate.

我觉得还可以

Even if society is a little less varied than in town.

虽然社交圈比城里单调多了

Less varied? Not at all.

单调?才不会呢

We dine with four and 20 families of all shapes and sizes.

我们和24个家族来往

Sir William Lucas, for instance, is a very agreeable man.

例如威廉路卡斯爵士就非常讨人喜欢

And a good deal less self-important than some people half his rank.

还有一些不会自视过高的人

[Lydia] Mr Bingley, is it true you will hold a ball here?

宾利先生你真的要举办舞会吗?

A ball?

舞会?

It would be an excellent way to meet new friends. You could invite the militia. 这是认识新朋友的好办法你可以邀请民兵团

- Oh, do hold a ball! - Kitty!

- 请开舞会吧 - 小凯

When your sister recovers, you shall name the day.

等妳姊姊一康复就挑个日子吧

I think a ball is an irrational way to gain new acquaintance.

我认为舞会并不是认识新朋友的合理方式

It would be better if conversation, not dancing, were the order of the day.

交谈比跳舞好

Indeed, much more rational, but rather less like a ball.

是很合理,但就不像舞会了

Thank you, Mary.

谢谢妳,玛莉

What a fine imposing place to be sure, is it not, my dears?

这房子可真壮观是吧,亲爱的?

There's no house to equal it in the county.

乡下没有任何房子比得上这里

- Mr Darcy. - Miss Bennet.

- 达西先生 - 班奈特小姐

- There she is. - I don't know how to thank you.

- 她来了 - 我不知道该如何谢你

You're welcome any time you feel the least bit poorly.

不要客气

Thank you for your stimulating company. Most instructive.

有妳陪伴很开心收获很大

Not at all. The pleasure is all mine.

不客气,是我的荣幸

- Mr Darcy. - Miss Elizabeth.

- 达西先生 - 伊莉莎白小姐

And then there was one with great long lashes, like a cow.

还有一只绑了很长的绳索像是牛

Ask Mrs Hill to order us a sirloin, Betsy.

贝琪,跟希尔太太订沙朗牛排

Just the one, mind. We're not made of money.

只要那个,我们没有钱

[Mary practises scales]

I hope, my dear, you've ordered a good dinner today.

亲爱的希望妳今天准备了丰盛的晚餐

I've reason to expect an addition to our family party.

我相信有人会加入我们的家庭聚餐

[Lizzie] His name's Mr Collins, the dreaded cousin.

那讨厌的表亲叫柯林斯先生

- [Charlotte] Who is to inherit? - Everything.

- 那个继承人吗? - 是啊,会继承一切?

Even my piano stool belongs to Mr Collins.

连我的钢琴凳子都属於柯林斯先生

When?

哪时候?

He may turn us out of the house as soon as he pleases.

只要他高兴随时可以把我们撵出房子?

The estate passes directly to him and not to us poor females.

房地产由他继承而不是我们这些可怜的女性

Mr Collins, at your service.

柯林斯先生,随时听候差遣

What a superbly featured room and what excellent potatoes.

好棒的房间和好棒的马铃薯

It's many years since I've had such an exemplary vegetable.

我好多年没吃过这麽好的蔬菜

To which fair cousin should I compliment the excellence of the cooking? 这麽棒的厨艺我该赞美哪位表亲?

We are perfectly able to keep a cook.

柯林斯先生我们有足够能力请得起厨师

Excellent.

好极了

I'm very pleased the estate can afford such a living.

我很高兴这些房地产能提供这样的生活

I'm honoured to have as my patroness Lady Catherine de Bourgh.

我很荣幸有个赞助人凯萨琳狄柏夫人

You've heard of her, I presume?

妳们听过她吧?

My small rectory abuts her estate,

我的牧师宿舍紧邻她的宅邸

Rosings Park, and she often condescends

罗新庄园

to drive by my humble dwelling in her little phaeton and ponies. 她常常驾着马车经过寒舍

Does she have any family?

她没有家人吗?

One daughter, the heiress of Rosings and very extensive property. 有个女儿是广大的罗新庄园之继承人

I've often observed to Lady Catherine

我常跟凯萨琳夫人说?

that her daughter seemed born to be a duchess,

她女儿天生是女公爵

for she has all the superior graces of elevated rank.

因为她拥有那种高贵阶层的优雅

These kind of compliments are always acceptable to the ladies,

这种赞美总是受到女士欢迎

and which I conceive myself particularly bound to pay.

我认为这是我应该付出的

How happy for you, Mr Collins,

我真为你高兴,柯林斯先生

to possess the talent for flattering with such delicacy.

