1. 我们应该尽最大努力预测地震，这样地震造成的财产破坏才会被尽可能地避免。(Use "so that".)
We should try our best to forecast earthquakes so that destruction of property caused by them could be prevented as much as possible.
2. 一个农民注意到有很多鱼在水面上游动，他说这预示着可能有地震发生。(Use "which" clause.)
A farmer noticed large schools of fish swimming near the surface of the water, which, he said, indicated the possible occurrence of an earthquake.
Keep an English-English dictionary handy, and when you cannot understand a word with accuracy, you may refer to it any time.
If necessary, people who live in the area where an earthquake is about to occur may sleep in tents.
A master's degree does make a great difference to a student who wants to get a job. 6. 这本书除了告诉我们地震方面的知识外，还告诉我们如何做好预防工作。
In addition to the knowledge about earthquakes, the book tells us how to prepare for them.
1. 因此，以盖茨为首席执行官的微软还能走多远依然是个有趣的问题。(Use "as to".)
An interesting question therefore remains as to how far Microsoft can go with Gates as its CEO.
2. 抱怨是没有用的，因为抱怨并改变不了什么。重要的是得采取措施预防类似事件发生。There's no use complaining since nothing ever changes as the result of a complaint. What's important is to take measures to prevent similar events from happening.
Learn to accept the fact that some people you thought were friends turn out to be enemies.
As you would expect from the book's title, there are many references to what kind of man Gates is.
The prosperity of the company stems from hardworking and thrifty of the entire staff.
He said nothing at all on the subject of the play which was put on for the first time Saturday night.
It sounds like a good idea, but what if it's a trick?
2. 这一地区的城镇因为地震遭受了很大的损失，受灾最严重的地方包括九江和瑞昌。(with + n. + prepositional phrase)
Cities and towns in this area suffered a lot from the earthquake with Jiujiang and Ruichang among
He complained that they should not have got involved in it in the first place.
For Mary's sake, I can lend you my car to get around your transport problem.
In theory it's feasible to clone a child to harvest organs, but in practice it would be psychologically harmful to the child.
He published an article under the name of Braver which stresses the idea that the process of cloning animals would work for humans as well.
1. 昨天传来消息说，他们在试图登上峰顶时遇难了。(while + V-ing)
Word came yesterday that they were killed while trying to reach the summit.
Under no circumstances shall I mention to anyone that I have turned down the invitation to her wedding.
It made the headlines that the president's wife threatened her husband with public exposure.
4. 那位富有的女士再三要求签订婚前协议，令其未婚夫自尊心大受伤害，结果以拒婚告终That wealthy lady's repeated demand for a premarital agreement greatly harmed her prospective husband's self-esteem and ended up in his refusal to get married.
Make no mistake about it, some women would insist on the right to get a divorce if their husbands did not earn as much as they expected.
The casual discovery of the fingerprint shed some light on the murder he had been looking into. 10
1. 我去了图书馆，查阅我能找到的所有关于在百慕大三角地区(Bermuda Triangle) 船只和飞机神秘失踪的报道。
I went to the library and read whatever I could find about the causes of the mysterious disappearances of the ships and planes in the Bermuda Triangle.
Continue treating friends like this, and you will lose them all.
They must know their product thoroughly and know how to promote sales by word of mouth, telephone or letter.
It suddenly dawned on me that money couldn't make up for all that he had suffered in the past five years.
Some people refer to translation as science while others take it as art.
Instead of imposing personal views upon others, we should promote democracy.