拥有这麽得体的恭维天份

Do these attentions proceed from the impulse of the moment

这种恭维是一时兴起的

or are they the result of previous study?

还是预先研究好的?

They arise from what is passing at the time.

要看当时的状况

I always wish to give them as unstudied an air as possible.

但我希望尽量做到浑然天成

Oh, believe me, no one would suspect your manners to be rehearsed. 相信我没人会知道你曾经练习过

[Lydia laughs, coughs]

After dinner, I thought I might read to you for an hour or two.

晚餐後我想为各位念一两个钟头的书

I have with me Fordyce's Sermons

我带来福德斯的讲道篇

which speak very eloquently on all matters moral.

洋洋洒洒地讨论到各种道德

Are you familiar with Fordyce's Sermons, Miss Bennet?

班奈特小姐妳熟悉福德斯的讲道篇吗?

Mrs Bennet, I have been bestowed by the good grace of Lady Catherine de Bourgh 班奈特太太凯萨琳狄柏夫人恩赐我

a parsonage of no mean size.

一栋牧师宿舍

I have become aware of the fact.

我有注意到这点

It is my avowed hope that soon I may find a mistress for it.

我很希望尽快为它找个女主人?

And I have to inform you that the eldest Miss Bennet

我想告知妳大女儿班奈特小姐

has captured my special attention.

让我特别注意

Oh, Mr Collins.

柯林斯先生

Unfortunately, it is incumbent upon me

很不幸地

to hint that the eldest Miss Bennet is very soon to be engaged.

我得说大女儿很快就要订婚了

Engaged.

订婚?

But Miss Lizzie, next to her in age and beauty,

但年纪外貌都仅次於她的伊莉莎白小姐

would make anyone an excellent partner.

会是任何人的好伴侣

Do not you agree? Mr Collins?

你同意吗?柯林斯先生

Indeed. Indeed.

的确是的

A very agreeable alternative.

是非常不错的另一个选择

[fiddler plays]

[Lizzie] Mr Collins is a man who makes you despair at the entire sex.

柯林斯先生会让妳对所有的男性绝望

- Yours, I believe. - Oh, Mr Wickham, how perfect you are.

- 我相信这是妳的 - 维克先生,你真好

He picked up my handkerchief. Did you drop yours on purpose?

他捡起我的手帕妳故意掉的吗?

Mr Wickham is a lieutenant.

维克先生是个上尉

- An enchanted lieutenant. - What are you up to, Liddy?

- 很迷人的上尉 - 妳在想些什麽?

- We happened to be looking for ribbon. - White, for the ball. - 我们正在找条缎带 - 白色的,舞会用的

Shall we all look for some ribbon together?

我们一起去找吧?

- Good afternoon, Mr James. - Miss Lydia, Miss Bennet.

- 詹姆士先生,你好 - 莉蒂亚小姐,班奈特小姐

I shan't even browse.

我根本不该看

I can't be trusted. I have poor taste in ribbons.

不能相信我我对缎带很没眼光

Only a truly confident man would admit that.

只有有自信的人才会承认这点?

No, it's true.

不,我是说真的

And buckles. When it comes to buckles, I'm lost.

还有扣环只要跟扣环有关,我就完了

- You must be the shame of the regiment. - The laughing stock. - 你一定是民兵团之耻 - 他们的笑柄

What do your superiors do with you?

你的上司拿你怎麽办?

Ignore me. I'm of next to no importance, so it's easily done. 忽视我,我只是无名小卒所以很容易打发

- Lizzie, lend me some money. - You already owe me a fortune. - 伊莉莎白,借我一些钱 - 妳已经欠我一大笔了

- Allow me to oblige. - No, Mr Wickham, please...

- 我来吧 - 不,维克先生,拜托…

I insist.

我坚持

- [Lizzie] I pity the French. - [Wickham] So do l.

- 我同情法国人 - 我也是

- [Jane] Look, Mr Bingley. - [Lydia] Mr Bingley!

- 看,是宾利先生 - 宾利先生

[Bingley] I was just on my way to your house.

我正打算到妳府上

How do you like my ribbons for your ball?

你喜欢我为你舞会准备的缎带吗?

- Very beautiful. - She is. Look, she's blooming.

- 非常美丽 - 她也是,看她如盛开的花?

Oh, Lydia.

莉蒂亚

Be sure to invite Mr Wickham. He is a credit to his profession. 邀请维克先生吧他是个好军人

[Jane] You can't invite people to other people's balls.

莉蒂亚妳不能邀请人到别人的舞会

Of course, you must come, Mr Wickham.

维克先生,欢迎你来

If you'll excuse me, ladies, enjoy the day.

小姐们,恕我失陪好好享受这一天

[Lizzie] Do you plan to go to the Netherfield ball, Mr Wickham?

维克先生你要参加尼日菲的舞会吗?

Perhaps. How long has Mr Darcy been a guest there?

也许吧达西先生到这作客多久了?

About a month.

大约一个月

Forgive me, but are you acquainted with him, with Mr Darcy?

抱歉问你,你跟达西先生很熟吗?

Indeed, I've been connected with his family since infancy.

是的我从幼年就和他家有关连

You may well be surprised, given our cold greeting this afternoon.

妳大概会很惊讶尤其是看了今天下午他的冷漠态度

I hope your plans in favour of Meryton will not be affected

希望你和那位先生的关系不会影响到

- by your relations with the gentleman. - It is not for me to be driven away. - 你待在美乐顿的计画 - 我不会被逼走的

If he wishes to avoid seeing me, he must go, not l.

若他希望避免见到我该走的是他,而不是我

I must ask, what is the manner of your disapproval of Mr Darcy?

维克先生,我得问你对达西先生有什麽不满?

My father managed his estate.

家父的工作是管理他的家产

We grew up together, Darcy and l.

达西和我一起长大

His father treated me like a second son, loved me like a son.

他父亲视我如己出

We were both with him the day he died.

他过世那天,我们都在他身边?

With his last breath,

在临终前

his father bequeathed me the rectory in his estate.

他父亲留给我他产业中的牧师住宅

He knew I had my heart set on joining the Church.

他知道我一心向往传教

But Darcy ignored his wishes and gave the living to another man.

但达西不理会把那块地给了别人

- But why? - Jealousy.

- 为什麽? - 忌妒

His father...

他父亲…

Well, he loved me better and Darcy couldn't stand it.

比较疼我而达西受不了?

- How cruel. - So now I'm a poor foot-soldier.

- 好残酷 - 所以我成了穷步兵

Too lowly even to be noticed.

阶级低到不会引人注意

[hums tune]

- Breathe in! - I can't anymore. You're hurting.

- 吸气 - 不行了啦,好痛

Betsy.

贝琪

Betsy!

贝琪

- There must've been a misunderstanding. - Jane, you never think ill of anybody. - 这其中一定有误会 - 妳没讨厌过任何人吗?

How could Mr Darcy do such a thing?

达西先生怎能做出这种事?

I will discover the truth from Mr Bingley this evening.

让我今晚跟宾利先生问清楚

Let Mr Darcy contradict it himself.

让达西先生自己驳斥这种说法

Till he does, I hope never to encounter him.

否则我再也不想见到他

Poor, unfortunate, Mr Wickham.

可怜的维克先生

Wickham is twice the man Darcy is.

完全相反维克比达西好

And, let us hope, a rather more willing dancer.

希望他比较喜欢跳舞

[man] There they are, look.

他们来了,你看?

- [lady] Oh, yes. - [man] Billy.

- 是的 - 比利

[man] Jane Martin is here.

珍马丁来了

May I say what an immense pleasure it is to see you again.

能再见到你真是极大的荣幸宾利先生

- Mrs Bennet. - Miss Bingley.

- 班奈特太太 - 宾利小姐

Charming.

很迷人?

I'm so pleased you're here.

我好高兴妳能来

So am l.

我也是

No, not at all, I was just admiring the general splendour.

没有,我只是欣赏这里的华丽

- It is breathtaking, Mr Bingley. - Good.

- 宾利先生,这里令人屏息 - 好的

[Mrs Bennet] You might have passed a few pleasantries with Mr Bingley.

你至少该跟宾利先生开些玩笑

[Mrs Bennet] I've never met a more pleasant gentleman in all my years.

我敢说我这辈子还没看过这麽讨人喜欢的绅士

Did you see how he dotes on her?

你看他多麽喜欢她

[Mrs Bennet] Dear Jane, always doing what's best for her family.

亲爱的珍总会为她的家人打算

[orchestra plays]

- Charlotte! - Lizzie!

- 夏绿蒂 - 伊莉莎白

- Have you seen Mr Wickham? - No. Perhaps he's through here.

- 妳看到维克先生没? - 没,也许他在这边

Lizzie, Mr Wickham is not here. Apparently, he's been detained.

伊莉莎白,维克先生不在这显然他被耽搁了

Detained where? He must be here.

在哪耽搁?他一定会来的

- There you are. - Mr Collins.

- 妳在这啊 - 柯林斯先生

Perhaps you will do me the honour, Miss Elizabeth.

希望妳能赏光,伊莉莎白小姐

Oh, I did not think you danced, Mr Collins.

我以为你不跳舞,柯林斯先生

I do not think it incompatible with the office of a clergyman.

我认为这和神职人员的工作并没有冲突

Several people, her Ladyship included, have complimented me

事实上很多人包括夫人都赞美我

on my lightness of foot.

脚步轻盈

[Jane] Apparently, your Mr Wickham has been called on some business to town. 很显然妳的维克先生有事留在城里了

Dancing is of little consequence to me, but it does...

跳舞对我并不重要,但…

...but it does afford the opportunity to lavish...

但可以提供我一个机会

-... upon one's partner attentions... - [Jane] My informer tells me...

- 透露意图给… - 有人告诉我…

...that he would be less inclined to be engaged, were it not for...

他其实没什麽要紧的事要办要不是…

...the presence of a certain gentleman.

在场的某位绅士

[Collins] Which is my primary object.

我主要的对象

[Lizzie] That gentleman barely warrants the name.

那位绅士不配称为绅士

[Collins] It is my intention, if I may be so bold,

若不会太鲁莽,我希望

to remain close to you throughout the evening.

整晚都能跟妳在一起

May I have the next dance, Miss Elizabeth?

伊莉莎白小姐能请妳跳下支舞吗?

You may.

可以

- Did I agree to dance with Mr Darcy? - I dare say you will find him amiable. - 我同意跟达西先生跳舞吗? - 我敢说妳会觉得他很亲切

It would be most inconvenient since I've sworn to loathe him for all eternity. 我已发誓永远讨厌他与他共舞实在很不方便

[# solo violin dance]

- [Lizzie] I love this dance. - [Darcy] lndeed. Most invigorating.

- 我喜欢这支舞 - 是的,很有精神

It is your turn to say something, Mr Darcy.

轮到你说些话了,达西先生

I talked about the dance.

我谈过这支舞?

Now you ought to remark on the size of the room or the number of couples.

现在你该谈谈这房间有几对佳偶

I'm perfectly happy to oblige. What would you like most to hear?

我很乐意,妳最想听什麽?

That reply will do for present.

目前这个回答就够了

[Lizzie] Perhaps by and by I may observe

也许我会渐渐认为

that private balls are much pleasanter than public ones.

私人舞会比公共舞会愉快得多

For now, we may remain silent.

现在我们还是保持安静吧

[Darcy] Do you talk as a rule while dancing?

妳认为跳舞时说话是种规矩吗?

No. No, I prefer to be unsociable and taciturn.

不,我情愿不要交际保持沉默

傲慢与偏见婚姻观的英文论文

傲慢与偏见婚姻观 main meaning: Marriage is the central topic in Austen's Pride and Prejudice and Emma: the plots of the novels and the actions of the characters revolve around marriage. For Austen's characters, marriage does not mean the act of ungoverned passion but a complex engagement between the marrying couple and society. Austen's characters are completely integrated into society and play out the stories within the social rules. Based on Socialist-feminism, this thesis examines social background in Austen's time and explores how social conditions influence females' psychological struggle and anxiety toward marriage. For Socialist-feminists, material factors shape women's marital consciousness in determinate ways. The discussions of male class and female status in the end of the eighteenth century are helpful for understanding why marriage is the central topic in Austen's novels. In a sense, marriage is regarded as a market place to exchange upward class mobility and financial support for Austen's characters. In order to achieve the goal of marriage, females are good at transforming themselves into commodities by displaying their appearances and accomplishments to appeal to male gazers. They realize that marriage can provide opportunities of class mobility and financial support; money and class are thus closely connected in their decision of marital partners. keywords: Plot overview ;.Analysis of the major character ;Themes ;Motifs ;Pride and Prejudice ;marriage The feeling of 《Pride And Prejudice》 Then man treat great event in one's life with punishing, Demonstrate different attitudes to the love question of the marriage of young girl of the family origin of middle class of villages and towns, Thus reflected authors oneself's marriage view: It is wrong to get married for the property, money and position; Get married and does not consider that above-mentioned factors are unwise too . So, she objects to getting married for money , objecting to regarding the marriage as a trifling matter . She emphasizes the importance of the ideal marriage , and regard men and women's emotion as the foundation stone which concludes the ideal marriage . The woman protagonist in the book Elizabeth comes from the little landlord's family, reaches the west to have deep love for for the rich and powerful people sons and younger brothers. Reach the disparity of ignoring family status and wealth of the west, propose to her, but is refused. Elizabeth's

傲慢与偏见摘录英文

The distance is nothing ,when one has a motive. Mrs.Bennet’s eyes sparkled with pleasure. We must trespass a litter longer on your kindness. Mrs.Bennet was profuse in her acknowledgements. I often tell my other girls they are nothing to her. That is my idea of good breading;and those persons who fancy themselves very important and never open their mouths , quiet mistake the matter. A lady’s imagination is very rapid;it jumps from admiration to love,from love to matrimony . Pride relates more to our opinion of ourselves,vanity to what we would have others think of us. He is ate up with pride. Upon my word ! Affectation of candour is common enough –one meets it everywhere.But to be candid without ostentation or design—to take the good of everybody’s character and make it still better , and say nothing of the bad—belongs to you alone Mr. Bennet was so odd a mixture of quick parts, sarcastic humor, reserve, and caprice, that the experience of three and twenty years had been insufficient to make his wife understand his character. Everything nourishes what is strong already. She had high animal spirits,and a sort of self-consequence. The day passed much as the day before had done.

最新-英语论文(傲慢与偏见) 精品

On Jane Austen’s Point of View of Marriage in Pride and Prejudice Acknowledgements This thesis has finally come into being to meet critical eyes through two months of hard work. From the very beginning when I chose the topic till the completion of the thesis, I have benefited from many people . First of all I would like to show my sincere gratitude to my tutor, Shen Guozheng. Without his sincere and trustworthy guidance,valuable suggestions and critical comments,it would be difficult for me to accomplish this thesis.His loyalty to teaching and punctilious work style has profoundly impressed me. Moreover, I heartily thank all the teachers who have helped me in the past four years, who have provided me with incentives and direction for my study. Thanks are also due to my classmates and friends for their constant encouragement and their ways of assistance in the course of writing. Last but not least, I would like to take this opportunity to thank my family members, for their selfless support,thoughtfulness and encouragement.

《傲慢与偏见》英文经典语句

这段精彩对白发生在雨中,伊丽莎白听说姐姐---简的婚事被破坏了,冒雨外出以发泄情绪,达西随后追出,在石亭中,达西抛开世俗向伊丽莎白表露心迹,但是伊丽莎白认为达西破坏了姐姐的婚礼,怀着怒火拒绝了达西,虽然她也同样爱着达西。 Mr Darcy: Miss Elizabeth. I have struggled in vain and can bear it no longer. These past months have been a torment. I came to Rosings only to see you. I have fought against judgement, my family's expectation,the inferiority of your birth, my rank. I will put them aside and ask you to end my agony. Miss Elizabeth: I don't understand. Mr Darcy: I love you.Most ardently. Please do me the honour of accepting my hand. Miss Elizabeth: Sir, I appreciate the struggle you have been through, and I am very sorry to have caused you pain. It was unconsciously done. Mr Darcy: Is this your reply? Miss Elizabeth: Yes, sir. Mr Darcy: Are you laughing at me? Miss Elizabeth: No. Mr Darcy: Are you rejecting me? Miss Elizabeth: I'm sure the feelings which hindered your regard will help you overcome it. Mr Darcy: Might I ask why with so little civility I am thus repulsed? Miss Elizabeth: I might enquire why you told me you liked me against your better judgement? If I was uncivil, then that is some excuse. But you know I have other reasons. Mr Darcy: What reasons? Miss Elizabeth: Do you think anything might tempt me to accept the man who has ruined the happiness of a most beloved sister? Do you deny that you separated a young couple who loved each other, exposing your friend to censure for caprice and my sister to derision for disappointed hopes, involving them both in acute misery? Mr Darcy: I do not deny it. Miss Elizabeth: How could you do it? Mr Darcy: I believed your sister indifferent to him. I realised his attachment was deeper than hers.

傲慢与偏见英文简介3篇精华版

《傲慢与偏见英文简介》 傲慢与偏见英文简介(一): 傲慢与偏见英文简介 Elizabeth Bennet, a smart, kind country girl, is the second of the five daughters in her family。 The family has no son, so it is the cousin, Mr。 Collins that inherits[1] the fortune。 Mrs。 Bennet is always finding rich husbands for her five daughters。 The appearance of Mr。 Bingley and Mr。 Darcy makes the familys life different。 The two gentlemen attend a ball。 Then Mr。 Bingley makes a good impression, while Mr。 Darcy appears proud and refuses to dance with Elizabeth。 Soon after, Darcy finds himself fond of Elizabeth, but he tries to hide his feeling。 Later the cousin Mr。 Collins visits the family。 He wants to choose Jane as his wife。 However, she is engaged with Mr。 Bingley。Then Collins thinks Elizabeth is also a good choice, while he is refused again。 At the same time, Elizabeth meets Mr。 Wickham, a militia officer who says Darcy has cheated him。 This increases Elizabeths dislike of Mr。 Darcy。 Mr。 Collins recovers from the refusal and bees engaged to Elizabeths good friend, Charlotte。 Mrs。Bennet is very disappointed as Mr。 Bingley also breaks the relationship with Jane。 伊丽莎白班内特是一个聪慧善良的乡村姑娘,在五个姐妹中她排行老二。由于没有儿子, 这个家族的财产只能由女儿们的表兄柯林斯先生继承。班内特太太一心想要把五个女儿都嫁给 有钱的绅士。当相当富有的宾利先生和达西先生出现时,姐妹们的生活不再平静。他们参加了 当地的一场公共舞会。然而,在舞会上达西表现得很傲慢,他拒绝与伊丽莎白跳舞。相反,宾 利先生却被公认为是个优秀的令人愉快的绅士。之后不久,达西发现自我逐渐喜欢上了伊丽莎白,可他却竭力隐藏这份爱慕。 表哥柯林斯先生不久之后访。他本想娶大姐珍为妻,却被告知珍已经和宾利先生订婚。之 后他便将目光转向伊丽莎白,也遭到坚定的拒绝。同时,伊丽莎白认识了军官韦克翰先生,在 交谈中韦克翰提到达西曾欺骗过他,这使得伊丽莎白更加不喜欢达西。遭到拒绝的柯林斯先生 并没有放下,他转而向伊丽莎白的好友夏洛特求婚,并得到了应允。班内特太太对此十分失望,并且此时宾利先生也离开了珍。 傲慢与偏见英文简介(二): Pride and Prejudice is a novel by Jane Austen, first published in 1813。 The story follows the main character Elizabeth Bennet as she deals with issues of manners, upbringing, morality, education,and marriage in the society of the landed gentry of early 19th-

《傲慢与偏见》英语论文(1)

湖北省高等教育自学考试英语专业毕业论文论《傲慢与偏见》留给世人的感想 准考证号:013510210640 学生姓名:李月辉 指导教师:赵红英 二○一二年九月

On the "Pride and Prejudice" for the feelings of the world Li Yuehui Tutor: Zhao Hongying September 2012

摘要 作为英国文学的经典之作,有关《傲慢与偏见》的研究几乎从未间断过。《傲慢与偏见》是简·奥斯汀脍炙人口的艺术精品,具有很高的可读性和艺术性。作者在作品的题材选择、人物塑造以及艺术表现手法三个方面都别具匠心,具有不朽的审美价值和艺术价值。同时,《傲慢与偏见》也一直是英国人心目中的经典书目,它在英国人心目中的地位仍然超过流行。我在该论文中论述的主要内容包括:对小说作者的介绍和当时18世纪末到19世纪初处于保守和闭塞状态下的英国乡镇生活和世态人情的介绍,仔细研究小说中爱情、金钱与婚姻之间的纠葛,挖掘作品中的内在矛盾性和各个人物特征以及他们在整部小说中所起的独特作用,以夹叙夹议、不断归纳、不断总结的方式论证文章的观点。 关键词:《傲慢与偏见》;审美;女性主义;戏剧性;反讽

ABSTRACT English literature classic, The Pride and Prejudice is almost never stopped. The Pride and Prejudice is Jane Austen thrilling fine arts, has the very high readability and artistic quality. The author in the works of subject choice and characterization and artistic methods three aspects does not provide craftsmanship, has the immortality of aesthetic value and artistic value. At the same time, The Pride and Prejudice, and has also been the British seared in the minds of bibliography, it in the mind of the British position still more than popular. The paper discusses the main content including: introduction to the novel of the end of the 18th century to 19th century early in the under conservative and occlusion state of England township life and state of the world favors the introduction carefully study the novel of love, money and marriage of disputes between mining the inherent contradictions in the works and character features and the unique role they played in the entire novel, a narrative proposal and continue to be summarized, constantly sum up the view of the demonstration article. Key words:The Pride and Prejudice; aesthetic; feminism; dramatic; irony

傲慢与偏见译文分析

《傲慢与偏见》(节选之一)译文分析 Pride and Prejudice By Jane Austen (An Excerpt from Chapter One) 第一句:"It is a truth universally acknowledged that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of wife."*在本文中"It is a truth universally acknowledged"在七个译文中,大多译为“一条举世公认的真理”。在译文一二三六中,几乎无差;但在译文四中,则直接译为“一条真理”;而在译文五中则译为“这条真理无人知晓”;译文七则为“谁都知道;在其余部分"single man"通常被译为“单身男人”或者“单身男士”。七篇译文各有千秋,译文一和二译为“娶位太太”;三译得颇有文采“娶妻室”;而四中而贫乏无味又显得庸长;五用的是“娶妻”用的不是很妥当,且与“单身汉”不呼应;译文七也是如此。 第二句:"However little known the feelings or views of such a man may be on his first entering a neighborhood, this truth is so well fixed in the minds of the surrounding families, that he is considered as the rightful property of some one or other of their daughters."*在这七则译文中,文字上各有不同的修辞,修饰。在译文二三六七中,译者把"this truth is so well fixed in ...families"这句提放在句首,句式结构很具有逻辑性;而译文一则比较繁杂,啰嗦;在译文四中则把这句放在了句尾,没有起到强调作用;在译文五则译得比较贴切而又不失逻辑。 第三句:"'My dear Mr Bennet',said his lady to him one day, have you heard that Netherfield Park is let at last?"*在译文一中,译者把“My dear Mr Bennet"译成“我的好老爷”,个人觉得用的不是很恰当,“老爷”这一词太偏中式化了;而在二三四五六七中,则均译为“亲爱的本内特先生”,给人一种太正式化的印象,夫妻之间的谈话更应亲密些;译文五译得比较好些;而在叙述句中,"said his lady to him one day"译文一四五把此译文放在了第一句,其他的则放在原句位置,个人认为放在句首更加贴切。 第四句:"Mr Bennet replied that he had not."*这句简单的译文七句也各不相同。"replied"这词在译文一二三六七中均译成了“回答”,而that从句后后的"he had not"原句应为"he had not heard that",所以则译为“他还没听说”或是“他还没知道”,个人认为这句,在译文一至七都译得比较不错,贴近原文意思。 第五句:"But it is,returned she.For Ms Long has just been here,and she told me all about it."*译文"But it is"一至七中,译文二三译为“的确租出去了”;译文三则“可确是租出去了”’译文四则为“但的确已经租出去了”;文五则为“当真租出去了”;译文六与七则译为“确实租出去了”。在此七句中,我认为译文五译得比较贴切。"returned she"大多数译文则译为“她接着说道”。"all about it"有些译文译得比较繁琐,尤其是译文一;译文二三四六七比较恰当;译文四用了“原委”二字,非常生动形象。

Pride and Prejudice 傲慢与偏见 中英文双语简介

Pride and Prejudice Pride and Prejudice is a novel by Jane Austen, first published in 1813. The story follows the main character Elizabeth Bennet as she deals with issues of manners, upbringing, morality, education, and marriage in the society of the landed gentry of early 19th-century England. Elizabeth is the second of five daughters of a country gentleman living near the fictional town of Meryton in Hertfordshire, near London. Though the story is set at the turn of the 19th century, it retains a fascination for modern readers, continuing near the top of lists of 'most loved books' such as The Big Read.[1] It has become one of the most popular novels in English literature and receives considerable attention from literary scholars. Modern interest in the book has resulted in a number of dramatic adaptations and an abundance of novels and stories imitating Austen's memorable characters or themes. To date, the book has sold some 20 million copies worldwide Plot summary The narrative opens with Mr Bingley, a wealthy, charming and social young bachelor, moving into Netherfield Park in the neighbourhood of the Bennet family. Mr Bingley is soon well received, while his friend Mr Darcy makes a less favorable first impression by appearing proud and condescending at a ball that they attend (this is partly explained in that he detests dancing and is not much for light conversation). Mr Bingley singles out Elizabeth's elder sister, Jane, for particular attention, and it soon becomes apparent that they have formed an attachment to each other. By contrast, Darcy slights Elizabeth, who overhears and jokes about it despite feeling a budding resentment. On paying a visit to Mr Bingley's sister, Jane is caught in a heavy downpour, catches cold, and is forced to stay at Netherfield for several days. Elizabeth arrives to nurse her sister and is thrown into frequent company with Mr Darcy, who begins to perceive his attachment to her, but is too proud to proceed on this feeling. Mr Collins, a clergyman, pays a visit to the Bennets. Mr Bennet and Elizabeth are much amused by his obsequious veneration of his employer, the noble Lady Catherine de Bourgh, as well as by his self-important and pedantic nature. It soon becomes apparent that Mr Collins has come to Longbourn to choose a wife from among the Bennet sisters (his cousins) and Elizabeth has been singled out. At the same time, Elizabeth forms an acquaintance with Mr Wickham, a militia officer who claims to have been very seriously mistreated by Mr Darcy, despite having been a ward of Mr Darcy's father. This tale, and Elizabeth's attraction to Mr Wickham, adds fuel to her dislike of Mr Darcy. At a ball given by Mr Bingley at Netherfield, Mr Darcy becomes aware of a general expectation that Mr Bingley and Jane will marry, and the Bennet family, with the

英语论文开题报告范文 傲慢与偏见

On the Relationship between Money and Marriage in Pride and Prejudice 《傲慢与偏见》中金钱与婚姻的关系 On the Relationship between Money and Marriage in Pride and Prejudice I.Literature Review Pride and Prejudice is a very popular novel written by Jane Austen and it is read widely all over the world. It was written in 1813. That specific history time decided that people at that time took money much more seriously, even on their marriage. From the ancient times to the present, there are many studies about Jane Austen and her major works. In 1813, Oxford World's Classics for the first time recorded and published the work Pride and Prejudice and aroused great repercussion around the world. Then, in 1826 after the work has been widely read, Sir Walter Scott analyzed Pride and Prejudice from an overall perspective. In his article “The Journal of Sir Walter Scott”, he summarized the features of Jane Austen, he said that “Jane Austen has a talent for describing the involvements and feelings and characters of ordinary life which is to me the most wonderful that I ever met with.”The background of Pride and

傲慢与偏见读书笔记英文

In this term,I read a book which named .The author is Jane Austen,.When I first knew this art work, because I watched the movie acted by Kara Knightly and so many famous stars .But this term I read the original work .And I realize the difference between them . After I briefly knew the author -Jane Austen .About her life ,her experience .I found she was an sensitive,strong in mental ,maverick and independent woman.I do really admire her.In 1775 December she birthed to this world.She has eight brothers and sisters.Her father,who had served in that area for forty years,and he also was a encyclopedic clergyman .And the same her mother ,came from an welfare family,she also had certain cultural accomplishment. Therefore, even though Jane ha dn’t go to the official school,because of the great family condition and the environment of reading books .All of those give her the chances to learn by herself and then build up the interests about writing.When she was only thirteen or fourteen years old,she stared to writing something she liked.This showed her talent about her language expression.In the1800,her father retired,and they moved to somewhere,but Jane didn’t like there.At there,Jane refused the marriage from a teenager who will inherited a larg e fortune,just because she didn’t like him.The gods throw out the questions ,we human need to find ,to choose the answers by ourselves.The answer from this problem is probably not "no" to us now. Although our hearts still have some expectation for love, we believe that love is sacred. But gradually, like wealth, background, politics, more and more things go beyond love, above all else, to our life,to our heart. In 1796 ,at 20 she met Lefroy.She fall in love with this clever young Irish lawyer. However, the pastor's family - Jane’s father wanted the son-in-law would have the financial strength in the future but at that time lefroy was a poor boy. Lefroy’s family who had six children, was also determined to marry with a wealthy family, so he was asked to retur n to Ireland. They never saw each other again. In Jane’s letter to her sister Cassandra, said: "Finally, the day has come, and I will say goodbye to Tom Lefroy. And when you get this letter, it's all over. I can't help but cry at the thought. Her unforgettable first love was forced to break up,she chose never marry for the whole life,and put the all emotions and feelings devoted to the literary creation. What make me impressively is her attitude to the people ,world,and to herself.The world and people hurt her ,break up she and her lover,make her never marry,but she still keep her mind to the world,put all her love to the literary creation,write the sweet,profound work for the people. To tell them ,among the millions of people in the world, it likes a miracle to meet someone you love who loves you as much as you do. And do not cherish this person is how ignorant and pitiful.A person may be arrogant but not vain.In most cases, pride is nothing more than what we think of ourselves ,but vanity refers to how we v alue other people’s evaluation of us. In fact, there are few people I really like. The more I look at the world, the less satisfied I am, and the more I believe that every day, I believe that all kinds of peo ple are capricious, and that the good things what appeared on the surface are untru stworthy. But then I can't tell you exactly when, where, what kind of style , what kind of talk I heard, which all of those made me fall in love with you gradually.It was

相关文档
相关文档 最新文档